Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in London with a 12-hour layover.

Three week Spain itinerary advice

treygabond

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 25th, 2011
I'm doing 3 weeks in Spain this July and I'm struggling a bit with my itinerary. I'm usually not an itinerary kind of traveler, but I've never been to Spain or Portugal. Is the following itinerary too ambitious? FYI, the only reason for the return trip to Barcelona halfway is due to a friend being there on a cruise ... thought it might be a nice halfway point to spend some time with a good friend ...

Day 1: Arrive in Barcelona ... rid myself of jetlag
Day 2: Fly to Madrid
Day 3: Madrid
Day 4: Madrid
Day 5: Morning bus to Burgos
Day 6: Bilbao
Day 7: Bilbao
Day 8: San Sebastian (Night bus to Pamplona)
Day 9: Pamplona (Night bus to Barcelona)
Day 10: Barcelona
Day 11: Barcelona
Day 12: Fly to Sevilla
Day 13: Sevilla
Day 14: Sevilla
Day 15: Bus to Lagos
Day 16: Train to Lisbon (Overnight in Sintra)
Day 17: Lisbon (Overnight in Sintra)
Day 18: Morning train to Porto
Day 19: Porto
Day 20: Porto (Night flight to Barcelona)

My other thought would be to ditch my friend, and do something more like ... Zaragoza, Longrono, Pamplona, Bilbao, Ovideo, A Coruna, Santiago de Compostela

Thoughts?

steinj

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
Hey,

my 2 points of advice:

a) Spend more time in Pamplona. I really enjoyed that city. Especially if you can be there on a weekend. There seems to be a street festival almost every weekend.

b) Try to visit Leon. It's tradition there to serve free tapas with every drink you order! 70 cent glasses of wine and free food!

Timmie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
I second taking time to explore Pamplona and can add that the town of Estrella was, to me at least, very beautiful and relaxing. Having said that, I never seem to tire of Barcelona. Just so many interesting things to see. I did spend over a week in Logrono during my last trip. Definitely worth a few days as well. By the way, I don't seem to relish any set schedule on my journeys, as I've come to enjoy letting things occur naturally.
"Whatever you can or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". Goethe

steinj

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2011
Estrella is indeed a beautiful town. Had some of the best tortilla on my trip there.

excuse the dust

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 28th, 2011
Oh, this is so helpful! I've got a week to spend in Spain in June and this will definitely help me narrow down my "must sees" to a city or two.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 28th, 2011
Leon has a quite magnificent cathedral.

Pamplona is a castellated , stone walled wonder

Burgos isn't bad either, except when you have to WALK into it from a major highway. It too has a magnificent Cathedral.

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
Since Portugal is on your list, I'll throw out a quick suggestion. If you can manage to work in a day (instead of just transiting) in Lagos, you won't regret it! It was my favorite town on the Algarve and is well worth a visit!

ACBungalow

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
Are you aware that running of the bulls happens in Pamplona early-mid July? Not sure if that was your intention, to be there for that, but if you do, don't plan on seeing much else. Accommodation is going to be expensive, and the city is CRAZY. Its amazing though, if it wasn't your plan, it should be now.
I also write about my travels and post photos in my Off The Beaten Path Travel Blog, come by and say hi!

treygabond

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2011
Thanks everyone for the great comments and suggestions ... my first itinerary was ridiculous. I've done a little more thinking about it and decided to change it to something a little more sane ... I think.

Let me know what y'all think of the changes.

Barcelona (4 nights) - includes a day trip to Figueres ... have to see the Dali museum.
Longrono (2 nights)
Bilbao (4 nights) - possible day trips to San Sebastian and Pamplona (San Fermin is going on while I'm there)
Leon (2 nighs)
Oviedo (2 nights)
A Coruna (3 nights) - day trip to Lugo
Santiago de Compostela (2 nights)
Fly back to Barcelona

Return to Europe Travel