Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

things I wish I'd known before leaving for Oz and NZ

hanee

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: australia, new zealand, hostels, working holiday visa
  • Added on: December 21st, 2010
it obviously doesn't mean lemonade, but thats what they gave me. they didnt give me the lemonade that sprite makes, they gave me sprite, the carbonated soft drink sprite...and insisted that it was lemonade. the waitress was actually offended why i asked her why she gave me sprite instead of lemonade, i told her it was ok but she kept on about how when people order lemonade here in new zealand she has always given them a sprite...

sanntick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2010
My friend went to NZ for honeymoon. He had faced the same rainy weather, and since he didn't do any research, he had to buy raincoats. Thus I went prepared. But tell me who carries shoes while traveling ! This is silly.
Great discounts for non profit organizations and people who would love to book their cruises or travel.

pomegranate

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 29th, 2010
hanee wrote:they didnt give me the lemonade that sprite makes, they gave me sprite, the carbonated soft drink sprite...and insisted that it was lemonade.

I encountered this too, but the opposite way around- I am Australian, and whilst travelling in the USA, felt like a "lemonade" in a restaurant. They gave me a drink that tasted like it had actual lemons in it! I was expecting a Sprite-like drink. I guess the word has different meanings. Schweppes Lemonade is just like Sprite, and as you can see it is actually called Lemonade and everything.

From wikipedia:
"Likewise, in the UK, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand the term mainly refers to a colourless, carbonated, sweet soft drink containing either natural or artificial lemon flavor, such as Schweppes Lemonade."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemonade

FreeFlyingMe

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2011
Haha this is a great thread - absolutely love all the stuff about tim tams vs. penguins and vegemite vs. marmite, etc. I'd add in my two cents but nobody's going to like it (I'm American...) TIM TAMS RULE! And both vegemite and marmite are... how should I say this... disgusting!?! Haha sorry!

PDXnative

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 21st, 2011
Hideo wrote:Sprite is a brand name which makes lemonade - it doesn't mean lemonade. In fact in Australia, I would try Solo if you want a nice lemonade drink - more of a cloudy/yellow lemonade style rather than clear, and far mroe delicious IMO.

I'm confused. Sprite is a carbonated Coca Cola product. Is that what you are referring to? I cannot see how Sprite, as a product, can make another product.
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 21st, 2011
PDXnative wrote:
Hideo wrote:Sprite is a brand name which makes lemonade - it doesn't mean lemonade. In fact in Australia, I would try Solo if you want a nice lemonade drink - more of a cloudy/yellow lemonade style rather than clear, and far mroe delicious IMO.

I'm confused. Sprite is a carbonated Coca Cola product. Is that what you are referring to? I cannot see how Sprite, as a product, can make another product.

Yes but don't forget OZ is down-under & everything is upside down. :lol:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

PDXnative

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 24th, 2011
busman7 wrote:
PDXnative wrote:

Yes but don't forget OZ is down-under & everything is upside down. :lol:

I guess so! :D
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW

Previous

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel