Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

What is the coolest place you ever traveled for work?

disaster

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 8th, 2006
DISNEYLAND PARIS RESORT Smile
I'm not kidding....
www.myspace.com/aneta2006

gypsysoul

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 13th, 2006
I used to travel for work a lot but not as much now. Work has taken me to:

SPAIN: Barcelona,Madrid, Marbella
ITALY: Rome, Milan (Venice was a day off)
HONGKONG: twice
MALAYSIA
LONDON - for a feasbility study, and then worked there for 2 years after
US - San Francisco

They were all pretty cool experiences, especially Barcelona and Rome.
http://gypsysoul73.blogspot.com

Katharine

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 20th, 2006
It's a toss up between Whitehorse, Yukon and San Antonio, Texas.

They've sent me twice to Whitehorse for meetings and once to San Antonio for a conference. Whitehorse is amazing and Texas was interesting - not somewhere I would have gone on my own dime, but great to see.

trinculo

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2006
I've only been sent to two places for work -- Houston, TX and Bangalore, India. Guess which was more fun?

Houston seemed pretty dull, and I was only there for a couple of days. I was in Bangalore for three fantastic weeks though. My company put me up in a swanky hotel, and given the exchange rate (USD to Indian Rupees), a meal in one of Bangalore's best restaurants cost as much as at a low-end restaurant in the States. Of course it didn't matter that much since the company was paying for all of it.

India was interesting, delightful, depressing, confusing, dazzling...and so on.

If I went back to India on my own, I wouldn't spend as much money though -- not only because I'd be paying for it myself, but because being in a high-class hotel isolated me a bit from the real experience of the place.

cjun

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2006
The Alsace region of France on the German border
For details of my 2007-2008 RTW trip go to Barry Backpacks Around the World.

Texas Otter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 12th, 2006
Trinculo- few places I have been to in this world is as bad as Houston Texas. I am sure there is someplace, but not a single place is coming to mind right now.

I get to travel a fair bit with work. In the last two weeks I have been in Prague and Amsterdam. I usually get to travel a couple of times a month. The most exciting place so far is Malaysia, but I am going to be traveling to Cape Town soon. So that should be good.
"Trips are not trips to me. They have to be expeditions. I blame this all on Lord Baden-Powell"- Jimmy Buffett
www.DnMAdventures.com | www.metrobloggen.se/AmericanDad

dalaimama

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 13th, 2006
I'm leaving in 2 weeks to go play a hotel gig in Ireland, County Mayo for Sep and Oct. The coolest thing is it's my springboard for my RTW journey, not booking anything after that, just going to see what my travels bring about. But my ticket to Dublin is one way- yeah!!!
Floss

krisk

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 16th, 2006
We put on two or three trade shows a year for work in the US and I also attend a few others. Since most of my "personal" traveling is focused on leaving the country, this works out great. This year I was able to go to Miami, Las Vegas, Boston, NY, and Washington, DC. We also get to fly out early or stay late (if you want to use PTO) so I've been able to do that and see some sights as well (Grand Canyon, Zion, Natl Park, Bryce Canyon)...
Kristen
http://blogs.BootsnAll.com/kris/

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 19th, 2006
When I was teaching in Hiroshima, I had to go to Kagoshima, the southernmost city in Kyushu (the third biggest island in Japan) to set up a conference. All of my co-workers had to head off to Fukuoka that night, bit somebody had to stay behind to clean up. I spent the next day hiking up the volcano and enjoying the falling ash and atmospheric earthquakes.

Also, when I was in the US Air Force during the cold war and stationed in Anchorage, Alaska I got to go on some pretty amazing trips. I'm not at liberty to say where or why. I can say that it's incredible what happens to everyday objects at 60 below...

Endless-Summer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 19th, 2006
So far, I worked for a year in Kuwait City, and now I work in Honduras.
http://expat.typepad.com
http://expat.fotopic.net

Anne-Sophie

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 9th, 2006
Cool place - Sicily.

Most frequent place - Brussels
Second most frequent place - Paris
Third most frequent place - Geneva

Interesting place - East Berlin pre-1989 and the Ã…land islands off Finland

Odd place - and which I wasn't crazy about: Minsk

Ah, the luxury of having someone paying for your trips...

sonofpatter

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2006
Itaught US History, Govt. and Econ outside of the United States for 5 years. It was very rewarding.

For three years I taught in Mexico City and for two years in Damascus, Syria. That's right I taught US history in Damascuc. The Syrians would often ask what I was doing there and I would tell them "teaching US History."

They would respond with "What, are you done in 15 minutes?"

There are two major job fairs for international teaching in the United States. More info at http://www.iss.edu/
http://www.globalretirementvillage.com

Junebug

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 23rd, 2007
Given that I work for a non-profit that deals specifically with Chicago, I don't really get to travel. However, I did get to go to Vancouver and New Orleans for conferences.

Missa25

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 25th, 2007
I'll be traveling to Norway in July with the Prairie Home Compainion. Other than that the most traveling for work has been around Minneapolis, not so fun in rush hour...but working in Norway will be fun!

Royce

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 28th, 2007
I have worked all over the US, but nothing real exciting. Mostly rural areas, the exception was living near the French Quarter in New Orleans.

I worked in London, but half of England has....

I don't think this counts, but my current job has a strange benefit of formal "R&R"'s that gives me and my wife 4 business class round trips from Poland to Nevada (home)each year. In it self this is nothing too great, but in lieu of these tickets I can use the value to fly wherever I want, and I can downgrade to coach and use it for family and friends and whatever. Basically I end up with $18,000 of free air travel to use it how I want! My family has certainly benefitted, and I have used it to go to Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Italy, USA, Poland, and on Wednesday I leave for Kenya and Zanzibar, Tanzania.

I guess it is not travel for work, but it is travel paid for by work which is even better! The best part is that I get paid for these trips...

Lastly, If I have never met you besides on this forum, you are not going to get a free ticket off of me. Wink

www.stricklanrtw.blogspot.com

"A profound or poignant signature quote lends credibility to posts that are otherwise ill conceived or written poorly." -RS

PreviousNext

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel