Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Tipping In USA?

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 29th, 2011
I generally tip 20% for general meals.

If I am at a coffee shop and the coffee is $2, then I give the barrista $1 tip.
I also give $1 tip on every drink I purchase at a bar.
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

RyuKamagata

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2011
RTW2010... wrote:For meals at restaurants 15-20 % tip is pretty standard for good service. If service is sub-par max. 10% is just fine.

$1/drink is fine at bars (maybe a little more if you order an expensive cocktail)

For taxis (although I rarely take them)- 10% seems okay to me. For porters a couple of bucks should do the trick.

Indeed, taxis are generally tipped less because their rates (in the US at least) are extortion to begin with. Bartenders' tips depend on the level of service, as with anything. I go $1-2 per drink, but I am usually in a business suit and people expect me to spread the wealth when you look that way :lol:

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2011
RyuKamagata wrote:
RTW2010... wrote:For meals at restaurants 15-20 % tip is pretty standard for good service. If service is sub-par max. 10% is just fine.

$1/drink is fine at bars (maybe a little more if you order an expensive cocktail)

For taxis (although I rarely take them)- 10% seems okay to me. For porters a couple of bucks should do the trick.

Indeed, taxis are generally tipped less because their rates (in the US at least) are extortion to begin with. Bartenders' tips depend on the level of service, as with anything. I go $1-2 per drink, but I am usually in a business suit and people expect me to spread the wealth when you look that way :lol:

Try owning a taxi & you will see why the rates seem are so high, the extortion is from the government rules they must follow it be allowed to serve the public, not to mention the extortionate fuel prices! :twisted:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 18th, 2011
Are you people high? Tip a dollar on every drink? And it's on a sliding scale of the drink's cost for the guy who walked it over to you? Why? Did he carry the expensive drink with more flourish, or put on a fancier shirt, or something? Tip a cab driver just 'cause ya should? The guy whose job it is to drive around? The guy who talked on his headset the whole time?

I was going to stay out of this, because it's so contentious...But that's just stupid. You, who believe that this kind of tipping is correct, are, I'm sure, intelligent vibrant people....But that practice is fucking ridiculous, in my opinion. Jesus, what a racket.

However, he said, backpedalling, it's your money to do with what you will. If that's the practice accepted where you are, adelante.

Not me, kids. I like my money to be spent on things that I get to have, not little gifts to workers doing the job they are supposed to be doing.
Good Luck Out There.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 21st, 2011
Piecar wrote:Are you people high? Tip a dollar on every drink? And it's on a sliding scale of the drink's cost for the guy who walked it over to you? Why? Did he carry the expensive drink with more flourish, or put on a fancier shirt, or something? Tip a cab driver just 'cause ya should? The guy whose job it is to drive around? The guy who talked on his headset the whole time?

I was going to stay out of this, because it's so contentious...But that's just stupid. You, who believe that this kind of tipping is correct, are, I'm sure, intelligent vibrant people....But that practice is fucking ridiculous, in my opinion. Jesus, what a racket.

However, he said, backpedalling, it's your money to do with what you will. If that's the practice accepted where you are, adelante.

Not me, kids. I like my money to be spent on things that I get to have, not little gifts to workers doing the job they are supposed to be doing.

People who sneer at cultural practices because they cost money go straight to hell, and do not collect the $200 they saved by stiffing the waiter.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2011
And people who follow programmed practices with their eyes rolled back into their heads like automatons may continue to do whatever they've been told to do with my sincere sadness for their individuality. Keep your 200. I've still got money in my pocket by not throwing it around willy nilly. I think I'll just buy another drink.
Good Luck Out There.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2011
Speaking of programmed practices ...

Do you really stiff your waiters in countries with tipping customs, Piecar? That's sociopathic behavior. It's not being independent-minded; it's being a sociopathic jerk.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2011
Your characterization of "stiffing" is the nonsense American thinking on the subject. I imagine the Brotherhood of Lazy Servers of America has a whole treatise on it. I pay a tip based on the effort of the server. If there's no effort, there's no tip. I'm not sure which Denny's or Red Robin you worked in that made you such a champion for this, but that's what tipping is meant to reflect. The word 'tip' is an acronym for "To Insure Promptness". I go to a restaurant and paid a tonne for a meal, but the waiter is a slack jawed buffoon who spends more time chatting up the bartender than doing her job. My punishment to mete out for this affront is to give her slightly less free money? It's stupid. (let me now clarify by saying that You're not stupid, the act is. Damn, that's tiring.)

And, yes, I tip, and well, if the service merits it. I tip abroad, and well, if the service merits it. If it don't, donut city. The rest of the world is coming around to the idea of tipping, but not around to the commensurate idea of attentive service, it's the foolish North American tipping policy that is doing that. The same goofballs who are wearing Yankees caps on sideways, having never seen ballgame in their lives are the same lazy fucks expecting a tip for slamming your food down while texting, all because that's what they learned from American TV.

Moan and piss all you want, Hat. The practice, as many practice it, is inane, counterproductive, and programmed. Where's the 'rugged individualist' that you espouse in that? I expect a job to be done properly. If it isn't, I won't pay for it. To pay for something not done well because of artificially engineered social convention is retarded. It is NOT a custom like taking your hat off in someone's house out of respect, or greeting the eldest in a party first. It is a conventional practice. One that has gotten way out of hand in our neck of the woods. So much so that waiters admonish patrons for not tipping enough before they admonish the employers for not paying enough.....Did I mention that It's stupid?
I'm not mocking anyone's religion, race, creed or class by not giving a bad waiter free money. I'm mocking the shitty waiter's lack of skill and discipline. Everyone who tips because that's what others do should stop. Everyone who overtips because it makes them feel like a big wheel should stop. The practice was born as a way to reward a job well done. And it should continue to be that way.

