Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

Using the toilet in Asia

Pete Teoh

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 13th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Mim:
<Ahh... but the rule is you wash your nether regions with your LEFT hand and you eat and shake hands with your RIGHT.>

This rule puts we Left-handers at a distinct disadvantage!! But then I suppose, how will you guys know which hand I used?!?

I will just refuse to shake your hand.
--
http://www.teoh.us/v/travel

Mim

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2007
quote:
I will just refuse to shake your hand.

Hehe - Air kisses darling!! Cracking Up
Mim
Ooops! Did I do that?
blogs.bootsnall.com/Mim/
Photos

Chinamonty

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

It is probably a good idea to go to the toilet before you use the shower if they are in the same room whenever possible. besides being more hygenic you don't have to worry about the clothes issue and you're going to get wet anyway so why not use the hose instead of ,or as well as, paper. With paper remember use no more than three sheets at a time or you will clog the thing up very quickly and make it harder to unblock. If you block one and there is hot water then try filling the toilet with hot water. I have used this a few times succesfully (before i worked out the three sheet strategy).

crazyal

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Speaking of toilets, the sit down type. Do any men notice that the water level can be unusually close to the toilet seat!!!

Without bragging, it is not difficult to end up "dunking your donut" by accident just by sitting on the seat! I hate the teeny weeny sit down toilets that are in lots of hotels in Asia.
Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

Joey

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 15th, 2007
I just want to report with out shame that I ... for the first time, used the loo with out toilet paper in Asia.

I actually think I got a more sastifying clean up this way too. I have already been choosing squatters over western toilets and this time I was in a place that I had no choice since there was no paper and I had left mine in my bag that wasn't with me. I probably could have tried holding it but it would have been awhile and really, I wanted to try something different.

So, I used the hose and the left hand.

I am a changed man. I don't expect any of you to go near me next time I see you, but I'm proud.

It really felt like a mini shower and ultimately fresher than before I went.

Mim

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Congrats Joey Re : "I just want to report with out shame that I ... for the first time, used the loo with out toilet paper in Asia."

I'll drink to that - Trinque
Just give me a bit of time to shake the hand though Wink
Mim
Ooops! Did I do that?
blogs.bootsnall.com/Mim/
Photos

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

I'll second that! Trinque

Have a nice day, Whistler.

If you can keep a sense of humour and see the funny side of life, you will never be old. SMC.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Pete Teoh

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2007
This little gizmo might come in handy for all you squat-neophytes. Big Grin

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/toto-travel-washlet-...er-you-go-253609.php
--
http://www.teoh.us/v/travel

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2007
.....The mind boggles . The spoon,s bending!!!

Have a nice day, Whistler.

If you can keep a sense of humour and see the funny side of life, you will never be old. SMC. Splitform
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

bigmaude

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 20th, 2007
Wow, the Japanese have come up with yet another weird gadget! Are they just fixated on potty stuff or are they really concerned about the environment?

marie-angelique

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 23rd, 2007
I prefer squat toilets. It feels more natural than sitting on a bowl. I don't hover, just sit on my haunches, arms around my knees, and relax.

I make most of my own travel clothes. I made a pair of pants with a zipper that unzips all the way from front to back. That and a pair of thong underwear and you don't have to worry about your clothing getting in the way (pull the undies to the side). (I also make the ankles tight, so the bottoms won't get soaked).

One time the floor was all wet and I had a large and small backpack on, managed to get my business done with both packs still on - you can't do that on a sit toilet.
"Do it now because you aren’t going to live forever" Mark Twight

Igor Berger

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2007
I heard in China you still have to do it in a line type of way! There is a small canal where you squat one in front of the other and drop your goodies!

If you are at the head of the canal it is good! But if you are in the line or last in line you will have a lot of surprises coming down towards you!
Splitform
Travel in Asia

www.travelinasia.net

angiebrown

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 8th, 2007
Just reading snippets of the thread had me recalling nasty memories of a toilet along a Mountain Province road (Philippines). Broken doors and of course no hooks, gravy floor with (filled-up) holes in it (blecchhh), sickening smell, no water, and no light!!! Dang! I almost died of asphyxiation. I was fortunate in that I only had to pee (HAD to, 'cause it was 5 hours before the next bus stop) but that was my worst experience EVER. Like a page out of Dante's inferno.

Michael C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

On the other side, the student center at the University of Hawai`i used to have signs asking students not to squat on the (western) toilets, as they break. It goes both ways, eh?

Now. I can squat fine, though sometimes I still cheat and lean my weight against the door or wall, or I hold on to the door and swing backwards. It works.

And I like the butt gun, although my first experience was painful. I turned the nozzle on too quickly, and a jet stream of glacier-cooled water shot right up my ass. Once I recovered from the shock all I wanted to do was head to my room and crawl back under the covers. These days I'm a convert.

Now for you pros ... after the squatting and the butt gun my ass is clean but wet. Are damp undies the price you have to pay, or is there a secret way to dry yourself also?
Michael C

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

quote:
is there a secret way to dry yourself also?

PreviousNext

Return to Best of the Boards