How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

USD's to Australia ?

drw

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 16th, 2007
I have a friend in Australia I need to get some USD's to [in a hurry]! Anyone with [preferably direct] experience about how I can acheive this ?

A direct wire transfer is likely not an option.

Your help will be greatly appreciated !

DW

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2007
Do they have access to an ATM or bank? You could deposit money into their account, and then they could get it there. I had that done while I was overseas (most banks have a quick deposit or something where you can walk in and deposit the money into a big box, which they process by the end of the day).

DreamerHelen

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 17th, 2007
Do you have access to PayPal? I have transferred money that way and although it takes a short while to get into your Bank Account it is effective.

drw

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Hi Annie and Dreamer -

Answers to both your posts.

My friend is Italian so hers would be an IT bank account and I'm in the States so that likely wouldn't work unless going through a formal bank-to-bank wire transfer process.

payPal seems the way to go - so I setup an account. Sending immediately is no problem but I'm still unclear about how long it takes to withdraw funds at the other end. According to their website new accounts cannot be issued a payPal debit card until after 60 days - so waiting to hear back from them [payPal] now about what happens at the receiving end regarding access to the funds?

Thanks both for your feedback, is appreciated!

DreamerHelen

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

quote:
payPal seems the way to go - so I setup an account. Sending immediately is no problem but I'm still unclear about how long it takes to withdraw funds at the other end. According to their website new accounts cannot be issued a payPal debit card until after 60 days - so waiting to hear back from them [payPal] now about what happens at the receiving end regarding access to the funds?

Thanks both for your feedback, is appreciated!

I've never heard of a PayPal debit card....When I have had money transferred direct to my PayPal account I then withdraw the money and it goes direct to the allocated bank account or card attached to PayPal.

I hope that helps Smile

anniebanannie

Share on Orkut

Why isn't direct wire transfer an option?

drw

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 21st, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

As I understand direct wire transfers, this isn't an option for the average/non-business account holder using two different banks [and in this case, from two different countries].

I do it electronically all the time between my two accounts at the same bank. However some time ago my bank told me that electronic transfers to accounts of other banks was not doable online - rather it would need be done in person at a bank branch.

Which therein lies a problem. The nearest bank branch from where I'm now living is 150 miles away.

Am I missing something in the electronic or online options?

anniebanannie

Share on Orkut

I guess I was thinking more about Western Union or those type of transfer places. You pay a small fee, but if you're friend needs the money that immediately, it's worth it. Perhaps s/he can check out what type of wire services are available in AUS, and you can transfer from this end.

Of course, if PayPal doesn't work out.

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Western Union should be a viable option, but I don't remember the fees actually being small. And you should even be able to do it online using a credit card instead of a bank account.

paparazzonina

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 25th, 2007
quote:
As I understand direct wire transfers, this isn't an option for the average/non-business account holder using two different banks [and in this case, from two different countries].

In Australia I have been able to do international transfers between personal accounts at different banks and also personal to business.
It may pay to check again with your bank, asking for an international transactions branch or officer as some general bank staff do not always get skilled up in newer developments.

Sohniye

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 27th, 2007
Hello,

This is sadly something I am familiar with. I had my wallet stolen on Manly beach whilst in Australia, I had only been there four days. The idiots who took it got 20 Australian (ooooooooo) dollars and a debit card they couldn't use.

As I was moving from place to place in Australia fairly quickly getting a new card sent to me wasn't a very practical or safe option. I even tried to have the card sent to my Mom and have her two day mail it to Oz. I didn't do that because I just wasn't 100% sure I'd still be in the same location she sent it to.

End story: every six days or so days my Mom would forward me money via Western Union. All I can say is praise be to God that I had oversaved for Australia by a good 500$ USD, because each time I had to do this it cost at least 70 dollars. Why didn't I just have my Mom send more? Well, my bank put a cap on how much I could withdrawl.

I spoke to my bank (sobbing, as I called on the same day of the incident) and the answer I got when I explained my situation: You should have taken a credit card with you Mad

Another option I explored was having my money wired to me from my bank to a Commonwealth Bank account. This involved a lot of paperwork and since I was only in Oz for a month I didn't go that route.

I would suggest: western Union-One time emergency, wire transfer-visiting Oz a couple of months, In Oz over a year-just set up an Aussie account.

Cheers,

Samantha***
http://www.myspace.com/samanthasosohniye

paparazzonina

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 28th, 2007
Fee in Australia with my bank for internet international bank transfer is $22 and sure beats Western Union at $70, so if you have accounts for a transfer, that would be cheapest option I would expect.

MHeckendorf

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2007
What do the travel insurance companies reccomend in circumstances when you are abroad and lose your purse/wallet?

MH

Brambles24601

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2007
As far as the paypal goes: your freind should be able to, once they open a PayPal account, deposite the money within a very few days at most into thier IT or AU paypal linked bank account.

The PayPal debit card is amazing. Its definately worth getting once you can (especially because its free plus they give you 1% cash back...).

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit