Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

What is the coolest place you ever traveled for work?

Jeff W

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 29th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Llalewyn:
My company bought this property in San Francisco that averages about two homocides a year. I'm taking the apartment complex and not the neighborhood. I should've gotten hazard pay for going.

I did a temp job for a flower delivery company once. In one day I got to race from Disney, random hotels, hideous subdivisions where you the streets and numbers have no rythme or reason, and the projects. I didn't mind it, it wasn't like I was a pizza delievery guy that's usually a normal target. But then again, there's levels to bad neighborhoods, once you see the worst of the worst, others don't come off as freightening.
-
quote:
Originally posted by Royce:
I guess it is not travel for work, but it is travel paid for by work which is even better! The best part is that I get paid for these trips...

Lastly, If I have never met you besides on this forum, you are not going to get a free ticket off of me. Wink

That's the ticket. Literally. I never heard of something like that before. I don't want a free ticket, I just want a one day a week part time job at your company!

---------
Most interesting place I went for work...as in I got paid to do...I guess it would be the bathroom while I was clocked in and not at lunch. That's sad ain't it?
------------------------------
Everywhere's nice if you are just passing through or you have money, it's a different story to live there.

travel_tech

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 26th, 2008
Charlotte, Philadelphia, and next on the list is beautiful Vermont.

I am seriously considering applying for a job in Key West though.

parisgirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 28th, 2008
The Bahamas. It was the first time I ever had to fly someplace for a job assignment and the first time I ever saw my plane heading down the runway - ten minutes EARLY while I was not even at the gate.
Chris
-----------
WhyGo Paris

travel_tech

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 28th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by parisgirl:
The Bahamas. It was the first time I ever had to fly someplace for a job assignment and the first time I ever saw my plane heading down the runway - ten minutes EARLY while I was not even at the gate.

Oh no! haha. So you flew on standby then?

Anna_ET

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 29th, 2008
Podunk little village in Kazakhstan for my first job doing a geo survey... Horrid place.

Cerebus

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2008
My work has taken me to Many interesting places. I think the most unusual has to be Djibouti (look it up if you don't know about it, the people at Delta had a hard time figuring out where it was). I think the coolest place was 5 months in the Australian Outback...closest town was Katherine. I also lived in Darwin for some time, and Alice Springs. Austraila was my favorite place that work took me. I also did walk across the border of the DMZ in Korea, into the North, they would not allow us any further than that isolated bridge and walkway though. I have also been to GITMO, to the dentention center (I am a government consultant). Once again not very cool, but interesting. I did get a chance to do a little fishing while I was there.

orik

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 3rd, 2008
The best place for working was Sochi probably.
It is in Russian Federation. Very historical, calm city and famous travel destination.

Prague and Greece wasn't bad too.
The worst place for working was India probably. Streets are so crowded, that it becomes frustrating to work at office.

Tommyspanky1

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2008
I got a job recently with a military contractor. Houston Tx, for 2 weeks for medical tests and training/briefing. Houston was horrible..really. Then off to Dubai for some more breifing. Currently in Iraq, WWTP Oper. its very interesting to say the least. Smile The best part is every 120days I get 10days PAID vacation along with a plane ticket from dubai for travel Smile SO far so good.

lovemyluggage

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2008
Tommy, Houston IS horrible! But then, I'm biased, having lived her for 4 years now.

(A personal record: 4 years in the same place.)

The most interesting place I've travelled for work is also the only place I've travelled for work: Thailand. Well, I mean, I came to Houston for work, but it's already been agreed, Houston is not the kind of place you boast about going to. It's the kind of place you boast about being from: I'm from Houston, but I've left now.

Miamc

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 23rd, 2008
Here's a thread that could use a bump.

Going to Austin on Saturday.

First business trip ever: Apple headquarters in Cupertino.

Most glam: Boca Raton Hotel and Beach Club (Florida), The Pointe (Phoenix), and the Ritz Carolton in Naples, Florida. Those were all for sales conferences when I worked in publishing (but not in sales -- I was an editor who go to go do presentations to the sales force).

Most Hated: Las Vegas. Too many Comdexes (Comdexi?) and a couple American Bookseller Asssociation conferences too. Did stay at the Mirage when it first opened.

Oddest Name: Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Longest Stay: Two weeks in Hollywood, Florida. They put me up in a Howard Johnson on the beach. I went swimming just after dawn every morning before driving over to the office.

jk1071

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 23rd, 2008
Barstow! I know, it doesn't sound too exciting, but when I worked at JPL many years ago, some co-workers & I were sent to Barstow to get some hands-on experience at Goldstone & Deep Space Station 15. We got to climb up this very high & extremely teeeny ladder straight up to the top of the 34m atenna dish & just check it out - it was truly an amazing experience!

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 30th, 2008
Not terribly "exotic" and no over-ocean flights involved, but my work has sent me to Fort Collins, Colorado a few times for conferences...and at least in my opinion, it's one really, really cool town. Great college-town vibe, beautifully situated at the foot of the Rockies, not too far from Denver.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 5th, 2008
Several jobs ago, I was able to finagle a trip to Berkeley, CA to attend a week long conference presented by a rather hoity-toity academic society. It really only peripherally had anything to do with my job, but somehow my boss approved my request. While the conference was, well, *interesting*, the best part of the trip was being ditched by a friend who had promised to meet up with me there. Never one to just stay home and pout, I rented a car and had a blast zooming up and down the hills of San Francisco. It was so.much.fun!

Another great trip, same work place, was to Jackson Hole, WY. That conference had everything to do with my job, thus it was incredibly boring. I decided to rent a car and drive up to Yellowstone, just for a day. The south entrance to the park was not yet open, so I had to go the long way, through Idaho and into Montana. It was totally worth it. I was under 25 at the time and had to pay a premium to rent a car -- but wow, best use of $85.

My current job just sends me to lame places, like the county jail or the loony hospital. Who wants to go there?

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 5th, 2008
Berlin for the 2006 World Cup was pretty cool. East Berlin is a place I'd love to go back to for awhile (in the summer).

NYC for a conference and a tacked on weekend was a lot of fun too.

Being 'forced' to live in Australia for a year wasn't a bad gig either.
Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

meagicano

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 9th, 2008
My coolest place was Bogota, Colombia, where I audited an oil and gas company. I got to go there twice - once in September and once in January.

I'm not with that company anymore (I had a really fantastic quarterlife crisis) but that is definitely the coolest place I travelled for work.

PreviousNext

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel