Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

What is the coolest place you ever traveled for work?

Capt Steve

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 20th, 2006
Where my job has taken me:

Besides over a fair portion of the US and to Hawaii; to Puerto Rico, St Maarten, Barbados, Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Panama, Brazil, Argentina, Iceland, Norway, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Israel, Italy (Sicily mostly), also two air shows in St Louis, one in Tennessee, two airshows in London... Have also spent a lot of time over Bosnia, and along the coast of Croatia.

Yes, this was all in connection with being a Navy pilot. Here's a generic picture of my office - a bit dated, but a cool photo.

Keppie

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 27th, 2006
Umm.... Office Max?
------------------------------------------
"He who jumps into the void owes no explanation to those who stand and watch."
-Jean Luc Godard

cherie

Librarian Gone Wild

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 28th, 2006
I'm a librarian. One day when I get a better job, they'll send me to ALA meetings Smile but right now, they won't pay for even that--and that would only be in the USA. Very few librarians get to travel as part of their job....

Sometimes, I get to go to the other office building! Oooooh!
www.worldofcherie.blogspot.com

Fallenleafs

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 31st, 2006
When I worked for this big construction company I once got to travel to my bosses island in Killarney Canada. My boss was ultra wealthy. It was a 12 hour drive by car then another hour by boat to get there. It was so nice and peaceful up there. But then reality set in. We were brought there to put a new roof on my bosses cabin and install new windows. I ended up burning brush, cleaning, raking, roofing, painting, and generally being the grunt as I was the youngest of the crew. It turned into 12-13 hour workdays for a week. But it was an awesome paid vacation and I did get in some good pike fishing.

Papaya

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 1st, 2006
I'm borrowing this story from a friend:

She got to go to Monaco for work, where she had her own apartment and car, and saw Princess Stephanie every morning walking her dog.

RalphTheWonderLlama

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2006
About 5-6 years ago i worked for an internet software company. They thought it would be a great idea to get everyone from the various offices (London, Holland (can't remember place name sorry), Edinburgh) together for a big happy team-building exercise of the sort beloved of whalesong-inspired marketing types. This despite the fact that the London contingent, who were the majority, were well known to the HR people as a bunch of drunken, albeit hardworking and clever, maniacs.

Any road up, off we all went to Vienna for four (count 'em) days in a swanky hotel, to be team-built and have lots of tech talks and stuff. So obviously we all got hammered for four days straight. By the second morning they were sending HR patrols out to the worst culprits' rooms to make sure they got up. It was fun, if painful. Cost thema bloody fortune. I think the HR types learned more than we did - there never was another jolly quite like that...

...except for two years later when they thought it would be safe to get us all together for two days on one of those 'management retreat' style places in the middle of nowhere. Result: an over-competitive football match between the UK and Dutch offices (3-1 to the UK since you ask), an, erm, enthusiastic night in the bar involving some rather odd behaviour on the bus in the foyer (I kid you not) and ending up at 3 in the morning with the MD and his sidekick joining 15 of us for a spliff at an after-curfew party in someone's room.

Ah, those were the days...
A Møøse once bit my sister ...

Seussin

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 6th, 2006
Wow! Ralphthewonderllama good on ya. The most exciting place I got to go was down the street for lunch - so sad.
"The only way to define your limits is by going beyond them." - Arthur Clarke

Highcountry

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2006
Believe it or not...

Burlington, Vermont!

Loved it there! Big Grin
"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
President John F. Kennedy

"Some see things as they are and ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and say, 'Why not?'" Robert F. Kennedy

Kathrin

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 9th, 2006
I once had to go to a small village church in the Black Forest, in a big silver Mercedes with chauffeur.

That car was noch chosen because of me, though.
On the back seat of this Mercedes we had a plain wooden box.
The contents of this box were worth about half a million Euros: a gothic reliquary, a splendid life-size golden head.
The golden head contains the real skull of a saint who had been murdered in the 7th century. (He would never have imagined being driven around in a Mercedes, I guess.)

The reliquary, a masterpiece of medieval goldsmith's work, had been in an exhibition and was now transported back "home".

Benji

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2006
Coolest place: Bratislava, SK - to visit Slovak National Television to try out their TV scheduling software as reconaissance for the company I work for.

Best Place: Cannes Baby! The annual TV festival there is the ideal opportunity to drink hard on the company plastic during the evenings and schmooze over new TV shows during the day Smile
Santiago, Chile on 14th July and no idea where to go next!??!

Lost76

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 27th, 2006
Burkina Faso and Togo - coolest because they are places I dont think I would have gone to on holiday otherwise...

Canadianbackpackinggirl

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2006
Whistler, BC.

dennisf

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Just remembered a couple of other places my company sent me that were pretty cool ... didn't think of them in my earlier post since they were pretty close to home so I kind of took them for granted.

1) After the completion of a very large project, the leadership offered everyone a weekend in New York City and we could bring our families, too (OK some of you may not consider that a benefit :-). I ended up going with just my 12 year old son and had one of the greates weekends of my life. We stayed in mid-town Manhatten at a great hotel. On Friday night we saw the Christmas Show at Raido City Music Hall and then went to Sardi's for desert. Saturday morning we had to listen to a couple of motivational speakers so the company could technically call it a work day. One was quite boring but the other really was very funny and entertaining. Afternoon was on our own and then ice skating in Central Part Saturday evening. The company leased out a tent and served appetizers and desserts all evening. It was the most magical evening ... a gentle snowfall, Christmas music piped in, and the New York sky-line lit up all around us. It would have been perfect if I didn't keep falling on my butt :-) ... always was a lousy ice skater! My son and I would have snowball fights everywhere we went ... through Central park, on Broadway - just a perfect weekend. The company paid for just about everything.

2) Another time, we had a two-day off-site held at an inn on the shore in Massachusetts. Just beautiful with a nice trail for walking along the Atlantic Coast. We had a similar two-day off-site at another inn/spa in New Hampshire where they provided chair massages (we got the massages, not the chairs)

3) Also, went to Maine a few times ... one time we went to a 'lobster shack' for sea food ... right on a prototypical craggy Maine coastal area. Really cool.

It's funny, in general, I really don't like my job that much nor am I very fond of life in a coporate cubicle, but I've gotten to go to some pretty cool places and I must say my boss is probably the nicest, most decent human being in the world.

matengu

Share on Orkut

I was recruited by the British Council to go to Kasane in Botswana to teach science to the local children for 4 years it was the best job I've ever had and wish that I still had it.
itu matengu

cayce

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 7th, 2006
Entebbe, Uganda for about two weeks.

I had the most amazing time and I can't wait to get back to Africa and seeing more!!

PreviousNext

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel