Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

What are you reading now?

Maestra LE

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 11th, 2011
I've been on a bit of a historical fiction kick lately. Currently reading To Defy A King by Elizabeth Chadwick. It's set in England in the early 1200's, and is about Mahelt Marshal and Hugh Bigod. I bought my first ever Elizabeth Chadwick book (The Marsh King's Daughter) in a bookstore in Glasgow in 2009, and have been hooked on her writing ever since, which is unfortunate because so few of her books are in print in the US. My first order of business upon arriving in London back in January was to go to Foyles and buy a bunch of her books that aren't available at home!

Other recent reads include The Sixth Wife by Jean Plaidy, The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton, and A Brief History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka.
Last edited by Maestra LE on April 24th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2011
I'm reading Théophile Gautier's Captain Fracasse, written around the same time as The Three Musketeers and very similar -- in exactly the same way. This would be a fun travel read. Available for free or cheap on e-readers.

rhythm_blues

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 25th, 2011
Moveable Feast, a collection of essays about food and travel produced by Lonely Planet. (Sorry to cite a competitor on the Bootsnall website, but it's a good book.)

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2011
Just finished The Day After Roswell by Col. Philip J. Corso (Ret.) that I picked up at the UFO Museum in Roswell during my Route 66 bucket list road trip.

Rereading my Lonely Planet southeast asia on a shoestring in preparation for my trip to Cambodia for some TEFL teaching.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2011
I just finished Nicholas Shakespeare's biography of Bruce Chatwin. Having read In Patagonia and The Songlines, as well as a couple of his novels, I really miss that there doesn't seem to be anyone out there of his caliber.

Come to think of it, where is the next Patrick Leigh Fermor, the next Paul Theroux, the next Robert Byron? So much travel literature now seems to be nauseating stuff about living like a prince in Provence or Tuscany.

Chatwin was a strange dude (on many counts), among which was his horror of being considered a travel writer -- possibly because he fictionalized so many of his sources -- but what the hell: His fictions are more interesting than most other writers' verifiable truths.

Maestra LE

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2011
The historical fiction kick continues. I just finished The White Queen by Philippa Gregory, and am now reading The Red Queen. These are books about Elizabeth Woodville and Margaret Beaufort, set in England during the Wars of the Roses.

Timmie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2011
Just finished Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham, and working on Man in the Modern Age, by Karl Jaspers
"Whatever you can or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". Goethe

Previous

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies