Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Using P.O. boxes for storage?

MrTree

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 10th, 2011
I had a clever idea, but needed some specifics. What I'd like to do is store a 4-season sleeping bag during the warmer months at a post office, and swap it with my 2-season for the winter.

I figured, this way I could also mail the bag to a different location, so that I could make a swap at any post office. Is this possible? Or is there an alternative, such as storing it somewhere else, like a storage company or a train station... and then having them pick it up and mail it to the desired location?

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2011
MrTree wrote:I had a clever idea, but needed some specifics. What I'd like to do is store a 4-season sleeping bag during the warmer months at a post office, and swap it with my 2-season for the winter.

I figured, this way I could also mail the bag to a different location, so that I could make a swap at any post office. Is this possible? Or is there an alternative, such as storing it somewhere else, like a storage company or a train station... and then having them pick it up and mail it to the desired location?

How about Poste Restante? Poste restante (sometimes called general delivery) is a service whereby the post office holds mail until the recipient calls for it. It is a common destination for mail for people who are visiting a particular location and have no need, or no way, of having mail delivered directly to their place of residence. In Canada, General Delivery is also offered to the travelling public for a period of up to four months.

Apparently, post offices would have to accept foreign parcels sent as poste restante, too (in addition to letters) because of Universal Postal Union regulations.

This could work for you!

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets