Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

What are you reading now?

OregonDuck541

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 20th, 2010
Reading Graham Greene's "The Power and the Glory"

Great book about a disgraced priest living in Mexico during the Anti-Catholic era.

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2010
OregonDuck541 wrote:Reading Graham Greene's "The Power and the Glory"

Great book about a disgraced priest living in Mexico during the Anti-Catholic era.

I love all things Graham Greene. Even his biography of Lord Rochester, The Quiet American is a tight read, too. I'm just finishing up Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins before moving on to The Power and the Glory, too!

smccormick

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2010
I randomly picked up Toujours Provence by Peter Mayle at a used book store, and it was pretty good. I then found his more popular A Year in Provence on sale at Borders. It has a couple of vivid chapters. Can't wait to go to Provence this summer!
“Humor…sets the thinking machinery in motion.” -Mark Twain
http://ummmmheyyyy.wordpress.com/

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 2nd, 2010
I'm preparing for a summer spent at the library and am looking for off-beat suggestions.

I just started 'Special Topics in Calamity Physics' and am hooked -- not sure how I will be able to grade all of the papers that need eyeballing, finish writing my end of the year finals and polish off this book in a timely way, but it is so tasty that it makes me want to give it a good go.

How about y'all? Give up the goods! :banana:

Bellbird

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 10th, 2010
The Stranger by Albert Camus. It seems to be "the" book to read in Absurdism. I'm quite enjoying it. Very laconic.
MP3 Walking Tours: Sydney Tours

Darcy Perkins

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 23rd, 2010
I'm reading "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star" by Paul Theroux.

Timmie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 23rd, 2010
I'm about halfway through "What is to be done" by Nikolai Chernyshevsky. A discursive but still entertaining Victorian novel. I seem drawn to Russian authors.
"Whatever you can or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". Goethe

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 4th, 2010
I'm going through Kurt Vonnegut novels like cheap tequila shots with approximately the same effect on my brain.

Awesome. Pure awesome. I just wonder when the hangover will hit?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing?-it's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”~Kerouac

travelgirltiff

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 6th, 2010
when i read vonnegut, i always feel like im trippin. his mind was very strange, yet entertaining. currently reading "possible side effects" by augusten burroughs. love him. very cheeky, gritty, honest, funny.
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

Maestra LE

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 6th, 2010
I had been steadfastly refusing to read Eat, Pray, Love, but I finally caved and started reading it today. I'm actually quite enjoying it so far.

AndrewN

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2011
I'm re-reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac currently; only domestic travel, but remains fairly high-energy throughout.

wordygirlj

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2011
Just bought all these & am about to dive in--can't decide where to start!

In Motion by Tony Hiss
In A Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
A Week At The Airport by Alain de Botton
Down & Delirious in Mexico City by Daniel Hernandez
El Monstruo: Dread and Redemption in Mexico City by John Ross

So excited for all these travel books! Sadly I'm too broke to actually go anywhere at the moment...

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2011
I'm reading Jorge Luis Borges's On Argentina, a collection of his earlier essays, stories, and poems -- most of which he wanted to be destroyed. Who knew that Borges was a gangster wannabe in his twenties?

rhythm_blues

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2011
This is one is a history book, but it's a travel book as well. It's called The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. It's about the Great Migration of African-Americans from the South to the North and West from 1915 to 1970. She chose 3 people to highlight, who followed different migration routes at different points during that era, and intersperses their stories with bigger picture trends and statistics. It is a compelling book; it's factual but it reads like a novel.

HooleyHoop

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 3rd, 2011
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga.

Not a travel book per se but gives a fascinating insight into Indian life albeit with a grander plot than normal people woudl experience.

PreviousNext

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies