Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

travellers' cheques or credit card in Cambodia and Laos?

LisaLeue

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 23rd, 2005
Hi
I'm debating whether to bring all my money in traveller's cheques or whether to rely on my credit card to get money out in Cambodia and Laos. I know that I can use both only in major banks and that I'll probably need to have cash on me for most of the time.
However, can anyone give me some advice of what works better? For traveller's cheques, do the banks usually charge a commission? I think the credit card campanies charge a 'conversion fee' of about 2.75% (well, my bank does).
Thanks for any tips!
Lisa

irishpdx

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

I changed travellers checks in Vientienne (US Dollars - VISA checks) in February and there was no commission and I'm pretty sure the exchange rate was the same as cash.

Personally, I would only get a cash advance from my credit cards if I had no other option because of the ridiculous fees my cards charge and the fact that interest starts accruing immediately.

Craig_904

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Start an account up with Nationwide, they don't charge any commission for using ATM's abroad. Also a good tip for Cambodia is take your dollars in as small amounts as possible, this really does help.

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

http://boards.bootsnall.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4480.../r/66910132#66910132

Some past discussion. ATM's are pretty non existent in Laos and Cam.
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

Bubbha

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 26th, 2005
You'll have no problems with traveler's checks in Cambodia and Laos. Credit card cash advances can be done in Siem Reap at certain banks - I've seen it done. But you do get hit with a hefty surcharge. It's better to use traveller's checks.

In Laos, the ritziest hotels might be able to do credit card transactions, but I wouldn't bank on it. Travelers' checks were no problem at all in Laos banks.

If I were you, I'd go with travelers checks.
--
"Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia." - Chinese proverb

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 26th, 2005
ATMs are now in Cambodia, according to Tales Of Asia.

kate101

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 28th, 2005
Just back from Siem Reap, had american express travellers cheques in US dollers, no trouble changing them, every small travel agent seemed to do them (and theres a lot of those in siem reap!), and only charged 1% commision. The bank had fairly short openong hours, but the agents were open late, some till 9.
And i agree with the advice to get money in as small change as possible, you'll start hoarding those $1 bills fairly quickly!

Return to Asia Travel