What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Weight!!!

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 11th, 2010
So so far this trip i'm losing weight like crazy. i've been too busy to eat. Taking my vitamins though. Although I'm going to have to buy smaller pants if this keeps up.
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing?-it's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”~Kerouac

lilycheese

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 12th, 2010
lose weight for me,cuz I plan a tight budget for my trip,cannt eat too much and walk,so no weight gain.However,some people have a big budget and eat all local delicious food,and spend money for walking less,this can lead to increase weight

purplepixie

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 13th, 2010
I didn't lose or gain any weight on my last trip, 5 months in C America, but I did quite quickly drop 15 lbs when I got back - stopping drinking so much, less snack food and a very active job back home! I think it was mostly the Salva Vidas keeping those 15 lbs on :oops:

karen121

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 8th, 2010
Eating out has to be one of the best parts of traveling from greasy street vendors to nice local restaurants. I usually gain weight on holidays (except when the money runs out!) but its worth it, you can always be diciplined when you go back home.

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2010
Did any of those who lost 20-30 pounds start off a little big?

I definitely stayed at or put on som as I love to eat (and luckily for me, I don't have a tight food budget)

But losing 30 pounds is quite extreme...did you all starve? :\

tvl2

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 6th, 2010
Food for thought. :D

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2010
Gained 3 lbs over 6 weeks in Australia eating various Natural Confectionary Company fruit snacks... oh yeah, and Tim Tams.

Lost 2 lbs over 10 days in Italy.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Wiskee

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 9th, 2010
I think I've gained 5-10lbs or so. Love to try local food...
Last edited by Wiskee on February 3rd, 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly bakpakaddict

Jacob G. Norlund

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2010
Charissa wrote:Just a random question for all you fellow travelers, specifically the RTWers:

Do you find you gain weight on long trips, or lose weight???? O_o

Just curious :)

~Charissa

Lose!

I lost around 20 pounds in Costa Rica...in two weeks. And I wasn't exactly fasting, either. However, I did suffer from severe sunburn mid-trip. I gained it back and more pretty quickly upon coming home.

Lost around 30 pounds in Morocco and Spain in 2008, in less than a month's time...went from about 235 to 205. People were amazed and could barely recognize me. I went from "fat" to "somewhat chubby" on that trip. Never really gained it back...

Not really a "vacation", but during a research internship in Florida in 2009 I lost a good amount of weight, to the point where 36 rather than 38 inch waist jeans were my preferred size. I still maintain about the weight when I came back from Florida, although a chronic illness was discovered a short time later (not related to any previous weight loss), which has kept the weight off.
HQ Coordinates: 46.76n, 92.32w

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 11th, 2010
I lost 20 pounds once in Spain, but then, I WAS walking the Camino Santiago, 5-8 hours a day with a full backpack, and I packed about 30 extra pounds over my ideal weight at the time. Everyone said I looked great after that. Then came moms house with all the sugary foods and cheese, fatty foods galor, and poof +20 pounds in 2 months.

Usually I keep the same weight but get fitter. I haven't had to buy new clothes in either directin when I travel, usually. One exception might be the month in Taman Negara where I lived on fried noodles malaysian style. Wow! sugar syrup of some kind, beef, chile peppers, all kinds of spices and vegetables all fried up probably in palm oil. Darn good, and fattening if I sat around all day, like I did.

Being older, I have to do some serious exercise to drop weight nowadays, because my metabolism slows down rapidly when my food intake falls.

marrabel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 21st, 2011
I think I lose my weight if I travel for a long time. The reason of that is because I do not consume the right food and the enough quantity of it. As I am so busy visiting different places, sometimes I even forget about eating. I think that I am involved in walking and seeing the great places of interest more.

Ksiu

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 1st, 2011
As for me, I put on my weight because I like tasting all the dishes when I visit different countries in order to tell about the cuisine of the countries to my friends and in order to admit something special for me to cook at home. :D

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 1st, 2011
Hubby and I both lost weight - he about 7kg/15lb, me 12kg/26.5lb. That was over 15 months. Neither of us were overweight to start with (well, I'm 5 foot 6 and ended up weighing 56kg/123lb - so even at 68kg/150lb I was not enormous - but I was very spritely when lighter!)

For both of us it was a matter of exercising more (we routinely walked at least 10km/6miles a day) and eating less. No seconds, very little snacking.
Hubby kept cycling to work each day when we returned home, but still put back what he'd lost. I did very little exercise and piled it all back on in under a year, but once I woke up to that I started exercising religiously again, making it a real priority, even if it meant saying NO to doing other stuff and I'm losing again. I intend to be back at my return-from-trip-weight at the end of the year!

DavidAM

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 2nd, 2011
When I went to Scotland back in '07 I didn't think I lost or gained any weight. But when I got back people told me I looked thinner. If I remember correctly my diet out there consisted of fast food, fish and chips, and just straight up junk. But there was a lot of walking...

Since '07, I've become Veg and I've been one for almost 2 years now. Lost 15 pounds about 4 months into the Veg and maintained that until about May where I lost 20 after a breakup. Then I went to Hawaii where I WWOOFed and so I stayed in a cabin on the farm where we had pantries of tea, grains, legumes, pastas, herbs & spices, nuts and seeds, nut butters, milks... it was just fully loaded. We even got free-range organic eggs to eat from the chickens on the farm as well as the produce from the garden all for 5 hours of work, 5 days a week.

My diet consisted mainly of a banana or two in the morning with cereal, or an egg scramble with a bunch of greens. I usually had two lunches and then dinner was usually a yes or no decision based on how I felt after the late second lunch. All I drank was water except when I ate out, I had a root beer or two. Eating out didn't happen too often except for a few Thai places or a cafe.

That whole trip was actually weird. At first I thought I was gaining weight. My metabolism was really slow and I didn't use the bathroom for almost a week upon landing. My pants felt like they were getting tighter and I felt like I had a gut, but by the end of the trip I realized that I was just bloated the whole time. When we got to Kauai, after the WWOOF adventure, my diet shifted instantly to eating almost nothing. I was broke by that point since it was the end of the week and going shopping was infrequent since we were so far from town without a car.

My girlfriend at the time was obsessed with the fact that she might actually be gaining weight and started running and hiking more often as the trip progressed. We rode bike often in Kauai and we hiked, walked, and ran a lot. Not to mention all the swimming and sweating we did while we were there. By the time I got home, everyone said I looked thinner. When I weighed myself, I think I actually lost 5lbs. Been maintaining that since. Now I'm just trying to get fit with Yoga and my Vibram Five Fingers. HA!
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."

Sea of Derailments - http://davidamis.wordpress.com
DavidAM Bandcamp - http://davidam.bandcamp.com

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2011
When am traveling steadily I loose a bit due to a lot of walking but when I take a break put it back on due to sampling the local brews. :)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Travel