Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

What are some "good" second jobs?

Gunn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 11th, 2008
Hey all,

This is my first post (yay!) to BnA. I'm going to introduce myself next over in the other forum but I figured I'd get your thoughts on something that I've been thinking about for a while now.

I have a full-time gig that pays the bills and a little extra for the savings account every month. Next month I'll be starting a part-time, distance MA degree through the University of Leicester. Since I don't plan on taking out loans for tuition, almost all of my extra savings every month will be going towards this degree.

In an effort to keep saving for future travels, etc. I've been mulling over the idea of getting a second job.

My question is, do you have suggestions/ideas for good second jobs? I'm looking for something that's maybe 2-3 evenings per week (I'd really like to avoid working weekends), and flexible (i.e. it'd be OK to take some days off). The pay doesn't have to be outstanding--I'm looking to bring in maybe 400-500 extra per month.

I remember hearing about a job that involves scanning inventory in places like Wal-Mart where you can basically set your own hours. I've also considered waiting/bartending but I don't know how flexible most bars are and I can definitely foresee working weekends.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Gunn
"Do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am-- a reluctant enthusiast...a part time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it is still there. So go out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains, and bag the peaks.... and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over your enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box... I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." -Edward Abbey

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2008
Welcome to the Boards! Smile

What kinds of skills do you have? Could you teach a class at a community center, such as jewelry making or dog training or water color painting? Often times, community centers are looking to expand their offerings for fun classes and are open to someone approaching them with what they would like to teach. You could set the day, time, and hours as well as your rate of pay to a point.

Good luck -- a little side job can often make the difference between endless nights at home with only Netflix to look forward to or some stellar road trips.

Callilucy

Waitin' For The Lentil Loaf

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2008
Hmm, that community center thing is an interesting idea...

My favorite second job was working for my local pet supply store. I'd had experience in vet clinics and training so I was well versed on their products and the commonly asked questions. I became friends with them and then they actually asked me if I wanted to pick up some extra hours there. They were always very accommodating if I didn't want to work due to a weekend trip or what not.

My suggestion is making friends with your local small business owners at your favorite stores- it can work out really well and you're helping to support local businesses and networking in a way you might not have thought of. I ended up finding a great place to board my dog while I'm out of town (I'm exceptionally picky about that).
I don't want to be fearless, I want to be brave.

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 13th, 2008
I'd agree with AJV's query as to what skills do you have? What are your hobbies? What can you do on the side?
Are you a musician? If so, you can teach a few lessons, teach a class, pick up some extra gigs.
Are you good at fixing stuff? TONS of opp's for that.
Can you do any kind of computer/IT work?

Another thought is what kind of workplace would have perk's or bene's that would be of use to you? Or, what has products/services that you could really use an employee discount on? Or, what part-time/side work in the area offers bene's that you really need? (example, a lot of people take part time gigs at Starbucks since in order to recruit good part-timers they offer good bene's for them).

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

lovemyluggage

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2008
There are a zillion "second jobs" out there. My favorite was working for the university's auditorium--see lots of shows, get PAID to do so... but it was bad pay. In fact, I took a 3rd job while I was doing that, tutoring for a local reading center. And that is good money. In fact, if you are vaguely inclined in the educational direction, tutoring can be a good and easy way to earn some extra cash. I tutored special needs kids in rural Michigan, but there is much better money in test prep. So maybe check that out.

Right now I edit university papers for $20/hour. I used to do it for free, but I was spending WAY too much time reading and correcting utter crap papers, so I started charging. I am thinking about getting a job at a bokstore, but that's not for money so much as it's for a discount.

Tracy Ann

Gotta love the GB

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2008
I have discovered gold in proctoring, tutoring, editing etc. Especially proctoring, they basically pay you to sit there and do your homework, and they tend to pay WELL. Tutoring can pay more (up to $70/hr in my area!!!), but after a day at the high school I don't have the patience for whiney kids and parents Smile

I would contact your local uni/high schools for info on proctoring SAT/LSAT etc. Try the adult ed or community ed programs too, some local SAT prep courses need proctors for practice test nights.

I used to make good money waitressing/bartending too, the downside to doing that as a second job is lack of sleep. Also, a lot of places have the evening shift starting at 4-4:30 so it's difficult to find one you can do after a 9-5 gig.

lovemyluggage

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2008
Tracy Ann, I used to proctor, too!

I did the Bar Exam for the state of Michigan. V. good money (and the State Bar pays your hotel bill, too) for v. little work--law students get so EDGY when you walk up and down the aisles!

A good job if you can get it. But usually you already have to work for a law firm. In which case the money probably isn't all that good.

lanchutt

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2008
I have an awesome job which you may be able to apply for...

http://www.63336.com/vacancies.htm

It is completely flexible and I earn about £500 a month on average on top of my normal job. All you need is a laptop!

cocacola

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2008
Pity this applies only to these 5 countries.
Got some advice for me in Europe ?

Littlemustard

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2008
Delivering Pizzas.

My boyfriend picked this up as a 2nd job to save and at first i was pretty hesitant but he makes like $20/hr and they give him a car to use! It's really picking up now that it's vacation time and more people are ordering. Something to check out if you can find a place that lets you use their vehicles.

Littlemustard

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2008

Also, is this for real?

lanchutt

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2008
Yeah it is for real! I paid for a flight to Oz and a week in Hong Kong so far as well as my laptop. It is a great second job, although some people do it as a full-time job and make about £25k a year.

It is also a useful service if you are traveling..

http://www.63336.com/customerstories/cs_0801.htm?news=2401

Littlemustard

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2008
Ok, I applied for that one - it sounds interesting. I'm waiting to get the test back. Any tips?

Thanks!

katied

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 30th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by lanchutt:
I have an awesome job which you may be able to apply for...

It is completely flexible and I earn about £500 a month on average on top of my normal job. All you need is a laptop!

don't know why they left out Canada! ...strange...

Brambles24601

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by Gunn:
I remember hearing about a job that involves scanning inventory in places like Wal-Mart where you can basically set your own hours.

I have worked for the largest inventory service in the world. I will tell you that I felt very deceived after starting there: you have to give the availability hours and if these are not diverse you will not get very many hours. The work is not regular at all. There is the high season where you will be asked to work long hours and there are months when you might only get five hours. They normally pay $9/hour. They will tell you that their are bonuses based on "performance" but these do not materialize very quickly if at all. You will have to drive your own car long distance to the sites and arrive early to find the store and set up equipment. Then only to be on the clock for 3 hours. This means the $27 you should get for 3 hours becomes $19 after gas and you have spent a total of 5 hours (driving a long distance to the site, waiting to begin, cleaning-up...) of your time. So thats like $3.50 an hour after tax.

Anyhow, it can be a very good job if you are only working part-time otherwise and this is the second house-hold income, that is not depended upon. Having your own car is pretty much a must, unless you're in a city with super transportation, because of the strange hours in far-flung locations.

The system at other inventory companies may be different, but I would exercise caution taking up this kind of job.

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel