If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

To Drop everything at 30

worldtraveller321

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: jobs, travel, overseas
  • Added on: January 14th, 2009
Hello All. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for someone to drop everything at my age to go travel around the world or go work abroad.

I am about 30 male, single with a steady full time job.

I was wondering If im too late in my life to just drop it and go and try to be happy. Or AM i still young enough to do such a thing? not crazy?

Anyone out there over age 35. Who just dropped everything and went?

Not much to fall back on. But love to travel and want to experience life living in other countries?

i was wondering if some jobs overseas like teaching english or WWOOFING or volunteer work like building a school in Africa would open up job skills to be marketable back home?

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 15th, 2009
It's never too late to travel. 30 is young in some of our minds. Scary, but true!

When I was 30, my boyfriend (now husband) and I put everything in storage, left our jobs (I took a leave), and headed off to Africa for near to six months. Best decision I ever made (except for choosing him as my life partner).

I say go for it.

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2009
Nope. Too old. Best to just cash it in, shut the door, and stay at home at this point. Have you picked out a cemetery plot yet? I'd get going on that one, oldie.

Okay, I'm (clearly?) joking. Sure, maybe those of us over 30 can say "Boy, I sure wish I'd started earlier!" but the truth of the matter is that unless you've invented a time machine, you're stuck on this trajectory into the future with the rest of us. A "glass is half full" sort of way to look at it is to realize that regardless of the woulda's, coulda's, and shoulda's of the past, there will never be a better time than right NOW to get started!

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 21st, 2009
Hiya

Left the UK when I was 32, after selling my house and possesions and leaving a high flying job in IT. And headed to Bangkok with a one way ticket. Now I am 40 (gulp) and live in the South Island of NZ and work in the wine industry. Along the way, I have travelled RTW twice, lived in three different countries, learned to speak a new language and married a wonderful woman from Finland on a beach in Fiji. I never made it back to the UK.

If you have reasonable job skills, are prepared to be flexible, then picking up work ( and work permits) is entirely possible.

Good luck!

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

chelley

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2009
God I would love to do this...but I think I'm to chicken. Are you really gonna do it?
~M

Skylab

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2009
chelley wrote:God I would love to do this...but I think I'm to chicken. Are you really gonna do it?

What's stopping you? Just go and do it.
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol

travis

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2009
I'm almost 30 and have never had anything to drop (personal choice, left university after 2 years and started on this life of travel and adventure)

So yeah, go for it, drop it all and give yourself a chance at happiness!!

rafo

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2009
Im almost 30 and never had anything to drop. haha, Do it. I may not be the richist person in the world but boy do I have some tales and experiences. I wouldnt give up any of them for anything, least of all a dull office job in blighty. But I guess its hard to drop everything once you've got it. I've never had it!!!

lizziedigs

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 14th, 2009
I just turned 30 today (hooray!) and I leave for a 4 month trip to SE Asia India, Egypt and Jordan in 2 weeks. I don't have a ticket home cause I'm hoping to get some work on the way and extend my trip. I got my Irish passport so I can work anywhere in the EU with no visa (thanks mom) and I hoping to get a job somewhere as I "fly home" via Europe.

My point? 30 is a beginning for me, not nearly close to a "too late."

jnj1688

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 16th, 2009
Hi there-

I will be 28 in April and I am leaving 4/25 for a seven month journey throughout Central & South America. I have worked in the corporate world for the past 6 years, free car, nice salary and bonuses but I could no longer move forward without fulfilling this dream. It really began to eat away at me. I have planned my journey for a year now and I give my notice at the end of the month!! Scary but so necessary!

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 17th, 2009
My wife and I will be 36 and 30, respectively, in 2011 when we plan to leave on our 1-year RTW. We decided upon a trip last year, and set it three years out so that we could get our finances in order, ie investments for retirement, house etc. We are exceeding our savings budget and are pretty happy thus far with our progress. A year has passed quickly and I expect that we'll be getting ready for the trip in no time.

I'll be 37 upon return! Never too old for a life-changing experience.

Stoven

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 17th, 2009
I'll be turning 30 in a few months and I will be doing just that. I have been planning to relocate to Singapore with my wife for the past year and am about ready to make the move. I am in the process of renting out my house and selling my car right now. My wife is already there staying with her family since December so she is just waiting on me. Hopefully I'll be able to find work there since I received Singapore permanent residence. My plan is to see how things go there and explore SE Asia.

I feel I've been wasting my life away the past 10 years with school and work and forgot how to enjoy life. I wish I could go back and relive my 20's after what I know now but all I can do is to change my future. It's never too late to search for happiness and meaning in life.

Steve

Not the First Continental Op

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2009
Sigh. Now's when I miss having the old man (Static) around to remind everyone just how young 30 is.

But you came to the right place for social validation: You aren't too old for anything. If you're inclined to drop everything and go, drop everything and go.

:tup:

Taking the road less traveled by isn't altogether more difficult than building a home, making a family, struggling through a 9 to 5, and doing what the majority of your peers do. The most difficult part is, in fact, just getting your ass out the door. And, similarly, it is no more or less "respectable."

/From a fella over 30 who has walked, driven, drank, made love, and urinated on every continent. (Except Antarctica. Emperor Penguins are not so easily talked into bed, despite what the pages of Lonely Planet might lead one to believe.)
"The gentle reader will never, never know what a consummate ass he can become until he goes abroad." - Mark Twain, Innocents Abroad

skobb

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2009
Not the First Continental Op wrote:/From a fella over 30 who has walked, driven, drank, made love, and urinated on every continent. (Except Antarctica. Emperor Penguins are not so easily talked into bed, despite what the pages of Lonely Planet might lead one to believe.)

That's not true. It just takes more alcohol and some patience.

Bua

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 26th, 2009
What?? Too late?? Hell no. It's never too late to follow your dreams (not just travel-related, but any dream you have). "30 is the new 20" isn't just a saying you know, it's the truth!
Check out my blog and my Flickr page

Next

Return to Living Abroad