Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

What cities are cheapest to fly in/out of?

houseblend

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: cheap flights
  • Added on: May 20th, 2006
I'm starting to research flights and since we are very flexible, I'm trying to find which cities are the cheapest to fly out of in the U.S. as well as which European cities are cheapest to fly into.

U.S. top choices are:
DFW
Chicago O'Hare
Boston
JFK

International top choices are:
Munich
Paris
Rome
Zurich
(anywhere except England and Irelend are options, since we will be traveling with dog) Any of these cities (and possibly even more) would be options and it is a bit exhausting trying to sidestep all the choices. Non-stop flight is a must (again because of our dog).

Any clues about which cities will automatically be a bit cheaper?

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

I would bet that flying ORD-CDG would be the cheapest.
Someone will, no doubt, be along in a moment to tell me that I am full of hooey.

Capt Steve

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

You are full of hooey.

But that's unrelated to your recommendation, just a pervasive quality. :D

For something like this it may be beneficial to consult a travel agent. Their computers are able to research these kinds of things easier/better than is possible via a PC and Travelocity, etc. Perhaps go so far as to consult two independent agents. The best deals aren't always via the internet. But be sure to check the internet first, for reference, just don't discount agents.

Some sites, Travelocity, for example, let you search via flexible dates - say "May through July" - or whatever your timeframe is. Then just start plugging in city pairs to get prices. There really is no rhyme or reason.

My intution would say cheaper fares are available via bigger cities JFK-CDG, JFK-AMS, JFK-FRA.

ivybell

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Yes, bigger cities. Like Capt. Steve mentioned, Frankfurt is often cheaper, but go to the travel agent.

Brambles24601

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2006
LTU is great with pets. They pretty much are the cheapest option of a flight from the US to conteintal Europe. They fly from from JFK, Orland, and Ft. Meyers to Dusseldorf. It should be around $550 a peron rt inc. taxes, they do also sell connecting flights on to other airports in Europe and the world.

Otherwise Condor also offers some dirt-cheap fares.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2006
Travelzoo.com has some good last minute flights and packages.

I got a full paris trip for 4 days for 499, including flight and hotel. All told it was less than my second flight, which only included a return ticket.

Beware the hotels they offer you on the Gate 1 discounters. They're usually in the suburbs of paris. Not a great place.

Could be Better to grab the cheap flight and find a nice hostel in the center.

Other than that, i usually use internet for reference, then see an agent once I have my destination worked out. This time I didn't, because British Air was having a sale to Paris.

I will throw away the other half of the ticket, of course.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

houseblend

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2006
Thanks everyone.

Brambles - Have you flown a pet on LTU? I checked them out and they have some great deals on flights from JFK to Dusseldorf. So far they seem to be much more laid back about taking the dog than American Airlines, which is a huge help! I never would have thought of them, so thanks!

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 31st, 2006
Hey, houseblend - if you'd like to chat with one of our ticket agents, they'd be happy to run through some options with you. Just call 888.379.9411.
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

Brambles24601

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2006
I have never taken LTU yet at all, but, I have heard from Germans that it is great for pets (at least in comparison).

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

The rumors of LTU being in any way inexpensive are sadly unfounded. Those days are long gone.

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by static:
The rumors of LTU being in any way inexpensive are sadly unfounded. Those days are long gone.

I flew LTU one-way from Dusseldorf to NYC for 220 Euro with tax. The service was not exceptional (ie: pay for headphones) but I could not complain about the price at all.

I am pretty sure that LTU's main hub is Dusseldorf, so you will prob get the best prices if you fly in/out of there.

houseblend

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Well, we decided to go with LTU. The U.S.-based airlines seem to be so strict about rules regarding the dog and American Airlines was going to charge us $1400 for her! Eek LTU, on the other hand, will charge max of $125 for her, but nothing if she'll pass as checked baggage. Their fares weren't cheap, but they certainly weren't expensive either. And the nice thing is that we can get a one-way ticket with no penalty, which is helpful since we have no clue when we'll come back.

So, again, thanks all! Tickets abroad are definitely not cheap right now. The good news is, maybe all the toursity places will be a bit less crowded. Razz

WT

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2006
quote:
we can get a one-way ticket with no penalty

Hmmm,there might be a penalty.I have heard from others that having a one way ticket can cause big problems because the authorities will not let you in with just a one way ticket unless you are citizens.So you might want to check that out if you haven't so far.I heard so many of the stories from friends that went last year that we ended buying round trip tickets even tho we will just turn the return in when we get there.We will buy one way when we return in a few years,but that won't be a problem since we are American citizens but it would be a problem for Europeans coming here (they also have to have a round trip ticket).

When are you leaving? Glad to see your nice blog up!
http://www.soultravelers3.com

I am always doing that
which I can not do,
in order that
I may learn how to do it.
PABLO PICASSO

houseblend

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2006
Hi WT! Yeah, I was wondering about the issue of authorities and having a one-way. I'll have to research that more. The airline doesn't charge more for going one-way, but I would hate to get turned back because of it. Hope to see you get a blog up soon, too! Wink

Return to Europe Travel