Discuss everything from climbing Machu Picchu, expeditions in the Outback, rafting the Zambezi River, hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, shark diving in the Bahamas, or anything that offers a little bit of excitement in the great outdoors.

Unknown adventure destinations

Danielle Jordan

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 21st, 2010
Hello All,

I am looking for a little advice. I have done quite a bit of traveling over the last 10 years. But now I am looking for something more off the beaten path. My question to all of you is, Where is the best unknown travel destinations?
I don't need anything fancy. I am willing to sleep in tents or outside and I love adventure. My travel time can be up to 6 weeks. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Danielle

holidayer

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 1st, 2010
sounds wild. For ten years we might be suggesting some place you have traveled. Which continent are you eyeing ?

elAdi

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2010
Southern Russia (Altay region) offers great adventure options. Kyrgyzstan sees it's share of travelers, but still feels remote enough. There are good mountain treks to be done on the border between Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. Tajikistan sounds fantastic, but I can't comment on that first hand.

There obviously are some serious jungle treks in Kalimantan and Borneo and we've come across an Aussie adventurer who picks random streams and kayaks them down.

Eventually, your own level of involvement will decide how 'adventurous' a trip is. We're currently in Thailand and we generally see white faces only every few days, due to the route we're taking (and the fact that cycling forces us to camp and stay in places no tourist bothers to stop). I didn't expect that before coming here and it shows that it all depends on the HOW not the WHERE.
My personal travel website
Cycling from Indonesia to India (09-11) Fabebook Page
----------------------------------------------
"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

Danielle Jordan

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 16th, 2010
I have recently been very interested in Africa. I did the east African safari route. I loved every minute of it but it seems to be getting overrun with tourist. I don't know much about western Africa or if it is a good idea to head that way.

Thanks for the suggest of central Asia. I have never been anywhere near there. I will start doing some research!

Danielle

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 16th, 2010
Northern Niger was interesting. The desert was really fascinating and I went to a bar that seemed like it was out of Star Wars. It's definitely off the beaten path. I kept thinking I'd go back to do some desert camping there.

I also really loved Central African Republic. The landscape is like a park, beautiful grasslands with flowers and trees and waterfalls and butterflies everywhere. Of course, malaria is very bad there.

The Touron King

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2010
Bangladesh is an amazing place. The people are very hospitable and there are very few tourists.
-----------------------------
Kelsey Timmerman
Author of Where Am I Wearing?
SCUBA instructor, Touron
www.WhereAmIwearing.com

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2010
I am drawn to Paraquay. Unfortunately, my timeframe does not allow for me to get a visa to the country.

It is a south american country with a low level of tourist infrastructure.

If you want Eastern Europe- I recommend Georgia, the country.

A friend told me Azjerbizan was Amazing,,,,

All depends on what you define as adventure. An acquaintance does prostitution tourism. Is that adventurous enough?
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Lancer786

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2010
They are doing similar contest here to find unknown places to visit and people sent them a load of places, you may can find one of your choice..

http://unvisitedplaces.com/

KathrynD

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 10th, 2010
Just went to Sichuan. Saw a most beautiful national park in the mountains there: Jiuzhaigou. Has trails all throughout the park, lovely meadow walking with tuquoise lakes and cascades.

Bedhead

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2010
I want to second KatherynD. Sichuan and other areas of Western China are pretty isolated and rarely visited. For all kinds of reasons, China has some vast areas that are off the beaten path and don't get many travelers, even Chinese travelers. You might look into the DongBei region in the far Northeast, too.
If you're going to visit Beijing, get some tips from an expat on where to stay, where to eat, and where to have fun.

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 22nd, 2010
I highly recommend Uganda, it is an up and coming destination in Africa and has a really good backpacker trail. Between trekking around Sipi Falls you can do gorilla trekking (a life highlight for most), canoeing around Lake Bunyoni (also offers some volunteer opportunities in their islands), rafting the NILE! which can be done in a half day or on a week long expedition camping as you go, bungee jumping (although it is a small jump it is still awesome to do it in Africa), kayak school in Jinja. It's a small country but getting around is fun, cheap and easy. Also going to the Sesse Islands by fisherman's boat is an adventure in itself. You can easily spend 4-6 weeks here doing everything.

Danielle Jordan

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably be checking a few out next year!

zoomcharlieb

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 1st, 2010
Has anyone done any trekking in the Cuchamantanes of North western Guatemala. Am thinking of going there maybe March and trying to get a guide service.

Return to Adventure Travel