Eire is more than just Guinness, green hills and redheads... Come talk about what makes Ireland so special.

What can we do in 5.5 days?!

Pbuckmom

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: ireland, dublin, dingle
  • Added on: January 5th, 2011
My sister (expat living in Sweden) and I are meeting in Ireland next month (February). We are flying in and out of Dublin and not including travel days, we will have roughly 5.5 days to tour around Ireland. We are renting a car to travel at our leisure. We are trying to narrow down things/places that interest us. Places we are interested in are: Dublin (of course), Galway, Cliffs of Moher, Dingle Peninsula, Glendalough (maybe even a quick pint in Fitzgerald's in Avoca!). I know that this is a lot, so any advice on what to hit and/or miss is appreciated. Also, input on best way to organize destinations is welcome. (For example, leave Dublin and travel counterclockwise and visit X, Y and Z.). Hoping to end with a day or two in Dublin City (Dun Laoghaire) and take the DART in to the city.

Maestra LE

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2011
What I would do in your shoes:

Immediately hit the road after landing in Dublin and travel clockwise, visiting Glendalough, the Dingle Peninsula, the Cliffs of Moher, and Galway in that order, then cut cross-country to get back to Dublin and visit it at the end. If I'm not mistaken, this route will allow you to hit the Burren in addition to the Cliffs on the way from Dingle to Galway. Alternatively, the Cliffs and the Burren are easily done in a day-trip from Galway. The reason I would put Dublin at the end is because the rest of the places you guys want to go are really top-notch places, and if you get the urge to stay longer at any one of them, best to short-change Dublin. In any event, do not allot more than 2 days to Dublin.

Pbuckmom

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

That is exactly the input I was looking for...thank so much for the advice. Any packing tips? :D

Maestra LE

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

You're welcome! :D Pack warm, waterproof clothes, and good walking shoes for Dublin. Maybe throw in a short-sleeved shirt, just in case you get lucky and the temperature is mild (if not, you can just use it as an extra layer). The terrain in the area around the Cliffs of Moher can be quite hilly and rocky, so if you think you'd like to go on any countryside walks, pack appropriate footwear.

Have a great time on your trip! :D

blueinsure

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 10th, 2011
Make a list of all place you want to visit so that you don't waste time in discussion when you have reached there. List the delicious item that you would eat so that you can always remember the taste.

karen121

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

You've picked some great places to visit but it could be a bit tight especially because it will be getting dark around 5 o'clock in February. I agree with the other poster about leaving Dublin till last and starting by going to Wicklow (Glendalough etc there is lots to see there.)

I would go straight to Galway and Clare then and leave out the Dingle Peninsula if you are short on time. Not because it isn't well worth seeing but because its more out of the way than the rest of your itinerary and both Galway and Clare have beautiful coastlines that would make up for missing out on it.

There is a list of scenic drives here that might be of interest http://www.goireland.com/ireland/scenic-drives-in-ireland-page1.htm

http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta is a good website for general journey planning and updates and advice on traffic and roadworks.

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I second the Burren!
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

Landire

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 12th, 2011
I have to agree with everyone so far. Dublin is a lovely city with some very fascinating things that people often overlook. Even so I wouldn't give Dublin more than two days of your time. It really is a small city, despite its population. If you're planning on staying in Dun Laoghaire I would recommend walking through the town down the main street. Beyond that though its an older retirement town and not really worth spending any time in. If you're looking for somewhere beautiful outside of the city center I recommend you take the DART to Howth. Its a lovely little fishing village just north of the city and one of my favorite places to spend a couple of hours away from the city without leaving the Dublin transportation region. I also recommend that while you're in Dublin leave the car behind. The public transportation here is amazing.
Visit my blog: The travel blog

Return to Ireland Travel