This is our archive of other ways to travel that perhaps aren't as active as our other forums.

What do we really think about Carbon Offsets for flights?

greenairclub

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 13th, 2009
Hi

Airlines around the world are jumping on the "green" bandwagon with carbon offset programs.

And don't get me wrong - we like it - and we're helping them!:)

But I'd really like to know what members REALLY think about carbon offset programs - the whole idea or even your own experiences of offsetting your flights.

Let us know here or we've got a survey at http://www.GreenAirClub.com(with prizes!!) if you'd like to share your opinions with us.

So what's the general view?
Dennis McM

Bideshi

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2009
Well, I have a hard time believing that paying a little extra money actually reduces a carbon footprint. The plane still flies, although my wallet is a bit lighter... so maybe we DO save some fuel! :D

But with that being said, I always choose to offset. I think that without indicators from the general public, like the willingness to pay more to support environmental progress, businesses have no reason to go out on a limb and innovate. By paying to offset my flight's carbon, I'm trying to send a message to the business world that there IS support for pursuing alternative energy and environmentally responsible technology.

wallop

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 2nd, 2009
I'm also dubious. Of course it's nice to plants trees etc, but the bottom line is that the plane is still flying and using fuel. Still, I guess it's better than nothing!

junglebook

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 21st, 2009
I recommend you have a look at http://www.volunteerlatinamericablog.com

This pretty much covers everything you need to know about carbon offsets.

;)

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2010
Carbon offsets is a tax that in theory, helps carbon neutral and less carbon intensive sources thrive. That's it. UNtil the governments actually work to lower the production of carbon in making energy and using energy, nothing is going to change.

Governments are beholden to Big Oil. They won't do too much too fast. So they put on taxes so they can say they're doing something. If it makes more eco-conscious sources more feasible because regular energy prices are raised, I'm all for it.

I´m also all for 4 dollars a gallon gasoline by a federal gasoline tax as well, the money going to subsidize green energy inputs. Cars in Europe are 50% more efficient for the same transport ability. I wonder why? Could it be that there is a gasoline tax that makes gas cost 6 dollars a gallon, and people buy smaller more efficient vehicles, eh?
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Return to Other Ways to Go