Dust off a forgotten foreign tongue, debate the best ways to learn another language, pick up some slang in the local lingo, discuss regional dialects... It's all about being multi-lingual, baby.

Turkic Languages

Michael C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 18th, 2008
Let's say I learn standard Turkish (I have a good start). How well will this help me in other Turkic places, such as Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Xinjiang (China)?
Michael C

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2008
You'll do fine, since most variations of turkish are very similar. You'll actually do more than fine, since they love foriegners that speak their language.

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2008
I lived in Turkey for over three years and became quite proficient in the language. Though I never traveled to any of the other Turkic-speaking countries, I have met people from them and talked to them with varying levels of mutual (in)comprehension.

The languages in the Turkic family seem to form a sort of continuum, much like the Germanic family, maybe even more so. The change from one language to the next doesn't suddenly occur at the border but gradually happens. What I noticed was that I could have pretty normal conversations with people from Kazakstan westward but found it difficult to communicate with people from east of there. A lot of the vocabulary is shared throughout all the languages, but pronunciation might vary quite a bit. Another issue is the alphabet -- some countries use a modified Roman alphabet, while others use Cyrillic, and I believe the people in Xinjiang use an Arabic-based alphabet.

Turkish will definitely help though as a lot of people apparently learn Turkish as a second language.

Osman23

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2009
Turkish will definitely help you with other languages. But I am not sure about the alphabets they use. Still, i think it will help you much while speaking
The best of Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey and travel notes for geeks.

http://balkanatolia.wordpress.com

Return to In Other Words