If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Trades work in Australia?

PDU

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 7th, 2011
its been years since my last post...

I am considering Australia for my next trip, but would like to live abroad for a year or more. I am wondering what the situation would be with work.

I am going to a first or second year carpenters apprentice by the time i end up being about to travel - any info about construction trades in Australia, and/or the specifics of gaining red seal while working aboard would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2011
This is a very uninformed opinion, but after all of the flooding in SE Queensland and the cyclone damage in northern Queensland this year, I would think they'll have need for skilled tradies for quite some time to come. I have no idea how that would effect your ability to gain a work visa, but logically it would make sense.

Note that if you're an American under 30, you are able to get a working holiday visa for 6 months. That would at least get you into the country with the ability to look for work and take it from there.
Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

PDU

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 13th, 2011
Thanks for the reply Hydro.

As far as i can tell from reading online, and from speaking with friends - there is a large demand for skilled trades in Aus and there are many ongoing building booms.

I am wondering more about;

-The subjective differences in skill and building techniques used in Canada and Australia. Ie; would my skillset be acceptable/transferable to Aus?
-Are there ITA (industry training authority) certified employers in Aus. who would be able to take me on as an apprentice and sign off on my required hours towards obtaining Red Seal trade certification? (i am concerned that working in Australia would not count as experience towards the journeyman designation i am seeking.)
-I am also wondering about apprenticeship in general and wages, labour standards, etc.

I realize these are specialized type questions and i likely won't receive a response.

However, in the event that someone has experience with Skilled trades in Aus, please chime in.

Thanks so much,

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 14th, 2011
I work in the trades as well-I'm a painter-and I was looking around online a few months ago pretty much for what you're asking. What I found (before all the natural devastation) is that there's a lot of work in Western Australia.

Start googling. Or get a hold of the people in the office at your district council or local and see if they know anything, and if they can't do that, they could probably point you in the right direction. :)

Good luck!
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

Return to Living Abroad