Travel writing seems like a dream job: a life on the road, going exotic places, writing whenever you wanted and getting paid for it too! Get tips on how to break into the business, learn more about what it's really like working as a travel writer and get feedback on your own stories.

Travel Writing Leads

Leif, God of Thunder

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 2nd, 2007
Online Travel Guide Writer

Better jump on this one quick, this is the type of thing to get a thousand respondents in 48 hours.

Leif Viking
-----------------------

Killing Batteries My battery-powered rise to the zenith of travel writing rapture
My full travelogue.
My personally researched guide to Romania and Moldova.

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 30th, 2007
Spring Break Blogger Wanted - as Sean says:

quote:
When I was in college, I would have drooled over this position. Spring Break, blogging, Vlogging and hanging out in sun soaked Mexico for 3 weeks, all expenses paid? Unreal. Of course, you will earn it if you are accepted so...If you are a blogger, journalism student, or think you have what it takes to be the best Spring Break Blogger check out this job offer and apply today.
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 15th, 2007
An online magazine is looking for 2000-word pieces on a few places around the globe:

quote:
We are looking for feature stories for our website's World Gallery, which combines images, music and informative copy to educate students about major cultural and historical global sites. We currently need articles and images for the following locations:

Chichen Itza, Mexico
Christ the Redeemer, Brazil
Petra, Jordan
The Roman Coliseum, Italy

Find out more here.

Rocknrod

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 21st, 2007
SOUNDINGS - STAFF WRITER

EDITORIAL: Soundings, the national boating magazine, is looking for a full-time staff reporter to work in its Essex, Conn., office. The writer will be expected to produce clear, accurate stories on a variety of marine subjects, from sail- and powerboats to general boating events. News writing and boating experience required. Soundings Publications, LLC, is a division of Dominion Enterprises. Dominion offers a dynamic environment, excellent growth opportunities, competitive earnings and a comprehensive benefits package including a generous 401 (K). If you have the skills and seek challenging growth opportunity, send cover letter, clips and salary history to Esther Pope, Editorial Assistant,
Soundings, 10 Bokum Rd., Essex, CT 06426.
Phone: 860-767-3200 ext. 230.
E-mail: soundings@soundingspub.com.

Trade Only Today – The Boating Business Newspaper Online
---
Restoration projects I'm working on...
-- Noel - WWII Coast Guard Cutter
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/ -- My Pearson Triton sailboat.

Poirot

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 3rd, 2007
Hi everybody

I am John of the WiZZ.to Travel Guide.
Our travel guide puts local communities first, not airline tickets or hotel bookings.
We are trying to get a bit of collabaration going between travelers, website operators of small tourism businesses, and local travel guides.
Tourism and travel businesses can sponsor travel articles submitted by travelers or travel writers, if they do not have the skill or time to submit an article themselves, or if they want to support a good travel writer.
Authors can also submit a profile and to encourage websites to sponsor a good article, the articles are available to be copied together with the author's profile and the sponsor's link.

Find out more here: Get paid up to $40 for your travel article.

Comments and suggestions gracefully accepted Smile

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 7th, 2008
Are you the travel blogger they're looking for to write about this trip to Iceland?

noambit

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2008
noambit.com is now accepting article submissions. They're looking for articles providing advice and tips on traveling in Europe.
Submission Guidelines
noambit.typepad.com

AlexW

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 14th, 2008
52 Perfect Days is an online travel magazine.
http://www.52perfectdays.com/

Here are the writers guidelines http://www.52perfectdays.com/writers-guidelines
Alexa Meisler
Editor
www.52perfectdays.com

eeyartee

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 18th, 2008
CALL FOR WRITERS!

If you have been victim to the "dangers and annoyances" of life on the road, we want to hear about it!

World Swirl Press, a publishing venture of travel writer/blogger Erik R. Trinidad (TheGlobalTrip.com, the "Would You" video), is looking for contributors for an upcoming travel guide and anthology of stories about the scams you've encountered while traveling. We seek well-written, narrative stories — 1,500 words or less — each recounting the incident from beginning to end. We are also looking for "sidebar" content — lists or blurbs about the travel scams you've seen happen, heard about, or fallen for. All written contributions should detail the location of the scam, the circumstances, how it is executed and how it could be avoided. Narratives should also capture the emotion of the incident.

For details, please visit www.WorldSwirl.com. We are accepting written contributions through the end of 2008, so submit your travel scam story today!
e.

www.TheGlobalTrip.com

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 30th, 2008

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 22nd, 2008
A friend just sent me this:

quote:
Publication or Company: Travel Channel Media
Industry: Internet/Online/New Media
Benefits: Flexible Hours
Job Duration: Freelance/Project Basis
Job Location: New York, NY USA
Job Requirements: Writers needed to identify and write 120 travel-related "points of interest" for 15 European cities to be used as content in a series of GPS-specific products offered by the Travel Channel. Points of interest include restaurants, museums, stadiums, parks, and more. Writer should live (or have lived) in or near the city he or she is writing about and be comfortable entering data into a web-based content management system. Must have access to the Internet and be able to work in a deadline driven environment. Clear and concise writing is paramount—as is accuracy! Guidebook and magazine writing experience is a plus. Cities where writers are needed include Madrid, Dublin, Venice, Copenhagen, London, Paris, Berlin, Stockholm, Munich, Zurich, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Venice and the Czech Republic. Contact Christopher Collier at colliertravels@aol.com.

