Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

wade out the recession by traveling?

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 12th, 2009
My boyfriend and I have been dutifully saving up to do a 1-year RTW (Asia, India, Africa) in 2010 or 2011. We have about $20k saved up total. I'm wondering... should we think about quitting our jobs and go now, see how far we get? My thinking is that maybe the economy will be on the up and up when we get back (is that wishful thinking?) Or should I be a more responsible adult... just thankful that I have a job and continue to save to ensure we have enough to do the RTW properly? Another thing to keep in mind- we're both in advertising so definitely not the most stable career, especially in these times. As soon as clients cut back their advertising, the lay-offs could begin. Just interested in getting people's thoughts so I can develop a plan of action one way or another...
Last edited by C-and-C on February 12th, 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Europe travels
South America to SE Asia travels

Callilucy

Waitin' For The Lentil Loaf

Share on Orkut

I'm not in the advertising business but I have seen alot of my friends go through this. If at all possible stay until you get laid off and/or are offered a good severance deal. There's no use in quitting and getting nothing when you could end up with a fairly sweet deal. If you end up without a job then you're in a decent position to travel but I think if you quit now you'd be jumping the gun and shooting yourself in the foot (to mix some metaphors). Smile

$20k total for 2 people is not alot. Are you planning on WWOOFing or teaching English or something while you travel? If not that $10k per person is going to dwindle pretty quickly. I'm no great economic mind but I don't think the economy on a whole is going to spring back anytime soon, shouting, "gotcha!" so when you do get back from travelling it will probably be difficult to find a job. Keep in mind you'll be competing for few jobs against everyone else who's been laid off plus all the new kids straight out of school. The number of workers is going to keep increasing while the jobs go down.

If I were you I'd stick it out as long as possible so that I could take my trip the way I wanted and not with anxiety of being low on funds with bleak prospects and no financial cushion on my return.
I don't want to be fearless, I want to be brave.

minerguy

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Everything Calli said makes sense. Staying where you are until something forces otherwise sounds like the way to go. If you are planning to come back into the same industry then you'll get worn out from it just as quick when you come back (I did). It will just come a few months quicker if you leave now. The key at this point is being able to get a job when you return and the later you leave the better those chances will be. I think the next year or two is going to be a good time to be on the road because less people will be doing it and prices should fall a little bit. Be thankful you've already got a good amount saved and just try to add as much as you can to it. Your plan wasn't to leave for a year or two anyway so anything before that is already a break that you weren't expecting.
Traveling by motorcycle to Alaska and beyond at BikeandBoots.com
Come along for the ride!

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I'm going to agree with the above posts. I've come to the conclusion the the state of the economy should only affect your travel plans if it forces your hand by leaving you out of a job. $20k doesn't go that far for 2 people, so you're best off to stick with your savings plan. I do fully expect that the economy should be growing a full year from now - since recessions usually last 18-24 months - but I'm skeptical that you could stretch $10k per person a full year since you haven't even bought plane tickets yet. Also, the early stages of recovery may still have fewer jobs available than the current situation, so may remain a poor time for job hunting.

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 13th, 2009
Calli, Miner, 2wanderers - thanks so much for your feedback. I had a hunch the response might be to hold off- and to be honest, I was sorta looking for confirmation so I didn't just have a knee-jerk reaction to my current circumstances. I agree that $20k won't get us as far as we'd like. I appreciate the thoughts on the economy forecasting as well-what you're saying makes sense. I'll sit tight for now and try to focus on the positives. Thanks again...
Europe travels

Travel4Life

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 25th, 2009
id agree to stick it out... keep your eyes on the prize even though it sounds like you're suffering there at work. and ya never know what kind of severance you'll get if the layoffs begin

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2009
Would you believe I was just let go? How's that for irony.
Europe travels

PhotoChick

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Well, look on the bright side.... the dollar is up right now.... last I checked it was $1.39 to the british pound, which I haven't seen since I was there in 1997. Same with Aussie $, Kiwi $, euro not so much. Mexico is looking cheaper, as is India. Not so much the currencies pegged to the US $, and China has gotten more expensive bc they are letting their currency be more realistically valued....

Not that it helps THAT much, but who knows!

Flights seem to be down too.

PhotoChick
Latest Adventure: Una Moto en Argentina
Check out my RTW blog

Bua

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Sorry to hear about the job! If it helps, I'm in a similar boat. Not laid off yet, but starting to get a not-good feeling :/ Photochick's right about exchange rates though, at least something good's coming of this.

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Sorry to hear you lost your job.

But, it sounds like you have a good excuse to start your travels. Take February as a month off to research your trip and pack up your life.

Keep your "at home" expenses as low as possible. That means getting out of your cell contract (or at least pausing it.) Maybe getting someone to take over payments on your car.

These are important factors that will stretch your budget while your travel. Do them well while your partner continues to work and earn. And then get the hello outta here and travel.

PS: If it makes you feel any better, I have a job, and I'm taking a five month leave this summer to go travel. Fingers X'ed that I can come back. :?

Bua

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 30th, 2009
lust2wander wrote:Would you believe I was just let go? How's that for irony.

Wow, the irony's thick here, I just got laid off yesterday! Hope reading this thread didn't jinx me ;) No severance either, but at least I can get unemployment I guess.

lust2wander, do you know what you're doing next? Starting to seem like I'm in a very similar situation; I'm starting to look into jobs, but was so burned out/disillusioned when I left that I'm not sure I want to jump back into it for another couple of years without a break. Right now I'm trying to figure out my next move - I wasn't planning on leaving until early 2010, so I hadn't done much planning yet. I was hoping to save up another 10k and finish paying off my car, but so much for that. I guess I can afford to go for 6+ months, more if I can find work. If I do go, I'll need another couple of months to tie up loose ends at home first. Wow, I'm going to have to think about this a bit...
Check out my blog and my Flickr page

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 1st, 2009
Bua, sorry to hear about your job! It's unfortunate how bad things are getting. Not sure what my next steps are as I'm stuck in my lease until the fall. I'll begin collecting unemployment soon, but it's not a lot. I'm terrified of losing all my savings for travel just to cover essentials like rent and health insurance- it is a huge bummer. I'm going to take a couple of weeks to visit some friends I haven't seen in a while and then I'm hoping to find some freelance soon. If not, I guess I'm going to have to get pretty creative with how I can make some money...
Europe travels

Bua

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 1st, 2009
Thanks. Yeah, you read my mind. It does kind of suck having to blow your savings just to keep afloat, but at least we have savings; I really feel bad for the people who were just getting by. If it helps, there's certainly jobs/money to be had out there, just not quite as much as before.

Getting out for a couple of weeks is a good idea, btw. I was leaving in a few weeks to go skiing, at least that'll help me clear my head. Besides that I'm planning to try and get into contact with everyone I can the next month or two to figure out options. If nothing else, I guess I'll take whatever work I can get, know I can leave when things have improved, and do what I can to cut expenses until then.
Good Luck (and things'll inprove eventually :D )
Check out my blog and my Flickr page

SoloTraveller

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 26th, 2009
If you can afford it then there is absolutely no reason to escape the downturn by heading away....you could try and leanrn new skills too,
---------------------------
Travel insurance - Travel Africa

Hungrytravelers1

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 3rd, 2009
Can you collect unemployment via Direct Deposit, while you're abroad? I've always wondered that. If so, that'd be perfect!

Next

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel