Discuss ways to satisfy your urge to travel without ruining the places we all want to see. Take only photographs, leave only footprints...

Toilet poll

linds

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 4th, 2007
Just wondering… I’ve moved to Oz recently and find the Aussies are pretty clued into this old conservation thing, mostly because they have to – water shortages are common. But what I’ve noticed is every single toilet has a half flush and full flush system and it got me to thinking – the UK is sooooooooo far behind the rest of the world in the simple things they can do to conserve water/recycle. The half flush isn’t even available to buy in most of the leading UK stores.

SO… I want to do a mini study – with your help. Wherever you are in the world, the next time you use the loo take note if it’s got a half flush option and let me know would ya? Let’s name and shame.

linds
www.ecotravellogue.com

linds

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Actually, while we're on toilet talk - let's make it a bit interesting, what’s been your worst toilet experience while travelling?

I thought travelling through Asia for months would mean I’d be sure to come across some hell hole loos but they weren’t too bad; I can still balance over a squat on tippy toes with the best of them.

The worst loo I’ve encountered so far is actually in Australia. We’d been driving for about four hours and nature wasn’t just calling she was hollering from the mountain tops so when we came across a wicker hut in a forest clearing I very nearly wet my pants – literally. The excitement soon passed. Inside was a wall of flies and behind the wall was the widest, fullest, most rancid long drop that has possibly ever existed. I swear I thought I saw the mass move as one. And, hanging from the ceiling and crawling across the walls were fat juicy spiders the size of Texas just waiting for a tasty morsel of shiny white butt. Clenching my cheeks, I backed out slowly (and very carefully), walked to the trunk of the car, hunkered down and did my business right there and then. And when a few cars drove by I didn’t care one iota. It probably put them off their dinner for a few days but you know what it’s like, when you need to go, you need to go.

C’mon share your horror stories.

linds
www.ecotravellogue.com

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Ah, I miss those half flush loos in Oz. It just makes more sense. The US is pretty slow on that, too. If they weren't so damn expensive, I'd replace all my toilets with them. But they are expensive -- starting at $250 a pop. We've got 3 toilets that we just replaced and the 3 cost less than one half flusher. Crazy

linds

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 6th, 2007
Jeez, I didn't realise they were quite so expensive. I guess if they're put in when houses are first built it would be easier, eh?

Cheers
Linda

www.ecotravellogue.com

Azdo

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2008
Most toilets I've encountered here in New Zealand have the half flush option, but the one in our house doesn't. Shrug

dman

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2008
You want to know how slow it is here in the toilet department (among a list that is 10 miles long) --- I have never seen a half flush before!

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 8th, 2008
They are no cheaper than if they're put into a house when it's first built (you'll pay it in the cost of the house someway or another). We've replaced our toilets ourselves, so there's no labor cost. The starting at $250 was what I found for the half flush toilets themselves (installation not included). But I'm sure if you're a contractor/home builder, then you could probably get a break on them. But still..expensive!

Gaillimhabu21

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2008
Just though I'd add my random info! (aiming for guidebook dependent Wink ) All our toilets are half flush at home(Galway, Ireland)....there's a sentence I never thought I'd type! Our cinemas in the city have half flushers too. It's slowly becoming the norm here thankfully though why we ever moved from harnessing all our freakin rain & using that to flush is beyond me!

benrules

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2008
I stayed in a hostel in Paris with the half flush. It was the first i've seen in scores of hostels in dozens of countries.

China-Matt

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2008
Never saw the half flush in the US. See them all the time in China... problem is that they usually don't work. Most of the time the water continuously runs and no one cares about fixing it.
I am the Waiguoren Critic of South China
Terracotta Typewriter: a literary journal with Chinese characteristics

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2008
They have them in spain. They're great for number 1, where you rally DONT need 2 gallons to wash everything away.

My problem with buying one in the USA is that if the parts go bad, well, you have to go to an expensive and difficult to find plumbing supply store, and where I live, they'd be lucky to have the parts at all.

linds

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2008
LOL Gaillimhabu21.
I'm originally from Ireland (not to far away from yourself) and have always thought that if they had some way of collecting all the rain water there they could surely put an end to half the world's droughts!
Good to know they're doing their part for conservation to though, eh?

Ecotourism Logue (previously EcoTravelLogue)

partymarty4870

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 4th, 2010
if you really want to save water put a housebrick in the cistern as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Return to Eco Travel