Categories
Recent Entries

Archives

July 12, 2004

I bet Charles Darwin wasn't THIS boring!

Amandas been getting mad at me for not posting more to the Rough Guides site so there may be a bit of crossover if you are viewing both sites. I like to put more of the crappy pictures here on the blog when I have some.

Well, we made it to Darwin. Australia's top-end, touristy, tropical destination where their main claim to fame is being bombed to hell and back by the Japenese in WWII. Everywhere you go in Darwin you're sure to pick up a few tidbits of information about the attack. Its nice here and the people try to be friendly though I'm still not sure its entirely the socially acceptable thing to do in Australia. It just may be that people in the tourist industry don't like the tourists. I can understand. We can be stupid about not knowing anything about the place. For the locals, its the center of the universe and they feel slighted if you think its not the best place in the world. Oh well.

I'm actually pretty bored here. We've been trying to figure out the next step in our adventures since we've done all the real sight seeing. We've been trying to find a berth on someone's personal yacht and sail over to Bali or Thailand. Flights to Bali from here are OUTRAGEOUS. We could from home for about the same cost! I know some of you are freaking out about the possibility of riding around on some strangers boat but we're being careful. We'll find out tonight if the one captain were hoping to ride with comes through for us. He's got a 10-11 meter skeg keel sailboat with all the little fancy radars and doo-das. We've met with him and a few of friends and he seems to be a really nice guy. We're looking into taking a few sailing lessons while we wait to ship off. It looks like alot of fun. I'll keep you posted. Pray it works out or we might be stuck here a while! I'd be bored into spending any amount of money to get out of here!

So for now I'm trying to enjoy the rare free internet access in Australia here at the Northern Territory Parliament house library. I'd post some pictures but they are sticklers about the computers here and honestly, there's not much to see in Darwin. So unless you think a picture of an ugly building is cool it may be a little while before I have more to show. I'm not sure that anyone is still out there checking this stuff anymore though. It seems people are tired of hearing about us travelling around. You can still write us emails people! (Except Gramma and Grampa...they write emails!) Write us if you get bored, we'll have something in common.

Post again soon.

Josh

Posted by Josh on July 12, 2004 05:07 AM
Category: Where are we?
Comments

Hey Man. We all still Love hearing from you! Come on everybody....lets give these guys some love!!!!Everybody.............everybody.?.......anyone?......hey you.....yeah you.....get over here.....come give my boy some encouragement. I don't care what your name is......tell my boy he's awesome!

Posted by: Steven on July 12, 2004 05:58 PM

Josh & Amanda, I would be so unhappy if you were to stop sharing the journey with us. I have told you that this is the most exciting trip I have ever been on and cannot wait to see our next destination and how we get there. You have taken me to places I have never been to and your pictures have made it so real. Every day I anxiously search for your latest entry. Your dad thinks you are 'awesome', I think so too. Love to you both. Stay safe.

Posted by: Mike Saul on July 13, 2004 07:57 PM

You bring far away cultures closer to everyone reading this. If you're stuck in a place that's a little boring, then write about it.

Don't forget who you are and what you're made of!

Love U.

Posted by: Mr. Possibility on July 14, 2004 02:35 AM

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the positivity!! I appreciateyour emails and am just being pitiful about not getting enough of them.

Love ya,
Josh

Posted by: Josh on July 14, 2004 10:53 AM

Gosh dern. you are one more awsome couple. I can't wait to share some of these pictures with some of my students, they will be thrilled. I am sure they will never see some of these sites. Some of them have never left Palmetto. Talk about rural, I took a ride in that community and thought I was in a third world country. Much work to be done here. Carry on you two. What you are doing will enhance everyone involved. I am so proud, as well as entertained. What good fun. Sorry you are bored. But you are Free! Free! Free! God bless Liberty and Justice for all. Wait a minute. Wait a minute. I am getting carried away. Guess I've been watching too many political campaigns. So, in the name of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness. Goodbye...for now...still bored.

Posted by: grandma on July 15, 2004 03:35 AM

Hey guys, your trip sounds absolutely amazing! Thanks for capturing its beauty and brillance in your journal entries because there is no other way at the time that I can enjoy it with you guys. I miss both of you very much! I'm full of envy and admiration for the hard work that you guys went through to get to the other side of the world. Keep taking lots of pictures! Love you both!

Posted by: Alison on July 16, 2004 03:46 AM
Email this page
Email this entry to:

Your email address:

Message (optional):

Designed & Hosted by the BootsnAll Travel Network