Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Tipping In USA?

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 29th, 2011
This is unlike you, Hat. A petulant argument organized more around scoring easy points than actually furthering things. This topic really bugs ya, huh?

And I would say that most people who travel, if they were honest, would say that they shake their head at many cultural differences. How do you know you're gonna hate it, unless you go and see it in action? I would venture to say that people who travel have more of a right to balk at alien cultural activities than those who do it from home. Why must we go out in the world and like everything that we're confronted with? That's unrealistic and sorta hippy dippy, really.

And, in a shocking moment, I find myself siding with busman here. Both he and I are Canadian, (I think) which puts us in the cultural milieu that we're sneering at. So do we get a pass? Are we good with the sneering, now? Can we sneer? How about a lingering grimace? Maybe just a little sardonic smile?
Last edited by Piecar on April 29th, 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Good Luck Out There.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2011
Yes a Canadian who has been screwed by the system there one time too many & will never live there again.

Ever since my stand on El Salvador, which Felix adamantly disagrees with, he has taken to mocking my views on most everything so I ignore his more offside comments.

The tipping culture I grew up in was at the most a 10% tip for really good service, which progressed to an automatic 10% then 15%. Don't know about the 20% figure as never have nor ever will tip that amount.

I definitely sneer at anyone who posts that they "tip $1 for awful service"!

BTW I tip 10% for good service, possibly 15% for above & beyond the ordinary & more often than not find myself giving nothing, when I return to southern Ontario, as 80% of the time the service/food sucks, due imho to indiscriminate tipping because it's the politically correct thing to do! :roll:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

bluebonnet21

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 23rd, 2011
I tip 20% for good service, 15% for mediocre and like 7-ish for really bad service. It has to be really bad though, like purposefully bad. If they are slammed or the kitchen messed up or they got quadruple-sat I cut them a break. For really bad service I'll also talk to a manager though.
I choose 7% for bad service because of every restaurant I've ever worked in has a tip-out of about 5-6% which is where servers pay a percentage of their total sales for the night to the expediter, the busboys, bartender etc. Usually I don't want to cost someone money, so I still tip a little bit.
I'm in Texas and our servers minimum wage is 2.15 an hour. The most I ever earned as a server was 3.45. And that's before social security and all. Most of my checks had less than 5 dollars on them for full-time work. The job is hard, and tips are the only money servers make, stiffing them is just cruel.

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
bluebonnet21 wrote:stiffing them is just cruel.

Whereas paying them a pittance in the first place is not cruel and is perfectly acceptable?
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Our first introduction to tipping in the US was in a SF restaurant when this waiter came up to our table just as we were sitting down and said " you guys have read the travel guides about tipping I hope" believe me they do take this topic very seriously. Always add at least 20% on when you are checking out the menu outside before going in. Apparently you are expected to tip even 10% if you receive bad service can you believe, I can't image what happens if you don't tip, perhaps some guy comes out of the back room with a clever.
Jean 8-)

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

People who refuse to accept harmless cultural differences have no business traveling. One of the most insufferable things about many backpackers is the tendency to confuse stinginess with virtue.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Hideo wrote:
bluebonnet21 wrote:stiffing them is just cruel.

Whereas paying them a pittance in the first place is not cruel and is perfectly acceptable?

If they paid a higher wage, you would still be paying the servers' income. We've already been over this. At this point, it's clearly a willful refusal to understand that wage plus tips still results in a living income for servers.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

However if the service stinks, the server isn't doing their job, doesn't deserve a living wage & should find different employment! :censored:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:However if the service stinks, the server isn't doing their job, doesn't deserve a living wage & should find different employment! :censored:

For busman's next statement of the obvious, he will state that water is wet.

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2011
Felix the Hat wrote:At this point, it's clearly a willful refusal to understand that wage plus tips still results in a living income for servers.

Not at all. I fully understand that this is the case. Likewise I fully understand that Americans are happy paying these workers such a low basic wage that they have to rely on tips.

And yes we have been over it already, and on several posts I've said that I do tip when in the US as that is the system there. Doesn't change my opinion that paying people a pittance and relying on tips is an utterly screwed up system and isn't in itself an incentive to give good service since it is expected.

We have also several times been over the point that you do have recourse for poor service in countries where tips are only for good service, namely not tipping, but you don't seem to get that point yourself.

But never mind - servers in UK, Europe, Australia etc all get a guaranteed tip from American tourists no matter how bad the service - when an American server's heart sinks if they hear a foreign voice, others leap for joy when they hear an American voice and sit back and think of their automatic tip heading their way shortly.
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Hideo wrote:Buncha resentnik words

Do you scowl at all cultural differences, or just this one? Maybe you're not cut out for travel.

I GET REALLY FUCKING MAD WHEN THOSE PEOPLE IN ASIA EXPECT I TAKE MY SHOES OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S UNSANITARY AND RACIST AGAINST MY CULTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT LIKE WE DO IT AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Methinks someone sounds like they just got kicked out of the kindergarten sandbox :!:

Oops there I go stating the obvious again. :shrug: My bad.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:Methinks someone sounds like they just got kicked out of the kindergarten sandbox :!:

Oops there I go stating the obvious again. :shrug: My bad.

If you took the time you spent searching for twee emoticons (how old are you, anyway?) on learning Spanish, you'd be able to speak more than three words by now.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

:tgif: :cup:

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Well, Hat. I think we get your position on the issue, by now. You think tipping, a practice that is voluntary should be followed scrupulously in the States, whatever the service level. And people who don't follow the rules you subscribe to are to be disallowed from travelling. I get it. And I think your opinion in this matter is wrongheaded and programmed, and that the whole idea is a covenant with the server that they do a good job, and American servers have forgotten their part of the agreement. Why do you feel the need to continually reiterate your stance? Do you think you're going to win converts with the snarky comments you put down here? It just goes around in a circle. I was content to let someone who tips 20% say that and let it lie, why do you gotta fight with a guy who has a different view?

I've noticed that you tend to cast yourself as the mature one on these boards, but it's hard to maintain when your comebacks are of the schoolyard variety. Name calling? Sneering(thought I'd trot out your fave word) at emoticons? ALL CAPS WITH SWEARING!!!!!!!!? It's pretty childish, buddy. Take a chill pill.

I agree, by the by, that busman7, for a gruff curmudgeon, sure does love those smilies, though.

And, Jeanie, don't be afraid of servers. If they do a crappy job leave what you think is fair, and fair, as far as I'm concerned COULD be nuthin'. That waiter who braced you about tipping before you ever sat down? If that happened to me, he'd be guaranteed to get nothing. I'm leaving my shoes on in the next Asian house I go to now too. 'Cause apparently that's okay, I read somewhere.
Last edited by Piecar on May 28th, 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Good Luck Out There.

PreviousNext

Return to USA & Canada Travel