If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

To Drop everything at 30

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Tags: jobs, travel, overseas
  • Added on: June 11th, 2009
LittleKati wrote:
K2 wrote:I am 26 now when I discovered these boards and it's giving me more and more inspiration and courage to start planning for a yearly or more RTW trip. I'm hoping to "set sail" before I'm 30. I'm really happy to find so many like-minded ppl here.

Me too, me too :) It's more difficult to save up money for travel, but I won't give up! I'll try to make it before 30. And I wish you take off soon too!

It feels so far away though, having to wait a few years to save enough for it.

Hey Kati, I'm from Malaysia originally. I can't believe I haven't been to Thailand!

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 11th, 2009
We're a year into a three-year wait for a RTW trip with (my wife and I). Seems far away, but time has been passing exceptionally fast.

To deal with the wait, we've really spent a lot of time daytripping close to home — essentially taking in home (where we grew up) with eyes wide open. Treating our little corner of the world as if it were part of our itinerary.

Good way to go about it, methinks. Time flies. Carpe diem, etc.

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 12th, 2009
Couldn't agree more - one thing that I learnt very quickly on my RTW trip was that I knew other people's countries better than they did, and they knew my country better than I did. For instance, I'd been all around Australia to some very small and obscure places, whereas I tended not to do such things back home in England - partly because travelling abroad to a different culture is so easy from here, but partly through laziness. This has since been partially rectified, although going abroad is still more interesting! But like you said "eyes wide open"...that's the change that happened after my RTW.
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

ord2rtw2013

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 15th, 2011
I'm in a similar situation. I'm a 31 year old female who has a great job, but something's missing. The people I've met here aren't really the adventurous risk taking type. They're...uh...boring. Once you get into our age group, you get all sorts of advice to settle down and start contributing to your 401K, get a house and get a husband (in your case wife).

Jose Ortega, 20th century philosopher, talked of living without a constitutive identity. He believed that a person is truly free when they choose not to identify themselves with any specific identity. In short, the life you have now is not all your capable of and it's not a crazy idea to travel the world at your age! You'll learn so much about yourself and the world.

Go for it!

Becca

worldtraveller321 wrote:Hello All. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for someone to drop everything at my age to go travel around the world or go work abroad.I am about 30 male, single with a steady full time job.I was wondering If im too late in my life to just drop it and go and try to be happy. Or AM i still young enough to do such a thing? not crazy?Anyone out there over age 35. Who just dropped everything and went?Not much to fall back on. But love to travel and want to experience life living in other countries?i was wondering if some jobs overseas like teaching english or WWOOFING or volunteer work like building a school in Africa would open up job skills to be marketable back home?

Previous

Return to Living Abroad