Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Travel pants

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: travel clothes
  • Added on: May 19th, 2011
Help! I'm looking for a pair of women's travel pants. My main priority is that they don't take up too much space in my pack and don't need ironing (I don't mind a little crumpling if the creases are likely to come out quickly or will come out with a spray of water). However not super-thin material - I will be taking them to Europe in Spring :)

I don't mind if they are convertible, provided they look relatively nice (eg. to me, these convertible pants don't look so bad: http://www.rei.com/product/811309/marmo ... nts-womens) but I'm not specifically after that. Quick-dry would be good but I'm not obsessed with that - I am actually planning to take at least one pair of jeans too and pretty much anything dries faster than jeans.

I don't want high-waisted pants. A bulk of the travel pants on the market seem to be high-waisted, I'm not sure why! I also don't want them to be made of anything (eg. nylon) that is super noisy when you walk.

They need to be available in black or grey. And not too expensive (or something that is likely to come on sale and I could get them cheaper). I still have a year to look around so don't need anything NOW, but I like to start looking in advance so that if something good does come up I can grab it.

I have scoured the websites and the options are overwhelming. Plus where I live (regional Australia) I don't have the option of going and actually looking at most of the options you see online so it can be difficult to tell what the material is like.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Lucky Luke

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 20th, 2011
Have you tried Kathmandu?
They've got some nice looking pants on the website and if you're a member of the summit club the discount is pretty good (or oyu could just wait for one of their amazing slaes they seem to have eveery month or so)

these or theseor these or these all look quite nice.

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Yeah but Kathmandu charges the earth for their stuff :P ...even with the summit discount. They're having a good sale for their summit members this week, ends Sunday, and that extra discount makes some of those pants considerable, maybe the ones around the $60 mark. I do worry though, if the predominantly cotton ones would crush?

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I know it sounds weird, but I've started traveling with nurses scrubs for pants. They're comfey, they repel stains, don't wrinkle, have useful pockets, are lightweight, dry quickly, take a lot of abuse, and look much better than most people think. They're not just the crappy blue scrubs that people think of any more. Now you can get ones that look just like normal pants but are a fraction of the price. Something to think about...
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Lucky Luke

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

LilaBear wrote:Yeah but Kathmandu charges the earth for their stuff :P ...even with the summit discount.

How much do you actually want to spend? None of the ones I saw at Kathmandu were more than about AUD$60 with Summit discount / $100 without.

I do worry though, if the predominantly cotton ones would crush

Dunno, my long travel pants are linen!! Personally, when I pack I just roll everything up rather than folding it and that seems to keep things relatively uncreased.
For trousers just roll the waist first as this is the bit that will get most crinkled and the top of pants doesn't really matter, then by the time you get to the legs, the roll should be big/smooth enough that they don't get creased.

But then, I really hate ironing and will go to silly lengths to avoid it so my idea of acceptably un-creased may not be everyones! :D

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Well, one of those pants were over $100 with the discount (like $170 fullprice) and another pair was $150 fullprice - I'd never pay that much for a pair of pants anyway, except for like ski pants or something. Like I said though, the ones down around $60 (with the sale - double the normal summit discount) were worth considering. You'd never get them that cheap at Kathmandu normally. I just wish our city had more places that sold such things so I could go and actually look at them and try them on, etc! We do have a Kathmandu but it doesn't have everything on the website :-\

DavidAM

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2011
I know I'm a guy so I probably can't add much in the way of advice on pants but I actually got these Cloudveil Convertible Pants this past Christmas http://www.backcountry.com/images/items ... 265/CO.jpg.

I asked for them after reading about them on a minimalist travel blog. I knew I would need pants that were lightweight, quick-drying, somewhat attractive, and the convertible feature was a definite plus. But I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. Yes they look nice and I did the convertible feature but the material is like uber-thin nylon that feels like you're wearing a rain jacket on your pants. I do like that as shorts you can use them as swim trunks. That's a good plus. And for hiking they're superb, which is what they're made for really. But I can't imagine myself walking around foreign locals in these pants. But I think since I have them already and I'm heading to Hawaii, they may end up coming in handy so I might stick with them.

Good luck in your pant search though. I know technical and lightweight pants tend to be pretty pricy and it's hard to find good looking ones.
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."

Sea of Derailments - http://davidamis.wordpress.com
DavidAM Bandcamp - http://davidam.bandcamp.com

LisaLu

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 23rd, 2011
Have any of you travelled with yoga pants or harem pants? I never have, but they look super comfy... Any thoughts? Do they hold up well?

Thanks,
Lisa
Our Blog: http://wallagrams.wordpress.com/
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"
-anonymous-

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets