Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Travelling anywhere and everywhere

maxihobbs

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 18th, 2012
Hi all,

Thought I'd get involved in this exciting part of the forum.

My plan is to leave everything behind here (in England) in 2014 and start a voyage that potentially has no ending. I aim to have saved up 5 figures (anything between £10-£15k) , travel Europe then onto the Trans-Mongolian before living and working in Asia teaching English for potentially a year. After this the world is m oyster.

Will probably head to Oz, South America and North America - I like the idea of not knowing where I'll end up, what I'll be doing, who I'll meet etc. I find it more exciting than booking a trip and knowing exactly where and when it ends up, each to their own I guess.

Has anyone done anything similar, travelled and worked on the road and not had a clue where they'll be next week.

I've scoured the forums for tips and tricks but if anyone has their own stories and things you believe I should be doing please share. It's around 18 months away yet but times flies!

Thanks all

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

Not personally but I did meet a Scandinavian guy who had been on the road for 5 years, working in OZ when money got scarce, so it's possible.

Teaching English with a degree + experience will keep you going until at least 65.

Good luck 8-)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

maxihobbs

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I plan on taking the TEFL course closer to the time. I also have a degree backing me up so it basically gives me the chance to work anywhere in the world which is ideal, although I'd love to do a range of jobs over the World and see how I enjoy various ones.

Thanks for the response

busman7

Share on Orkut

Most countries have an online job board where you can see an assortment of NGO positions, never know what you may find. :)

ConradVagabond

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 28th, 2012
Last edited by ConradVagabond on November 30th, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

busman7

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 29th, 2012
ConradVagabond wrote:I might be the guy you're looking for since I am a vagabond.
I've only been traveling around europe for five months, but it already feels like a year.

First and foremost, don't take this lightly. Being a vagabond means being homeless, and that is something no one is ready for. Being hungry and having nohing to eat, having nowhere to take shelter and rest when you're tired. All the sorrow, melancholy and pain. I have met other travelers like me on the road and all of us have gone through the same hardships at some point, and all of us have asked ourselves the same questions: ''What am I doing'' ''Why am I even here?''.

You will face many hardships and challenges, but don't let this put you in a bad mood. Staying in good spirits when you travel is essential.

Good things will happen too, of course. You'll get to make many friends on the road and you will see lots of interesting and beautiful stuff. For example, right now I am in Sweeden and a swedish family is giving me shelter, food and good company. They are also willing to pay me a plain ticket for my next destination. Take every good and bad thing as it comes, be open for everything. Let your luck run its course.

As for work. You seem to have some good savings, which in my opinion are more than enough. I travel with (almost) nothing in my pockets and I still manage to survive.
I have found some work on the road, but I have never looked for anything. I only take the offers of the friends I meet on my way. If I did I would probably find some oportunities for seasonal jobs. They only take a few days or weeks, perfect for travelers. Also I heard that in some places in asia it's even easier, you don't even need a deegre to teach english and you can work in hotels just because you

Just go for it. The road ahead will be dark and sometimes even scary, but what lies beyond is beautiful. I wouldn't change this for anything.

Actually you aren't a vagabond, merely a lazy bum! :(

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 29th, 2012
ConradVagabond wrote:I might be the guy you're looking for since I am a vagabond.
I've only been traveling around europe for five months, but it already feels like a year.

First and foremost, don't take this lightly. Being a vagabond means being homeless, and that is something no one is ready for. Being hungry and having nohing to eat, having nowhere to take shelter and rest when you're tired. All the sorrow, melancholy and pain. I have met other travelers like me on the road and all of us have gone through the same hardships at some point, and all of us have asked ourselves the same questions: ''What am I doing'' ''Why am I even here?''.

Wow, something went terribly wrong in the planning or preperation phase of your trip if you are at this point after only 5 months. I guess some people do go for the "hobo" lifestyle, but I personally don't think traveling should be about "sorrow melancholy and pain." Thats what most people are traveling to avoid! Now, I haven't gone around the world in one go yet, that massive of a trip still require a couple years of savings, but I'm pretty sure that "why am I even here?" should not be a question that often enters your mind. This is all bad advice from someone who I doubt is really homeless (been there, didn't spend my time on internet forums). I have to agree with Busman, for once, you sir are not a vagabond, you are a bum. Proper saving and proper budgeting will prevent you from becoming what ConradVagabond purports to be. A dirty bum, taking advantage of other people's pity.

Hedonist

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 31st, 2012
I'd say Conrad hasn't got a clue.

Maxihobbs, first you need to separate travel and working somewhere. Often when people talk about this, they confuse the two. They have some 'idea' about finding work for short periods of time (less than 6 months) in between months of travel. That is highly unlikely.

Travel means money has to be available to do so. Work means you have to live somewhere for a period of time to earn money. You can't do both at the same time. It really is a question of defining the word 'travel'.

Living in Korea (example) for a year teaching TEFL is a great way to spend time in a country and learning about the culture etc. of that country. But it is not travelling.

Expecting to find work for a month that will pay for a month on the road and repeating that process again and again is simply not practical. What jobs could someone find in your home country that would allow someone to do that? The same applies in any other country with the added issue of being able to legally work in that country. You don't get a work permit for a month of casual labour.

Then you have the issue of longer term 'vagabonding'. Yes, some people have spent many years away from their home country. They're called expats, not travellers. The only travellers who have spent years away from home have the money to pay for their travelling.

You can spend a year working and perhaps save enough to pay for 6 months of travel and repeat that process several times but I guarantee you that you will not be doing it for 20 years. Inevitably you will get tired of that sooner rather than later.

There are also practical issue to consider. What will you do when you get too old to continue moving on every year or two? How will you maintain medical insurance? What will you live on in your old age?

While it is possible to have a career as an expat, there is no such thing as a career traveller.

MilanTodoroo

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2013
Hi Maxihobbs,

I had a similar experience when I traveled to Australia. I went to about one month vacation to my relative. Else nothing was agreed, prepared.
I landed at the airport, everything was perfect. At some point while I was waiting for luggage, I noticed that the dog comes up to me and sniffs me, as well as carry-on luggage that I carry (it was all spontaneous - that almost no one would notice) finally I got to the airport, everything was Ok.

As I did not know what to do at night I went out for a walk and see what the city of Brisbane, a little to feel the air, the behavior of people and so on. At some point on a small plateau at the mall, I noticed a bunch of people playing salsa. I felt a positive energy and approached. There it all began, after I found where these people get around.

I love salsa and that was some short experience of mine.

I hope I helped Maxihobbs
With Kind Regards
Milan Todoroo
I always wonted to travel to Paris

Drifting

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2013
I've been traveling now for about two years with no real planning. The main thing I will do is go to a certain area. You never know beforehand how much you will like the place you are in. It all depends on the atmosphere and people I meet but it's something I never know before arriving.

There's a couple cities I will stay a month in, others just a night or two. As for picking my next destination I often will talk to other people staying in my hostel and take suggestions to a nearby destination. Or ill go to local expat/traveller hangouts and just ask for ideas. Often you have others who have good ideas since try are often traveling the same area you are at the time. Then I'll book a flight/bus/train and take off. So no real planning or me... it's just about following that feeling you get when it's time to go.

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel