Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Tikal - Rio Dulce - Copan - Bay Islands?

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 15th, 2010
I am going to be backpacking through Central America for a month in about ten days and for one leg of the trip we'll be going from Tikal to Rio Dulce/ Livingston. After that we want to spend about a week diving on Utila and and see Copan before travelling to Nicaragua.

What I'm trying to decide is whether to go to Honduras/Utila from Livingston,and then see Copan afterwards, or go back down the Rio Dulce , then to Copan, then to Utila via La Ceiba. Has anyone done either of these routes? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 15th, 2010
I've gone from Copan Ruinas to Utila via La Ceiba. Easy trip on Hedman Alas, changing buses in San Pedro Sula. The trip across northeastern Guatemala is a bit more hassle, but not too much trouble either.

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 23rd, 2010
My choice would be Rio Dulce to Copan, and then onto Utila. From there, straight shot to Tegucigalpa...And here is the new kicker I've discovered....No change over in SPS, in fact, not even a visit there on the way out. A bus line called Kamaldy goes straight out from Utila to Teguz through a routing through El Progreso....The Kamaldy station in Teguz is right across the street from another bus station to Nica...and down thee street from several others.

In my experience, Copan Ruinas, (the town) and Copan(the ruins) are really interesting and well worthwhile...they are a must....But Utila....well Utila is in a class of it's own. It is not unheard of for travellers to start burning off days earmarked for other things as they hang around on this island....I would hate for you to burn of the days set up for a visit to some really great ruins and a really great little town. Also, the bit through the south of Guat to get to the border crossing is really quite a thing to see. There are actually towns that I have seen where cowboys come into town looking exactly like they walked out of a western, complete with a six gun.

ON another note, take a seat across from the bank in CR and watch the outside bank guard as he accepts gun after gun from patrons entering the bank....ending up looking like the world's funniest bandito after a while.
Good Luck Out There.

Return to Central America Travel