With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss the dark continent.

Tour Group to Tanzania, Zanzibar

phoenic

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: tanzania, zanzibar, volunteering
  • Added on: November 22nd, 2010
I am planning a trip to Tanzania and Zanzibar in the fall of 2011. I am a woman who will be making the trip alone. I would like to travel with a group. Does anyone have any suggestions for tour groups. I am interested in a safari, time to explore local markets, time to relax in Zanzibar, possibly a gorilla trek if I can fit it in. I am planning on 2 - 3 weeks. I want a group that will allow some time to do my own thing. I am also considering making it a volunteer trip if anyone has any experience with one I'd love to hear about that also.

whitety

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 30th, 2010
Hi - I did a trip with Absolute Africa which would probably tick many of those boxes. They do long (I think 10 week) trips down from Uganda to South Africa. We only joined the last few weeks from Victoria Falls to Cape Town so can't really comment on the quality of Safaris in Tanzania. I do know that they went Gorilla trekking and through the Serengeti though and that the price is a fraction of the typical tourist price in those area. Am sure you could join them for a few weeks.

With tours like that however - you may get stuck with a group of people you don't like. I had a great time but there was definitely animosity within our group as some were young, wanted to get drunk and not do anything (ie. cooking and cleaning) while others wanted to moan about the younger lot. Would of course be different every trip - just want you to know that while the price may be right, you might be with people you don't like for the whole trip.

They do have a few days off here and there but generally you are stuck with the group the whole time which isn't necessarily ideal for you.

I travelled alone for a bit though Uganda / Kenya / Tanzania and with just my girlfriend for a month through Tanzania and into Uganda so should you choose not to join a group I can give you some other tips.

As for volunteering. If you want to work with kids in Kampala then I'd be happy to put you in touch with a Childrens Home that I spent 3 weeks volunteering at and would love to have you visit. They really struggle to sell themselves and get volunteers in so I'm trying to help them when I can.

Feel free to get in touch if you want more info.

Ty

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 1st, 2010
There are a lot of companies that do this sort of thing- there's a long thread here about African overland expeditions that you should look into. The one I had experience with was Africa Travel Company which I'd recommend, you could fly into Dar es Salaam or Stone Town and then join the group as they're traveling north (I think this also has the advantage that most overland groups head to Zanzibar for only a weekend, and it sounds like a place where more time can easily be spent!).

Return to Africa Travel