Tell us what you think of BootsnAll.com. The good, the bad and the ugly - whatever is on your mind. Let us know what new features and information you'd like to see. Suggest ways we can make the BootsnAll community even stronger. Be honest.

This message board is too fragmented.

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 9th, 2010
I agree with my peers... I also think the destination layout could do with some tweaks. London, Ireland, UK should be one, or they should at least be listed somewhere within eyesight of the 'Europe' forum, not between 'Caribbean' and 'Middle East'.

The Bali forum seems to have more life than the South Africa forum, which is interesting. It makes sense that S. Africa would be stand alone from the rest of Africa, but I don't think Mt. Kilimanjaro needs its own forum...

and as Felix so amusingly pointed out, there are far too many forums for Ways to Go, although I think RTW & Vagabonding has its place.

And along with everyone else, I don't see the point in the 'Hostels' section.

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2011
I am going to actually have to disagree with the above posters and agree with Chris (I think). This site doesn't have millions of users or hundreds of thousands, they may have several thousand, and only a few hundred or less that are always on the boards responding to inquiries, keeping up with the chit-chat and the like.

I have actually met many people who have googled a travel question and have come to the bootsnall forum and read about it. I think that if someone were to stumble across bootsnall by searching using an engine and expanded out to see what bootsnall has to offer their immediate reaction may be ("wow, this is great," and not "why are there so many subforums making it easy for me to find exactly what I need?").

If the changes are going to be aesthetic then why not, but I think the fact that it is easy (for the most part) to find what you are looking for because there are subforums which cover the specific topic you are looking to gain answers in, then why not keep it?

Also, for newbies, people who stumble across the site (or even active users), I think that your chances of having a question answered about a backpack, daypack, which headlamp to use or which pair of thin, light, pants that transform into shorts are significantly better if it is in a forum dedicated to travelgear. If you put 20 categories into one forum then you will have someone ask a question about a travel book, followed by a question about a backpack followed by a question about GLBT and it is will be one big forum of mishmosh. Call me crazy, but I like subforums and vote to keep them as is (except for hostel forum, that just never worked).

I understand that within the forum there still will be threads that delineate one question or topic from another, I just think that the current way of having subforums will attract and continue to attract new users because it is user friendly and easy to find where to post a question or read about a specific topic...And yes, I know someone can just use the search function, but honestly I have never been a fan of it and very rarely have used it since I joined many years ago.

If subforums need to be condensed my vote/suggestion would be to take the subforums with the least activity (like hostel forum) and categorize those accordingly.

I know I haven't been as active in years past, but I still love bootsnall and the gang!
Josh has taken his much needed vacation and will be going on another Christmas to New Years 2011/2012. However, before he does read about his past trips http://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2011
The Elderly Autistic Romanian Vegan Women Travelers

Is there really such a group or forum? It's been ages since I've been here, but I've never heard of this. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Previous

Return to Feedback, Ideas, Compliments and Complaints