Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Walking across America starting April 2013

Hazard

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 2nd, 2013
Hi,
My name is Shad, I am a 38 year old divorced male, work as a RN in San Diego and WI. I usually work anywhere from 3-6 months saving up money and then travel. A year and a half ago, made a ill prepared attempt at crossing the states starting on the Oregon coast and heading east on the roads. I made it 120 miles, over two sizable mountains (they sure seemed they way on foot!) and pulled a muscle in my calf getting caught up in pushing too too fast. I learned a lot in that attempt about what works and what doesn't. Spent a month and a half in Peru a year later, doing the 5 day Macchu Piccu trail, learned there to definitely acclimate yourself to the altitude! I am planning another attempt at crossing the states starting around the end of March, beginning of April. After 6 days of trying to carry a 50lb. backpack, I bought a tow dolly and immediately was able to triple the amount of water I could carry as well as not having your shoulders and knees feel like you just got done carrying the ball for an NFL game. I would like to have a travel companion, race, color, gender.....none of those things mean a thing to me. Just someone who is a pleasant companion and has the knack for seeing humor in the challenges of undertaking this sort of adventure. I plan on starting very slow, stopping at a quiet place and taking time to read or maybe an afternoon spent at a farmers market or cafe, just talking to people. This is not a do or die kind of thing, its more to have an incredible experience seeing this beautiful country and its people at a vantage point you cant get from an Interstate. I am expecting to spend 6-7 thousand over 5-6 months. About every 4 days stop and spend the night in a cheap hotel and sleep on a real mattress. I also plan on using Workaway to take a break and stay with someone for a week or so and work for room and board....more for the company than needing the money. I find loneliness to be an inescapable price to pay in trying to do this journey. But even in the short time when i was travelling before, there were some incredible moments of freedom and peace, good conversation with people interested in what I was attempting.
A little more about me: I am on Facebook, would be happy to share my full name to someone who is interested in learning more about me. I was in active duty Army from 2003-2006, have been living happily single for the last 6 years since my divorce. I don't do drugs, don't drink much and have no past problems with the law. I love working as a RN....just have never been money motivated. There is so much life to experience and good people to meet for me to be spending all my time trying to hoard up money or drive a car to impress others.
Please feel free to contact me if you think this might be something you would like to do, or just to put your two cents worth in....I would be interested in the feedback. Thanks!! Shad

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 2nd, 2013
Don't have much to add but hope you have an amazing journey! I've thought about doing something similar at times though I'd probably be more into biking across the US.

Are you going to have a blog? And have you read any books about walking across the US (e.g., Peter Jenkins' book A Walk Across America)?

Hazard

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2013
I was going to write in my facebook page when I could get to a computer. Yes, Peter Jenkins book was amazing, read it when I was in the army. He had an enthusiasm for life that is enviable. Great story.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

Sounds great, have a blast. 8-)

There's a guy on Thorn Tree asking about walking from Guatemala to Managua who's getting nothing but flack from TT's resident morons. :(
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Hazard

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

You know, without trying to sound like I have my own life all figured out.....people are at all different stages of thinking. I love my stepfather and I know he means nothing but good things when he asks why I don't "settle down" and get married. I am over the desire to try to make others approve of my life. Don't get me wrong, I want to please the people I love. But I have tried REALLY TRIED, to do the 9-5 one town, one home thing. But those brief feelings of absolute magic we all know, those moments make me happy. I work as a Nurse for older people whose bodies are breaking down. If I live long enough, that's going to happen to me too.
Look at that Canadian gentleman who just got back from walking around the world for the past 11 years. Do you think he regrets that and wishes he had been spending time at work? There are some of us who just want something different (maybe not better). I simply want to have a life that i can look back on and know was interesting. Thanks for the comment!

loolie

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2013
Best of luck on your journey! I hope you are able to find a companion to travel with, otherwise I'm sure you will meet people on your trip along the way. Hope you have a great time and see so many beautiful sights!
http://justinpluslauren.com -- mine & my boyfriend's travel blog!

Hazard

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 24th, 2013
Yeah,
A travel buddy would be awesome. I have never let not having one stop me, but experiences on the road are much better with another person.

Hazard

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2013
Hi, Shad here...wanted to provide an update on my WALK. I have teamed up with Big Brothers/Big Sisters to raise awareness for their efforts. I am leaving from Myrtle beach this Sept 21 and walking mostly straight west towards my goal of the west coast. I am not soliciting anything from anybody, I want to do this walk and now am happy to be also able to possibly do some good with a charity I admire. That being said, a web page on Facebook is being created for the WALK...Shad's Big Walk for Kids. It should be up in the next month. Please feel free to follow my progress and say hi....the best part of this trip is the people i hope to meet along the way. My personal facebook page is Shad Barden...got some pics of other places I have been. Anyway, if you are on this site, you must have some pretty interesting stories yourself and I would like to hear them. Happy travels! Shad Barden

Return to USA & Canada Travel