Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

travel in Hungary

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 16th, 2013
Anyone have any information on bus travel from Szeged to Pecs in Hungary.

I understand if you take the train you have to travel via Budapest which we want to avoid.

I've not been able to find any Hungarian websites that have the information in English.

Thanks

Jean

nobin

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Jeanie99 wrote: I understand if you take the train you have to travel via Budapest which we want to avoid.
Not necessarily, it is also possible to travel via Kiskunhalas-Baja-Dombovar, although it's not very convenient either, mainly because of multiple train changes required

On the other hand direct buses from Szeged to Pecs are relatively frequent and take from 3:25 to 4:15 hours (depending on connection), departures from Szeged: 5:20am, 6:30am, 9:20am, 10:30am, 14:30, 16:30, 17:20, 19:20 (all everyday), also on certain days there are additional departures at 11:20, 12:30 and 13:20

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Thanks for the prompt reply,
Is there a website in English which I can get this timetable from which gives me the location of the stations and perhaps other suggestions and advice for traveling in Hungary.

Jean

nobin

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Jeanie99 wrote: Is there a website in English which I can get this timetable from which gives me the location of the stations and perhaps other suggestions and advice for traveling in Hungary.
It is not fully in English, but at least you can get an idea - http://ujmenetrend.cdata.hu/uj_menetrend/en/index.php

For trains in Hungary best to check via official Hungary rail website - http://elvira.mav-start.hu, also for train travel in Hungary really helpful might be this website - http://europetrainsguide.com/Countries/ ... y-MAV.html

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2013
Hungarian-speaking chick here, and yeah the info's pretty scant in English on such a route.

Frankly I would just go through Budapest and if you look at a national highway map of the country you'd understand why- all the roads go through there so while it doesn't seem convenient it usually is much quicker than all other options. Same with the rail network too.

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2013
Second with Andromeda. Often it's easier and quicker to just go through Budapest.

When I lived in Hungary, the no-English-info on websites could be a big problem. The auto translate feature that Google Chrome has though did help me out, although it sometimes gave super-funky translations it generally gave me the general idea of what was going on. Do you use Chrome? a toolbar should pop up that asks you if you want to translate the page into English. :)
Visit me at my internet space. http://narcissisticvagabond.com

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2013
Thanks everyone for your comments, I've decided to get a phrase book, it might help.

And hey it can't be any more of a challenge than Southern China can it.

Jean

Return to Europe Travel