Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

The Burren & Connemara Public Transportation

UberGeekyGirl

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 6th, 2006
So, I'm getting e-mails back from some of the B&Bs I'm interested in staying at, asking a few questions and getting nervous about the answers.

I'm staying in places like Ballyvaughan, Clifden, Letterfrack, Leenane, and Doolin and from what I'm understanding from the e-mails is that I'm either gonna have to rent a car or walk everywhere I go.

I understand that this forum is mostly for backpackers and whatnot, but sadly thats not the type of traveller I am. I was counting on public transportation to get me from the sites but now I'm worried there won't be that option. I really don't think I wanna try driving on the opposite side of the road on my first solo trip. I dunno. And I wasn't expecting that extra expense. *sigh*

I'm starting to freak out and my trip is scheduled for April 2nd. Someone ease my nerves, give me good information.

Thanks!
Raquel

gonorth

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

The missus in her younger years trapsed around Ireland a bit and had to do some hoofing and then had hostel owners giving them a lift back to where transport was available.
I'd reckon that you ought toask the B&B's how close buses run and whether they could arrange a pick-up if you ring ahead.
Even if it means the occasional use of a taxi, it'l probably be cheaper than hiring a car. You'll also find particularly in the country areas that you'l pick up a free ride pretty easily too.
---...--- ---...--- ---...--- ---...---
Joes portly antipodean pal
He just wants my port and cherry ripes

Jester

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

In Doolin there's a couple places you can rent a bike to get around. To get to Doolin there's a bus stop, comes I think 2-3 times a day. If you get to a bus station, explain where you want to go, and the people working there i found very very helpful. You can get a schedule.

I don't know about the other places you've mentioned, but you absolutely can get a bus to Doolin. I took a bus there.

amhran

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Oh yes, you can get a bus to Doolin and from there you can walk to the Cliffs of Moher. The whole area there is beautiful. For further afield stuff in the Burren (it's a huge area actually), biking is an option. You will definitely find friendly fellow hostellers with cars who will take you with them since they will be going there themselves anyway. That's exactly what happened to me! Made friends like crazy really easily--no worries for rides at all!

Also, for the best and friendliest hostel in Doolin--I recommend the Aille River hostel--it rocks!

I stayed in that part of Clare (west) for a month including Doolin, Ennis, Lisdoonvarna--so if you have any more questions about that part of the world feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer!

Jester

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by amhran:
Also, for the best and friendliest hostel in Doolin--I recommend the Aille River hostel--it rocks!

Yup, that's where I stayed too. Good times.

Missa25

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2006
I stayed at Paddys Doolin Hostel and it was wonderful. The bus station is right out side, and it is about a mile walk to the pier. I was there before the high season hit so there were two busses that went to Doolin a day. In the high season there are much more. You wont need a car.

Where are you saying in Leenane? The Sleep Zone Hostel has a bus that leaves from Galway for 5 euro to the Leenane hostel. And the people at Sleep Zone are great! Again if it is not high season when you are there, there is not a public bus that goes through Leenane. I ran into that problem, you just have to get creative. I took a tour bus to get there. I payed for the whole day trip that made a big circle around the Connemara and just got off at Leenane. Hitch hiking is a thought while you are in the Connemara. If you choose that keep your whits about you and don't get in a car that you are not comfortable with. That is how I got to Kylemore Abbey.

you'll have a great time in the Connemara! It is my favorite spot!

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2006
Okay, the towns that you've mentioned are decently connected by public transit...if memory serves there's a bus route that runs the Connemara loop 2 or 3 times a day. (So that would cover at least Lenane and Clifden.) And there's another bus from Galway to Doolin. The other towns you mention, I haven't been to, and the names don't ring any bells, but check out Bus Eireann. The trouble comes in if you're staying out of town, and yes, unless you sign up for a tour, many of the interesting sites require foot power, though often bike rentals are available.

As for renting a car - I did that one weekend, and you get used the backwardsness pretty quickly. The expense is a problem, but if you're not willing to walk/bike, you may have to spring for it.

And lastly, quite frankly, I don't really recommend Clifden. It's very touristy, and I found the scenery a bit disappointing compared to some of the places that the bus drove through to get there. And the bike I rented had its rear brakes go halfway through my ride, so I had some frightening riding with only my front brake to help. So the last one probably won't affect you, the first two might. Or you might go and love it, but it was one of my Irish disappointments, so I wanted to share.

Gaillimhabu21

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 9th, 2006
Hey,
I'm from Galway and know the spots you're interested in seeing well. Public transport is a bit non existent down those parts so I'd recommend using Galway as your base. There's great bus trips that will take you up or down the west coast at reasonable prices. I'd be inclined to agree with 2wanderers in relation to Clifden, it's a great spot for kayaking but is a bit touristy. Kinvara, Ballyvaughn, Fanore & Lahinch is a beautiful route to take. It's coast road the whole way and you might spot the wild dolphin on the way through Fanore. The roads are very narrow so have your wits about you biking or driving but it can be done. The cliffs are along this route and are obviously a must see. I've seen many a bus take this route. I'm sure there'll be many fellow travellers willing to give u a seat in their car too. The Aran Islands are worth the boat trip too. One tip I have is try and take in a game of hurling when your here. Even if you're not that into sports it's an experience to see. It's the fastest land sport and the skill levels (for amateurs) is incredible. Ask at any hostel or B& B you're staying in, they'll have info on when the next match is. Hope something has been of help! Go neiri an ta leat! Smile

Emcarm

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2006
Dont worry and dont hire a car if youll stress out.
If you do decide to stay around Doolin, Ballyvaughan, Ennis you wont have a problem with public transport. Only thing is the buses are limited to a few a day during the time you are visiting. Usually one early in the morning around 8am and one midday, and one returning midafternoon and evening. So they are there, and you wont end up stranded....
The main problem with transport in this area is if you want to get right out into the wild Burren area. You can hire a bike but still only get so far, otherwise you might run into some cool hostel people with a car who'll take you along with them. Cliffs of Moher are a fairly easy (and beautiful) 2 hour walk from Doolin
Personally Id rather stay on the coast (Yay Doolin) and trip around into towns from there but if your schedule is tight and you want to fit alot in then yeah Galway might be a good idea in terms of having frequent transport.
In Galway Sleepzone and Barnacles are both fine, but I always stay at Salmon Weir Hostel for its homely friendly atmosphere.
I'll be in Doolin sometime in April...might see you there!

UberGeekyGirl

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 17th, 2006
I'm very excited about going and if when I get there I don't get the public transportation I need perhaps then I'll just breakdown and rent a car for a day or so then take the bus to the next big area. I'm staying on the west coast. Co. Clare and Galway.

Emcarm

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2006
You'll love it
And just have to say you chose a very appropriate day to post your last message...17th March....
Anyway have fun!

Return to Europe Travel