Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

Two months in SE Asia

mrisajne

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 3rd, 2011
Hello, my name is Marissa and I am planning a backpacking trip to SE Asia. I don't think I will be too far off the beaten path, but in any case I was wondering if there were some precautions I should take as far as vaccinations, iodine tablets, malaria pills, etc.

I plan to visit:

Thailand - mostly Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Koi Samui, Pattaya
Myanmar - Madalay, Yagon
Cambodia - Phnom Penh, Siem Reap
Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh
Laos - Vietiane
Bali

If anyone could give me some helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated!

ACBungalow

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2011
Yes, you should probably get some vaccinations and malaria tablets. Check out this link for specifics: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm

Also, if you just go to the doctor they'll probably have a similar list so if you just tell them where you're going they'll know what you need. At least this is what the clinics where I live did.

Hope this helps!
I also write about my travels and post photos in my Off The Beaten Path Travel Blog, come by and say hi!

Mama-to-many

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2011
Malaria meds are entirely optional - there's a school of thought that says it's better to take nothing unless you get ill. I subscribe to this thinking.

A steripen is useful.

And if you're going to Laos, I would highly recommend heading a bit further north and visiting Luang Prabang - it's MUCH nicer than Vientianne.

mrisajne

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Ahh yes, I am definitely visiting Luang Prabang and looking VERY forward to it. Already looking for steripens too. :) Thanks a lot you guys!

mrisajne

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Ahh yes, I am definitely visiting Luang Prabang and looking VERY forward to it. Already looking for steripens too. :) Thanks a lot you guys!

Christian Renee Friborg

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 13th, 2012
It's good that you're taking precautionary measures before going places!

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 14th, 2012
Doxycycline is the type of med I have used for malaria prevention, it also has side benefits like keeping general infections away and curing some of the milder forms of VD. It also has drawbacks, you have to take it daily, and you need to be careful in the sun as it can make you photosensative (sun burn a lot easier, get heat injuries easier) and some people can get upset stomach if you take it on an empty stomach. Even with the drawback, I like it, because Malaria is like Herpes, once you have it you have it for life. Its treatable and it might not always be active, but its always there. That why I am of the "prevent preventable illnesses" school of thought.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2012
Another year+ old thread dredged up by posters with nothing original to say.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 17th, 2012
OK, yea, this post is long out of date fair enough. It popped in the Active Posts page, I should check the original dates tho. I believe that I provided a little snippet of useful information regardless. One question, is your purpose on this message board to discourage new members and discussion?

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2012
BlueLlama777 wrote:OK, yea, this post is long out of date fair enough. It popped in the Active Posts page, I should check the original dates tho. I believe that I provided a little snippet of useful information regardless. One question, is your purpose on this message board to discourage new members and discussion?

Not at all, just figure spamming on old posts of trips long completed isn't contributing anything to board members.

I also express my opinion when I feel it is justified to counter an opinion of any poster, new or veteran.

BTW just look at the number of posts you have made and the very few I responded to, then look at the one where you labeled me a troll.

Dude what goes around, comes around :!: :shrug:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Return to Health and Travel