Offers insights on how to find an accessible room and suggest air travel tips for wheelers and slow walkers. Dish info on the best airline bathrooms and the hassle-free ways to deal with airport security.

tube feeding on the go

gettingready

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 11th, 2010
Hi
I would really like to hear from anyone who has managed to tube feed themself or someone else while travelling.
I have a young child with a disability. For us its not wheelchair access or toileting issues that are the problem. She is young and light enough that she can be carried in a backpack.
However, she is entirely dependant on tube feeding. While many tube-fed people use formula,which is easy to travel with, our daughter does not tolerate it.
I cook and blend fresh food, meat, veg, oils, fruit etc and this is what she 'eats'.
So not only do I need some where to plug in my blender every few days, we require refridgeration, or the ability to make ice bricks to keep food cold when out and about all day.
We have some experience doing this. We road tripped around Australia for 9 months sucessfully. We had a caravan, and our own generator and gas/12V fridge etc. Not a problem.

So clearly we could motorhome around in Europe or Canada etc, where this is the best way to travel with a young family anyway in these places.
But what about asia? Its really more of a backpacky place. At a push we could carry the blender and bits and pieces. Renting a hut for a month would work great too. But its all the in between bits that are a problem.
Has anyone dehydrated real food and had a 'just add water' recipe with any success?

What if we are in Nepal and there's no power? I thought of rigging up a rechargable or 12V hand held power drill and attatching a blade to it so I could buy fruit, eggs, soup etc and blend them up each meal. if I blended each meal, theres not need to keep stuff cold for hours. But it may not be simple to do every meal. Currently she eats 2 hourly as well.

I'm sure this is not an insurmountable problem. I have just yet to meet anyone who has a solution!

I have a small snse of urgency too. I guess we know out travelling days may be limited as our daughter get heavier. The world is not a wheelchair accessable place. So while she can still be carried easily, we want to get out and explore.

I'd really appreciate any lateral thinking or links to any blogs of people who might know

thanks so much :D

gettingready

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 13th, 2010
I have no idea but I certainly wish you the best!!! Wish I could offer you something helpful but good for you for exploring your possibilities in spite of the challenges you are facing!!! We can all do whatever we can do and we all have our obstacles to deal with, although some of us obviously have much bigger ones to deal with than others!

Renee

khandilee

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

It would be heavy and I am not sure how you are traveling but could you home-can her food? This may not be reasonable for a long extended trip but if you can use the blender and make meals when your somewhere accessible then use your home canned food when electricity and refrigeration are not available, it might work. I traveled in Vietnam and other than a few really out of the way places, always had electricity. I think if you watch where you go and book guesthouses in advance, you will be fine. The other idea would be a battery operated blender, a quick search of these found that most only have about 20 mins of operating time on full battery though so that could be an issue.

I am a nurse and am impressed by your drive to find a way to do this.....hope it works out for you.

gettingready

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

thanks so much to both of you for your replies.
I had not thought of canning, I think it would work, but the weight would be an issue. We have to work out how comitted we are to 'pure' backpacking any way. If we are going to have suitcases, and use taxis, a bit more weight would be ok.

I aslo have to design and build ( or find!) a go-anywhere wheelchair that can climb steps, with a removable seat for use it the car/plane/train, and able to be attatched to a back pack.

so a few hurdles to go!

gettingready

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Hi
Having not carried canned food with me while travelling, I'd suggest dehydrating would be easier. Definitely lighter and take less space. You could do a dummy run at home, trying out how the food reconstitutes, quanitities you need etc before you go.
Or, as you suggest, stick to motorhoming in Europe to start with!
Of course, if you're intent on getting to Asia, it is still doable. Most of the guesthouses where we stayed did not have guest kitchens - but in your exceptional circumstances I cannot see the owners saying you could not use *their* kitchen. I think people will bend over backwards to accomodate your needs.

Also, I have a weelchair bound friend who has travelled a bit in Asia - I could put you in contact with him if you think he might be of assistance.

gettingready

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 14th, 2010
thanks!
I may call on you for your friend's contact details as the time approaches!

I have a dehydrator on my wish-list!

ta

gettingready

Return to Travel with Disabilities