Yamina

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 20th, 2009
The Telegraph newspaper (UK) has a weekly competition (for UK residents only though :() entitled 'Just Back' - up to 500 words and the winner each week gets £200!

:D
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-writing-competition/

Happy Writing!!

PPooDD

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 20th, 2010
I am looking for talented writers who are also travelers. This is not a blogging exercise, but it will be possible for you convert conventional blog entries into the required material.

1. You are a traveler, not just a gap year student or someone who has an exciting holiday once a year.
2. Have some material that you have written to show me. More is better.
3. Be prepared to write according the prescribed format I require. The format is easy and enjoyable to work within.
4. Be ready, willing and able to generate at least one original piece of new work each week (not difficult).
5. Be prepared and able to comment on, edit and work with the work of fellow travelers.
6. Have an interest in the darker seamier side of life: sex, drugs, crime, grime, death, danger, recklessness, unusual culinary experiences. People are not interested in reading about what a great time you had. People are only reading about how adversity overcame you or was overcome by you.
7. Have a ‘voice’.

I am especially interested in recruiting females – it is already too blokey – and those who can write objectively about anywhere except Asia. We are 70% male and about 70% of submissions are about Asia. We are also 100% white westerners, which is disturbing, to say the least.

I am extremely open and will be happy to tell you anything you want to know.

There is a chance that this venture will be profitable but that is at least six months away. The only real reason for signing up at the moment is the desire to become a better writer and the desire to reach a higher quality audience than the family and friends you are probably restricted to at the moment. I'll expose the finances to anyone who becomes active on my list. I'll give a way a few hundred dollars at christmas for active members, probably as a competition or award it by public acclaim.

We don't really want or need passengers or voyeurs at this stage. I really want all members to be active. You can read everything without becoming a member. You should only become a member if you are interesting in writing for us. It is incredibly frustrating when someone signs up and then disappears. I have a habit of deleting them! The Editing list is a good place to start looking. It is a kind of limbo or purgatory where old stories rest until I get the real website up and running.
http://s7.zetaboards.com/PPooDD/forum/49678/

First, when you become a member, please post a biography and a pic. If you have been introduced to PPooDD by another member, please state that clearly on your biography.
http://s7.zetaboards.com/PPooDD/forum/49684/

Second: write something and stick it on the submissions board.
http://s7.zetaboards.com/PPooDD/forum/49678

On initial submission, all writing should be less than 500 words, but they may 'loosen off' a little in the editing and review process. 500 words has been chosen for numerous reasons, not least amongst them is that this is an amount of text that people are comfortable reading on an iphone (there will be an app), and it is good for anthologizing. Perhaps the most important reason is that it is quick and easy to edit. I need the 'units of communication' to be easy to handle. You should be able to edit a submission in twenty minutes.

Initially, work should be
• a complete story of a single incident
• written in the third person
• informative
• epitomize some aspect of the place it is set in

The third person part is very important. All those travel blogs out there are rubbish - I have read hundreds of them mainly because they are all me me me me. Family and friends is not an approprite audience for serious writers. The real world is not interested in you: the real world is interested in a good story, well told.

Writing in third person gives you a much greater objectivity about events. It allows you to view your own work and experiences much more like the reader and greatly facilitates narrative gambles without feeling that you are distorting the facts. Invent an alter ego for yourself, but do not write fiction. In general, in literature and all other kinds of writing, the first person is much harder to pull off than the third. Make it easy on yourself.

Third, edit and comment on at least 2 other pieces of work on the editing board. I try not to lock up a thread until it has been reviewed at least twice. Logically if two people are going to work on your piece, you have to work on at least two others.
http://s7.zetaboards.com/PPooDD/forum/49678

Please do not try to communicate with me here. Do it through 'write to Jonathan'
http://s7.zetaboards.com/PPooDD/forum/49683/

Read the work that is up on the board. If you like it, join us. If you don't like it, vaya con dios. There is no real need to tell us how much you dislike us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jonathan Shearer, Ultimate Castaway.

DTGuruWendy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2011
We're looking for aspiring and enthusiastic travel writers and photographers who want to get their work published and make a name for themselves. A perfect opportunity for those hoping to make it in the travel writing industry, as well as those who simply enjoy it as a hobby.

Work towards 'DT Guru' status for a country of your choice by submitting photos and articles on at least six cities, on Destination-Traveler.com. This is a brand-new initiative, and we're hoping to celebrate our first Guru's soon!

All those who reach 'Guru status' will receive an exclusive badge to show on your blog or portfolio, proof that your work has been vetted and approved by the editors of Destination-traveler.com as well as your peers.

View this page for more information: http://www.destination-traveler.com/dt_gurus.asp

Previous

Return to Travel Writing