Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Traveling to Paris and don't speak French?

enic

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 16th, 2014
I'll be traveling to Paris in a few weeks and I'm a little nervous because I don't speak any French at all. I'm trying to learn some basic phrases like "parlez vous anglais?". Two questions:

1) Is it possible to navigate through the city with little minimal knowledge of the French language?
2) How will you be treated by locals if you don't speak French?

Lucy Stanmore

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2014
Most youngsters in Paris will speak English, so with a minimum knowledge of English, you shouldn't have any problems. However, you can always take an English - French guide book with you to help you get along. Since there are thousands of tourists in Paris, I don't think that anyone will funny at you because you do not speak French.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 6th, 2014
Last time I was on the Paris metro, it occurred to me that more people were speaking English than French. Don't worry about it.

If you're going elsewhere in France, it can be more of a barrier. Almost everyone under then age of 50 or so took English in school, but as with any skill that doesn't get used for decades, people get rusty at it.

As with anything, your experience of how people treat you will vary. If you're polite and friendly, odds are you will receive polite and friendly treatment in return. But if you don't, it's not likely to be due to your language skills, more so one of the following:
- You feel you're being treated rudely due a different set of cultural expectations. The person you're interacting with does not feel they are being rude.
- You're the thousandth tourist today to do the same annoying thing. (Living in a tourist mecca can be exasperating.)
- You've encountered someone who just isn't very nice to people, but it has nothing to do with you.

Ddrezner

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2014
1. enough people speak English for you to get around.

2. If you try to speak even rotten French before speaking English, the Parisians will probably hear your desecration of their mother tongue, then say
"Oh, I can help you. Do you speak English?"

At that point you are home free. If you launch in English, you may not get information volunteered as easily.
Tortuga traveller

amylee

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2015
hahahahah : ) I think it'S gonna be so enjoyfull because French people so conservative about their language.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2015
August in Paris, you won't find many people who speak French.

Return to Europe Travel