As for the multiple posts....I can't find a way to delete 'em. Had a connection problem that day.
Last edited by Piecar on May 4th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck Out There.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 27th, 2011
Piecar wrote:Your characterization of "stiffing" is the nonsense American thinking on the subject. I imagine the Brotherhood of Lazy Servers of America has a whole treatise on it. I pay a tip based on the effort of the server. If there's no effort, there's no tip. I'm not sure which Denny's or Red Robin you worked in that made you such a champion for this, but that's what tipping is meant to reflect. The word 'tip' is an acronym for "To Insure Promptness". I go to a restaurant and paid a tonne for a meal, but the waiter is a slack jawed buffoon who spends more time chatting up the bartender than doing her job. My punishment to mete out for this affront is to give her slightly less free money? It's stupid. (let me now clarify by saying that You're not stupid, the act is. Damn, that's tiring.)

And, yes, I tip, and well, if the service merits it. I tip abroad, and well, if the service merits it. If it don't, donut city. The rest of the world is coming around to the idea of tipping, but not around to the commensurate idea of attentive service, it's the inane North American tipping policy that is doing that. The same goofballs who are wearing Yankees caps on sideways, having never seen ballgame in their lives are the same lazy fucks expecting a tip for slamming your food down while texting, all because that's what they learned from American TV.

Moan and piss all you want, Hat. The practice, as many practice it, is inane, counterproductive, and programmed. Where's the 'rugged individualist' that you espouse in that? I expect a job to be done properly. If it isn't, I won't pay for it. To pay for something not done well because of artificially engineered social convention is retarded. It is NOT a custom like taking your hat off in someone's house out of respect, or greeting the eldest in a party first. It is a conventional practice. One that has gotten way out of hand in our neck of the woods. So much so that waiters admonish patrons for not tipping enough before they admonish the employers for not paying enough.....Did I mention that It's stupid?
I'm not mocking anyone's religion, race, creed or class by not giving a bad waiter free money. I'm mocking the shitty waiter's lack of skill and discipline. Everyone who tips because that's what others do should stop. Everyone who overtips because it makes them feel like a big wheel should stop. The practice was born as a way to reward a job well done. And it should continue to be that way.

As for the multiple posts....I can't find a way to delete 'em. Had a connection problem that day.

Amen!! :tup:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Jacob G. Norlund

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Piecar wrote:Your characterization of "stiffing" is the nonsense American thinking on the subject. I imagine the Brotherhood of Lazy Servers of America has a whole treatise on it. I pay a tip based on the effort of the server. If there's no effort, there's no tip. I'm not sure which Denny's or Red Robin you worked in that made you such a champion for this, but that's what tipping is meant to reflect. The word 'tip' is an acronym for "To Insure Promptness". I go to a restaurant and paid a tonne for a meal, but the waiter is a slack jawed buffoon who spends more time chatting up the bartender than doing her job. My punishment to mete out for this affront is to give her slightly less free money? It's stupid. (let me now clarify by saying that You're not stupid, the act is. Damn, that's tiring.)

And, yes, I tip, and well, if the service merits it. I tip abroad, and well, if the service merits it. If it don't, donut city. The rest of the world is coming around to the idea of tipping, but not around to the commensurate idea of attentive service, it's the inane North American tipping policy that is doing that. The same goofballs who are wearing Yankees caps on sideways, having never seen ballgame in their lives are the same lazy fucks expecting a tip for slamming your food down while texting, all because that's what they learned from American TV.

Oh, please.

In my not-so-humble opinion, the practice of tipping is superior, because it promotes better service, while still giving most good waiters a decent income.

Foreigners seem to unnecessarily complicate the process. It's actually quite simple. Say you spent $25.02 on a meal. A fifth of that is about $5; that's what you tip if the service was good. If it was rough around the edges, than tip $4; if it was absolutely awful, than tip $1 or even a penny or nickel. I've rarely found myself tipping a dollar or nickel, though, because most servers are either naturally of a friendly disposition or learn to be the hard way.
HQ Coordinates: 46.76n, 92.32w

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

A 20% tip for good service is ridiculous, a $1 for awful is insane IMO :evil:

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Jacob, there's no argument there. You do it because that's what people do, not because you have some thinking on it, apparently. Tip what you will.

But you do make an interesting point on tipping. It is supposed to promote decent service....Now, look at your policy after that statement. You feel compelled to tip no matter what kind of service. The server knows this, and knows the conventional practice associated with their job means they'll get something. How does this promote better service?

Well, the answer is that it doesn't. You're not promoting anything there, Captain Superior. Unless you were hoping to promote a feeling of entitlement...which is what servers seem to be be feeling.

And I'd NEVER tip a penny. Somehow, it's more insulting than leaving nothing.

20% is what people are tipping now? More ludicrous every day. It's like buying a hundred dollars worth of hardware, and then, on your way out, handing twenty dollars to the stock boy who put the stuff in the racks.
Good Luck Out There.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2011
busman7 wrote:A 20% tip for good service is ridiculous, a $1 for awful is insane IMO :evil:

People who sneer at cultural differences probably shouldn't travel.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Felix the Hat wrote:
busman7 wrote:A 20% tip for good service is ridiculous, a $1 for awful is insane IMO :evil:

Whatever :shrug:

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:
Felix the Hat wrote:

Whatever :shrug:

I'm glad we agree.

Speaking Spanish in a place like El Salvador is ridiculous, since everyone knows English is the global language of commerce.

PreviousNext

Return to USA & Canada Travel