Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Things to do/stay in and around David Panama

panamaniac420

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: panama, spa, david, chiriqui, hostel, hostal, hot springs, beach, hydrotherapy, colonic, raw food, living food, backpacker, hotel, central america, costa rica
  • Added on: December 21st, 2010
Hi All

I love Panama and i stay often in David, Panama. It is a great location near beaches, hot springs, mountain villages and rain forest, dont overlook David or Chiriqui it is the best part of Panama..below are a few highlights:

1) Just left http://bambuhostel.com, they are in david panama near costa rica and are now offering spa services like, massage, hydrotherapy, yoga and living food/rawfood detox. Bambu is one of the only budget hostels, with a pool offering this kind of service..this could be a new trend in backpacking, high end services at local prices, while maintaining a communal hostel atmosphere..for info on the hydrotherapy see http://www.coloncleansepanama.com there is a link to the hostel there as well...hostel itself is great, relaxing pool with flower and fruit gardens as well as hammocks and rancho.

2)While in David i went back to the hot springs in Caldera for $2 i spent the day in the very hot healing waters, located on the road to boquete, tell bus driver to let you off at the Caldera highway entrance and grab a taxi or small bus from there tell them to let you off at the 'Pozo Termales' then you have to walk down a dirt road for 30-40 minutes, bring a hat as the sun is strong and a bottle of water..you can also swim in the nearby river and i found a small hot spring in the river itself next to the edge of the water..make sure you leave before 4PM as transport back to main highway stops at 5PM..i got stranded but hitched out without a problem..

3) Go to Barqueta Beach, 23 KM from David, a quiet and very long beach with large waves and strong undertoe so swim close to the beach if you are not surfing! Beers at the beach are .75 and there is cheap seafood there as well..you can get there from main bus terminal ask the locals which bus goes there, you may have to take a taxi the last few kms..should cost about 4 dollars each way with bus and taxi..bottom line it is a really nice beach with big waves and warm water..paradise!

If you come to David a great time is Jan Feb or March during the Patron Saint festivals and then Carnaval and the famous 'feria' or fair of David Panama in mid march a party you dont want to miss.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Another good thing about David are the buses out of town! :bow:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:Another good thing about David are the buses out of town! :bow:

okay that cracked me up!
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

purplepixie

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 22nd, 2010
The hospital in David was pretty neat. Went there as an emergency with a painful eye infection, seen in 10 minutes, cost $5.

Check out the lost and found ecolodge, on the road between David and Bocas.......great place. Lost several days in the forest around there!!

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 26th, 2010
I assume you're a local business man trying to boost tourism as David is an exceedingly ugly town with nothing to recommend it inside it's borders (other than the baseball). Anybody travelling through from the CR border will get a chance to look at the place anyway.
Good Luck Out There.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 28th, 2010
:shock:
Piecar wrote:I assume you're a local business man trying to boost tourism as David is an exceedingly ugly town with nothing to recommend it inside it's borders (other than the baseball). Anybody travelling through from the CR border will get a chance to look at the place anyway.

David is indeed grim, but is also the de facto capital of western Panama, a very worthwhile destination.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 29th, 2010
Not good enough, Hat. What do you recommend about David, since you endorse it? You even go so far as to call it a "destination". Whaddaya got?
Good Luck Out There.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 29th, 2010
Piecar wrote:Not good enough, Hat. What do you recommend about David, since you endorse it? You even go so far as to call it a "destination". Whaddaya got?

Whoa, I endorse David? Western Panama is a destination. David is for provisions.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 30th, 2010
Ah. I attributed both destination and worthwhile to David in that sentence. I see how it could go the other way.

Never mind...as Gilda Radner would say.
Good Luck Out There.

Return to Central America Travel