How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

What do I do?

AnaxJunius

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 9th, 2010
I'm fascinated by the lifestyles I've read about on these travel forums. I want it!
I'm in the process of applying for colleges right now, but am considering taking a gap year.. But I would LOVE to be able to travel periodically for the rest of my life!
What kind of job do these people that I read about have? How do they keep their jobs taking months off to travel?
Simply, how do you do it!?

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 10th, 2010
Lots of options. Many people find a way to work via the web, so they can work independently anywhere in the world. Others find jobs that require travel. I worked on cruise ships for 3 years, now I am about to begin a 12 month work holiday in Australia. After that I will get a seasonal job in Alaska.

Other travelers work very hard at one job for a couple years or more and save as much as they can, then go travel for a year or longer. Some have employers that hire them after they get back, others move on to new jobs or new lifestyles.

There is no universal answer. just find a way to travel that works for you. If you're about to go to college why not study a career that requires a traveling lifestyle. International business or something.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

midlifetravel

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 10th, 2010
I felt like you did before I went to uni - that was 30 years ago. I think I finally achieved what you are talking about. If I had known then what I know now I would:
- take the trip and make sure you really want to travel some people change their mind
- skip the degree - travel isn't compatible with a career - if you stop kidding yourself on that one sooner rather than later.
- work out how to make money on your terms - trades can be good for this the type that are always in demand (hairdressing, mechanic ) but I my route has been to develop passive income websites - its not get rich quick - but you can help yourself to succeed faster by moving to a cheaper country - on what I earn now I am only on an average wage in NZ but would live like a king in most of Asia ( my income figures are here Its taken me 3 years to get to this level - its not a get rich quick scheme - but it does work
- oh and skip the whole family /kids thing - I have a partner which makes things easier but still slows me down travelling cause he still has a job (hopefully for not much longer) kids are a financial disaster - avoid like the plague :-)

Lis
Travel for the Over 30's

Paul79UF

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 26th, 2010
The simplest answer - start building websites.

What are you passionate about?

Cameras? - blog about them, review them

Cars? - go to events, blog about new models

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit