Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

What do you carry your things around in

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 25th, 2010
I left for an indefinite trip to Africa just over 7 months ago and the day before I left I completely changed my luggage. I came here knowing I would settle down for several months at a time, and although I originally thought Ghana I ended up in Mali (LOVE it!).

I took 2 6 month trips to Africa (East & North) before and packed extremely lighter than other people I met. I had an REI backpack that was about 3000 cubic inches. It was perfect if you only need a small sleeping bag and clothes you can wash weekly. On this trip I took a mixture. I bought a really great Osprey wheeled duffel that had a baby backpack attached. This is GREAT because it has huge rubber wheels that are really good even in the shitty backstreets of Bamako plus the small daybag has been a lifesaver. I brought a LOT more stuff than my other trips (sometimes I regret how much clothes I included) so I also took a big Kelty Redwing 3100 pack.

I was super happy with what I brought. I am heading to Europe for a couple weeks in September and plan just to bring the Kelty but the big duffel is good for storage and if I have to move around which I did a lot of my first couple months.

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2010
Backpack or wheeled luggage, I guess it is down to can you carry the weight of a pack on your shoulders. Do you have the strength and energy to carry the weight, at my age the answer is no. I used a 4 wheel case on our 12 months round the world trip and managed the stairs when I had too and the cobbles but mostly just pushed the box around. Having to carry wieght on my shoulders would have been a nightmare for me, I tried my husbands pack and no thank you.
Jean

PDXnative

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 12th, 2010
Wheeled duffelbag and a daypack.
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW

kettricken

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2010
I have a rucksack and a day pack. 17 months ago I left home with a 55-60L rucksack, but have whittled my gear down to a smaller bag, and now carry a 35L pack - it makes a huge difference!

Canuck Girl

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 16th, 2010
I use a 62L Backpack when I travel. It's the old standard with no wheels etc. I just like the regular packs better. During the day I use a shoulder bag I bought in China. It's deep as hell (my entire arm fits inside) and can be worn across like a sling pack- but it holds more.
Solo Traveler. Spunky Woman. A World of Misadventure. I'm currently traveling through Thailand, Mongolia and Northwestern China. Follow my adventures on my blog Spunky Girl Monologues, or 'Like' me on Facebook

Previous

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel