Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Weather in England in April?

benleb

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 15th, 2006
Hi!

I'm planning a trip to England (London & other interesting + historic locations) from April 23 to May 6. What's the weather like at that time of year?

Thanks!

michey_b

Niagara Addict

Share on Orkut

Hey there

Well as its England I would say prepare for any outcome - anything could happen!

April/May - it will definately rain at some point I would put money on that. Um in April we have also had snow - but as you are in Canada it will be nothing compared to what you are used to. And also because its Bank Holiday Weekend at the end of your trip its likely to be a very nice sunny weekend.

Michelle

spiceymel

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Either that or it'll piss it down the whole weekend!!!! I agree with Michelle, prepare for all occasions from really warm weather (it's happened before!!!) to snow!! Doesn't help much I suppose but it really is the truth. I have two Canadian friends who I met travelling coming over at the same time and will be giving them the same advice. An umbrella is highly recommended!!!
Consider the hair colour a warning label...

Jester

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

I was there around April 20 last year, and the weather was similar to what it was like in Hamilton. You won't need a winter coat, but bring a jacket and a hoodie, you'll be fine.

benleb

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Thats for the feedback!

Well, I wasn't sure about choosing to visit England for 2 weeks in April+May or waiting until late August to spend 3 weeks in England+Scotland+Ireland. By then, I would have more time and more money to spend, but airlines tickets are much more expensive.

So I think I'll wait until fall... I've read in another post that the weather is great in August and September.

The Ward

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Weather was really great when I was there last winter. It was unusually warm, hardly any snow, but more then enough of cold and rainy days. But like everyone else in here said, expect anything. I was there last year around aprilish, and it was moderately warm, I would think a nice warm spring, waterproof, jacket should do just fine.
Ward

"I should like to spend the whole of my life in traveling abroad, if I could anywhere borrow another life to spend afterwards at home."

-William Hazlett-

Tizwoz

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2006
quote:
Originally posted by benleb:
So I think I'll wait until fall... I've read in another post that the weather is great in August and September.

The weather is never "great" in the UK! It is always likely to rain and there is a good chance of grey dull days at any time of year.

I think choosing when to visit the UK on the basis of the probable weather is folly! We often have heat waves at the beginning of May, and August can often be cool.

I should work on the basis on how much you want to spend and how touristy you like your cities. August and September is prime tourist season, so it'll be busy. You'll have more space to think and breathe in may!

benleb

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Thanks everyone, your help is appreciated.

April+May or August+September?... I'm a little confused. I'll have to think about it. At least, I know now what kind of weather to expect, i.e. anything.

Well, April+May seems now to be a better choice, since I'd like to visit some museums, do a lot of walking around, visit main attractions and spend some time enjoying a couple of good British beers! I also like to take pictures but, from what I've heard, shouldn't expect a lot of sunny skies... I'll take it as a bonus if there are some.

Since I have a tight budget, travelling in August+September will cost me much more money. Perhaps I should take profit from cheaper airline tickets and hostel rates if I go from April 23rd to May 6th. I can wait to visit Scotland and Ireland at another time.

Since I like history, art and archeology, I'm thinking of visiting, aside from London, some other cities or sites. I've read about Wincester, Bath, York, Canterbury, Salisbury and maybe Liverpool.

I have 13-14 days, what should I visit (I like old ruins and art) to get the most of my trip? I'm planning of staying at least 6-7 full days in London and have some money to spend on train/bus tickets.

Thanks!
-ben.

krisnk

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Hello benleb...

I haven't really anything to add to your topic but in case you haven't purchased your tickets, be sure to check out www.flyzoom.com really cheap fares with bonuses: $150 extra for 1st class, $60 for an extra leg room an $15 just to reserve a specific seat number. I am flying to london from toronto Apr 11 to May 5 and my base flight without the extra seat charges was $550 (including taxes). Hard to beat.

Cheers!!

James Taylor

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

It'l probably be very grey and depressing, raining frequently. But it won't be too cold.
------------------------------

My blog actually has some travel in now

Tizwoz

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2006
If you are into history and archeology, then the list of places that you suggested sounds pretty good.

Salisbury can be a bit difficult because there is little or no public transport there, but have a search through the boards, theres lots of comments about how people got there.

Bath and York are a really good combination coz you cover such a large span of represented history with them. You might also want to consider Oxford or Cambridge - they fill in some of the gaps and have some of the best museums in the country.

The biggest problem that you are likely to have, considering that you want to spend 6/7 days in london, is the distances between places. You are probably best choosing a couple of places to visit and sticking with that.

For example, I would suggest getting the train from London up to York (~2hrs) and spending 3 days there. Make sure you allow at least a full day in Bath without any traveling. cambridge, Oxford and winchester are good day trips from London. Salisbury is going to take you a whole day from Bath. COnsider whether its worth it....

Return to Europe Travel