Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

What is the coolest place you ever traveled for work?

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 10th, 2006
Not with my current job, but in the past, I've been sent to a half-dozen major American cities as well as several Hawaiian Islands, but hands down the coolest place I ever was sent on work was to the island of Saipan, via Guam. Actually it wasnt "cool" at all heh it was hot as hell, but yea, that was fun.

Silly me I didnt even know I needed a passport to go to CNMI but they let me through lol

As humbug as business travel can be, I kind of miss having a job with travel as an occassional perk.
<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>

Callilucy

Waitin' For The Lentil Loaf

Share on Orkut

I don't travel for work. Except for once I got to go to rural Missouri. It wasn't very cool. It was an eye opener but not very cool.

(I'm sure Missouri is great and I would have liked to have spent more itme in St Louis but couldn't.)
I don't want to be fearless, I want to be brave.

Destiny

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I'll say Rota, Spain and Amman, Jordan. Wonderful, wonderful times...

Nic
You are a Nic, a class within itself, you cannot be catagorized by anything.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

Frown

I used to travel a lot for work, but now that I freelance, there's no such thing as a free trip.

Among the coolest that come to mind: Haleakala on Maui, Desolation Sound in British Columbia, Oxford, Mississippi oddly enough, with a side trip to GRACELAND, BABY!, Key West, Madrid, Isabel Allende's studio in Sausalito, CA (she's GREAT), NYC (when I didn't live there).

Worst (by far): HOUSTON, HOUSTON, HOUSTON.

Llalewyn

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Yeah, As an accountant I have traveled extensivly to such hot stop as Seattle, a ghetto in LA, a ghetto in SF, and a ghetto in Miami. Why oh why does my company have to buy HUD apartments!!!

meghanwithanh

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I got to run out to get coffee for everyone once....
Meghan
~Levity~

scubamama

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

quote:
a ghetto in LA, a ghetto in SF, and a ghetto in Miami

Yeah, I got to take this really scary trip to a bad part of Dayton, OH once. Mostly I get to see rural Iowa. Not much to write home about there.
O
O
O
o o
oo
o
I
..~ ~ |
[(o o)]J
..\@/

Llalewyn

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

My company bought this property in San Francisco that averages about two homocides a year. I'm taking the apartment complex and not the neighborhood. I should've gotten hazard pay for going.

FUNCHILDE

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Lake Tahoe for a board meeting and the Biltmore in Arizona for training in previous job!
How does one become a butterfly? she asked pensively. You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.
- Trina Paulus

http://www.funchilde.com

SputnikLee

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

one time I had to install software at the University of Anchorage. In the interests of my employer, I got the discount plane fare and stayed the extra Saturday night, and stayed awake about 96 hours.
A life well lived must accept some risk.

Elis

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

ABout 6 years ago I had got to drive a business contact of my boss down to Venice with his family. Of course I had to stay the three days they were there and then drive them back up. They were really nice too.

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2006
quote:
Originally posted by meghanwithanh:
I got to run out to get coffee for everyone once....

LOL, awwwwww
<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>

La Rosser

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 15th, 2006
Meh, how to choose?

I guess I'm most grateful for the trips to Japan. I spend about 3 months in Toyko and lived in Wakayama to help build Porto Europa.

But still, I have to mention Shanghai, Weisbaden, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Brighton, Sydney, Christchurch...really, I've very much appreciated all of the international travel.

In the U.S. I'm glad that HMC sent me to Boston and to Tucson, because those are a couple of interesting places I might not have gone on my own.

La
" Are we there yet?"

marksda1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2006
Current job, it's been years since I got to travel anywhere and that was Dallas.

But the best was my government job (which otherwise sucked), but I got to go to Washington, DC for a week for new hire orientation, so I got to check out the Smithsonian, see the Capitol, etc.

A job that took me out of the office more... ahhh... a dream...

dennisf

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 20th, 2006
It's funny ... I used to work for a company that had offices all around the world and, except for a couple of weeks in a suburb of Chicago, never got to travel outside of the northeastern U.S. Then, a couple of years ago I went to work for a local office of a health insurance company and in the past year I got to go to India (visited Pune, Mumbai, and Aurangabad) and, just recently, the Philippines. Outsourcing may eventually cost me a job but in the mean time, it's gotten me a couple of company-paid trips to Asia ... go figure!!

Next

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel