Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

things I wish I'd known before leaving for Oz and NZ

hanee

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 14
Joined: August 16th, 2009

Share on Orkut

Tags: australia, new zealand, hostels, working holiday visa
  • Added on: December 21st, 2010
it obviously doesn't mean lemonade, but thats what they gave me. they didnt give me the lemonade that sprite makes, they gave me sprite, the carbonated soft drink sprite...and insisted that it was lemonade. the waitress was actually offended why i asked her why she gave me sprite instead of lemonade, i told her it was ok but she kept on about how when people order lemonade here in new zealand she has always given them a sprite...

sanntick

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 9
Joined: December 21st, 2010
Location: Ashburn, GA, USA

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: December 21st, 2010
My friend went to NZ for honeymoon. He had faced the same rainy weather, and since he didn't do any research, he had to buy raincoats. Thus I went prepared. But tell me who carries shoes while traveling ! This is silly.
Great discounts for non profit organizations and people who would love to book their cruises or travel.

pomegranate

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 1
Joined: November 4th, 2010

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: December 29th, 2010
hanee wrote:they didnt give me the lemonade that sprite makes, they gave me sprite, the carbonated soft drink sprite...and insisted that it was lemonade.


I encountered this too, but the opposite way around- I am Australian, and whilst travelling in the USA, felt like a "lemonade" in a restaurant. They gave me a drink that tasted like it had actual lemons in it! I was expecting a Sprite-like drink. I guess the word has different meanings. Schweppes Lemonade is just like Sprite, and as you can see it is actually called Lemonade and everything.

From wikipedia:
"Likewise, in the UK, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand the term mainly refers to a colourless, carbonated, sweet soft drink containing either natural or artificial lemon flavor, such as Schweppes Lemonade."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemonade

FreeFlyingMe

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 3
Joined: January 6th, 2011

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 7th, 2011
Haha this is a great thread - absolutely love all the stuff about tim tams vs. penguins and vegemite vs. marmite, etc. I'd add in my two cents but nobody's going to like it (I'm American...) TIM TAMS RULE! And both vegemite and marmite are... how should I say this... disgusting!?! Haha sorry!

PDXnative

User avatar
Lost in Place
 
Posts: 96
Joined: December 29th, 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 21st, 2011
Hideo wrote:Sprite is a brand name which makes lemonade - it doesn't mean lemonade. In fact in Australia, I would try Solo if you want a nice lemonade drink - more of a cloudy/yellow lemonade style rather than clear, and far mroe delicious IMO.


I'm confused. Sprite is a carbonated Coca Cola product. Is that what you are referring to? I cannot see how Sprite, as a product, can make another product.
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW

busman7

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: Traveling for a while away from Playa San Diego SV

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 21st, 2011
PDXnative wrote:
Hideo wrote:Sprite is a brand name which makes lemonade - it doesn't mean lemonade. In fact in Australia, I would try Solo if you want a nice lemonade drink - more of a cloudy/yellow lemonade style rather than clear, and far mroe delicious IMO.


I'm confused. Sprite is a carbonated Coca Cola product. Is that what you are referring to? I cannot see how Sprite, as a product, can make another product.


Yes but don't forget OZ is down-under & everything is upside down. :lol:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

PDXnative

User avatar
Lost in Place
 
Posts: 96
Joined: December 29th, 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 24th, 2011
busman7 wrote:
PDXnative wrote:
Hideo wrote:Sprite is a brand name which makes lemonade - it doesn't mean lemonade. In fact in Australia, I would try Solo if you want a nice lemonade drink - more of a cloudy/yellow lemonade style rather than clear, and far mroe delicious IMO.


I'm confused. Sprite is a carbonated Coca Cola product. Is that what you are referring to? I cannot see how Sprite, as a product, can make another product.


Yes but don't forget OZ is down-under & everything is upside down. :lol:


I guess so! :D
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW


Previous

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

PLEASE NOTE: Your original BootsnAll Boards Member login still works by logging in below on the Boards.
We have a new BootsnAll Account that you will start seeing around the BootsnAll Travel Network. This new login is not yet linked to your current Boards Account. In the meantime, you will need to sign up (for a BootsnAll Account) to use Account features like Indie ™ , Traveler Profiles etc.

Quick Links

Community Activity

Statistics for the last 7 days

New posts:
0
Newest Member:
Stephen


Indie - Multi Country Flight Finder
Round the World Travelers


Join BootsnAll on Facebook

1 (503) 528-1005

© 2019 BootsnAll Travel Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.