If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

To Drop everything at 30

SAPMonkey

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: jobs, travel, overseas
  • Added on: April 6th, 2009
Yes, its too late. Sorry.

Nuts! I am about to do somethign similar at 33, although it scares me like hell.
I have a secure job for a top software company and am in my first year of Law School, but still...

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2009
YES do it!
I packed my job in aged 30, left my flat and set off for 6 months to SE Asia and India.
When I ran out of money after 6 months I went home, worked and saved hard for 6 months and did it all again the following year aged 31!! LOL I had such a good time that i did it all over.

Mind you I went on my RTW for 2.5years when I was 26 - just didnt get it all out of my system at that time evidently and had to go again. And again!!! LOL
You wont regret it - I never felt so alive and sooo free as when I was bumming round the world.
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

junglebook

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2009
You have nothing to fear. Whe you look back at your life I guarantee your experiences on the road will be some of your most cherished memories. It is also important to remember that the world is changing fast and soon travel will become more expensive (Peak Oil). The world will also become less stable in years to come so get packing as soon as possible. You should also travel when you are fit enough to do so.

The only downside is when you return home and have to integrate yourself back into society (i.e. find a job, somewhere to live etc). This can be tricky on many levels. You have grown enormosuly through your travels (personal development) and experienced many things, yet your family and friends are exactly the same.

You might also get bitten by the bug and never want to settle down again!

I am about to embark on another great adventure and my destination this time is Africa. I found a few projects on http://www.volunteer4africa.org and will spend a few months volunteering. This is something I discovered in Central America and it makes any trip a much more rewarding experience.

Go for it...

:x

frankie75

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 21st, 2009
GO AND DONT STOP.
I have just finish convincing my best friend to take off and do what she has been talking about for years. Extended working holiday abroad ,and hold on to your pants she 33.

You are never too old. Is there a burning desire to do this are you going to look back and think is this something I regret not doing in my life.
It could be something that alters your future putting you on a different path. Take the dive and see if you can swim .

Zzark

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 13th, 2009
I joined the US Peace Corps at age 39 (in 1989) and have lived abroad continuously since then. I will probably never go back as it is such a wonderfully exciting and interesting world out here.

Only 30? Better get going!
http://www.ESLJobsNow.com For the Best Jobs Teaching English Overseas

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 13th, 2009
Go. I did the same thing at 35 and never looked back. I had a nice backpack, stuffed it with things I thought I'd need, and bought the rest along the way. I kept on going, even after it was stolen and I had to tie a sack to a smaller one. Still, never underestimate the idea that you need adequate funding to start, and to tide you over the rough spots. For a while I was stuck in Mexico city needing medical care, without much money. I got a job. I paid for it all with my job, and my hotel too.

If you have no time line for returning, the voyage becomes a true journey of life, not a vacation, and more valuable for it.

Please note: Go with an emergency medical fund or good insurance. Being sick is not at all inspiring when you have no money for treatment by doctors, that often demand cash or insurance before they start.

Jaina

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2009
I'm 29 and planning to leave just after I turn 30 next year to travel for a while -- in fact, just starting to seriously research it, after years of casual researching and putting it off. The other posts make it pretty clear that there's no reason for us not to get up and go, but it still can feel overwhelming all the same :-)
Career counselor turned career breaker: There's No Place Like Oz

Zzark

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2009
Jaina wrote:The other posts make it pretty clear that there's no reason for us not to get up and go, but it still can feel overwhelming all the same :-)

The difficult part is the mental aspect -- the actual doing it is VERY easy.
http://www.ESLJobsNow.com For the Best Jobs Teaching English Overseas

saoghalbeag

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2009
I'm 28 (and a half!) and I am in the process of selling my house so I can head off RTW. Besides the house I don't really have anything holding me here - since returning from a couple years in the UK a while back I've been determined to head "back out' I haven't allowed myself to get 'tied' down by anything (so I have a crappy car and when my toaster broke I just had to use the griller!!).

When I came back from the UK I thought I'd be heading out again straight away but things kept cropping up...I tried 'fitting in' with the goals of my family/people around me and to live up to their expectations and 'give up on this silly travelling idea' but OMG is it never going to happen! I am just getting angrier and bitterer...hating those around me for trying to keep me here and hating myself for letting them (and my hesitation) stop me.

Just go for it.

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2009
Rather than being too late, I would suggest it's a great age to travel. You'll most likely have a little more spare cash than you would have had when you were 20 or 21, and you'll most likely gain more from it than you would as a young 'un I think.
The problem is that more than likely many people at your work or friends with less broad horizons than you will simply not understand how you can give up a job to go and travel. I went away for an 18 month RTW when I was 28 - 30 by the time I got back - and prior to leaving several people were extremely supportive and excited by my plans (my closest friends), but many (more often work colleagues rather than friends) were more mystified. How can you leave a job to do this? What will you do when you get back? Don't you think it's a bit irresponsible? blah blah blah... I'd be lying if I said that some of these concerns didn't enter my mind, and all the more so whenever people said them to me. But my real friends and my family were wholeheartedly supportive. Why should you confrom to society's "norm", or at least what many people think is the norm? Life is to be lived - too many people think that life is simply a step through the same stages as everyone else. School, Uni, Job, Mortgage, etc... Many people simply can't comprehend anyone not following this model. And they can understand it even less when you're 30 and already have a career and maybe a mortgage.

Don't let those kind of people put you off following your dreams. Ok so maybe you won't have such a great job when you come back as you do now. So what? You'll be happier since you'll be living your life and stepped out fo the ordinary to do something you wanted to do.
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2009
Why "only" at 30??? :) I'm in my mid-40s and just dropped everything in the US for a job in the UK. I did keep my house in the US and am renting it, as it's just not a good market for selling right now. Was a GREAT opportunity to go through my stuff & de-accumulate.

Metalchick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 9th, 2009
Does anyone else wonder if he actually realized his dream and is traveling the world? I'm about to turn 30 and actively traveling the world just in a different way. I got some great advice yesterday. One of the guys I work with told me that this is not your 'practice' life. It's your life. Live it for each day and make it count.
"Do not go where there is a path but instead go where there's no path and leave a trail" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson. Check out the blog: http://metalchick.net/travel

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 9th, 2009
I am 26 now when I discovered these boards and it's giving me more and more inspiration and courage to start planning for a yearly or more RTW trip. I'm hoping to "set sail" before I'm 30. I'm really happy to find so many like-minded ppl here.

sburnham

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2009
I am 30 years old and I will be traveling out of the country for the first time next year. Go to spend a couple week in SE Asia and I plan to every year to travel internationally for at least a couple weeks. I also want to sometime in my life take a year of work off and volunteer in another county helping children. I have always dreamed of traveling the world, it time for me to stop talking and start doing. Even if its for only a few weeks at a time. There should never be age to stop traveling and exploring the world and other cultures. Just go for it.

LittleKati

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2009
K2 wrote:I am 26 now when I discovered these boards and it's giving me more and more inspiration and courage to start planning for a yearly or more RTW trip. I'm hoping to "set sail" before I'm 30. I'm really happy to find so many like-minded ppl here.

Me too, me too :) It's more difficult to save up money for travel, but I won't give up! I'll try to make it before 30. And I wish you take off soon too!
Let's have a chat in Thailand Forum ^v^ lanla lanla~

PreviousNext

Return to Living Abroad