Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

What movies,books or music helped inspire you to hit the road?

zhinnn

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 11th, 2010
huellas316 wrote:does anyone know where to get Vagabonding (rolf potts) online (for free)? i'd love to read it before leaving...

...I don't think you're going to find that book for free online. But lucky for us it's only $10 on Amazon! :)
I think you'll appreciate it more if you buy it and Rolf Potts probably will appreciate it too. If you really can't afford the $10 then you might check out your local library. It's a great book! And it has filled me with inspiration to travel!

Well the first book that made me want to travel is Matsuo Basho's "Oku no Hosomichi"
It's his travel journal of a journey he took from Tokyo to the North and then South down the opposite coast of Japan. Lots of poetry!
"And so I too- for how many years- drawn by a cloud wisp wind, have been unable to stop thoughts of rambling." - Matsuo Basho

huellas316

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 11th, 2010
True, true... i found it for a whopping $7.21 on amazon, so will most likely invest in it :) although it won't make mr. potts any richer, it'll buy at least 6 double cheeseburgies for the seller! hehe.

another book i just thought of that is BEAUTIFUL... it's called The Art of Pilgrimage (the Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred) by Phil Cousineau, and the first 150 pages are actually on google books, so... that is happy. me encantan los libros gratis! at least this way, you can get a 'feel' for his tone as both writer and traveler, and i think that is pretty exceptional.

namaste, blessed b,
~ melissA

_kimberley

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 18th, 2010
One book that inspired me to go to Jordan was Seven Pillars of Wisdom by TE Lawrence - beautiful, vibrant writing and an incredible story made me want to visit Wadi Rum and befriend a Bedouin! Into the Wild, both book and movie, never fail to be inspiring (to so many others as well, by the looks of things...) and once I got through it on my third try On the Road became a favourite.

As far a movies, I like looking at local cinema of the places I am heading to. Eastern Europe has some phenomenal talent rising, and Asia never fails to amuse (the most amusing was a South Korean one about a private detective who could transform into a wild hog...)

Music... well again a few tracks here and there of music from different cultures always works for me - African singing, egyptian flutes, Central American drums are always worth a listen. As far as western music goes - well U2s 'Where the Streets Have No Name' and Belle and Sebastian's 'Piazza, New York Catcher' were my soundtrack to Europe. Bob Dylan, The Beautiful Girls, Tom Petty and Cold Chisel for some reason (I blame it on being an Australian) always inspire.

RTW2010...

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 19th, 2010
Among the many inspirational books I have read over the past few years two that stand out are

The Song of the Dodo by David Quammen

The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen

Nomadic Nigel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 2nd, 2010
I think watching "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman inspired my trans siberian / mongolia journey initially. We decided to to the route to China. Whilst researching I stumbled on a gem.

By Train to Shanghai: A Journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway by William J Gingles was a diary of one mans journey on the exact route I was taking. I wouldn't say his accounts are entirely accurate based on my experience, there did seem to be a little artistic license but it was a good read.
Have camera, will travel - you coming bro?

Sarah2010

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 7th, 2010
here's another question, has a trip ever inspired you guys to write or create something???

Sarah!
Showcase your creative talents and win a trip to Norway. Your Way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHKYBUsjp4

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 15th, 2010
This is quite an old song but I would like to add "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi, especially after watching him live at his concert last night singing this song and thousands others (including myself) singing our hearts out with him. Fantastic.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Fight Club

aiden_cub

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2010
huellas316 wrote:does anyone know where to get Vagabonding (rolf potts) online (for free)? i'd love to read it before leaving...

where abouts are you? and when do you leave? i have a copy that i could donate to you once i have finished it, i like the idea of passing on books.

as for inspiration, film wise Monsoon Wedding really inspired me with the vibrancy of the culture.
sooooooo many books but in particular Elizabeth Vaughen's Warprize series, how the main character goes on a long journey into the unknown into a new land and culture.

and strangely my inspiration for the vagabonding lifestyle was the cartoon series Pokemon :lol: the way they take off on foot into the wild blue yonder, having adventures and meeting new travellers. strange i know but it did inspire me.
There are sober men a plenty,
There are drunkards barely twenty,
There are men of over ninety who have never yet kissed a girl.
Give me the rambling rover,
and from Orkney down to Dover,
We'll roam the country over and together we'll face the world.

aiden_cub

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2010
oh and the song "the rambling rover" by bob fox (the chorus is my signature) look it up, an awesome song
There are sober men a plenty,
There are drunkards barely twenty,
There are men of over ninety who have never yet kissed a girl.
Give me the rambling rover,
and from Orkney down to Dover,
We'll roam the country over and together we'll face the world.

Maestra LE

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 9th, 2010
I just finished watching Long Way Round, and Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and eastern Siberia have now officially been added to the bucket list. Man oh man, are my feet itching to go right now!

Barton Keyes

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 17th, 2010
Amazing to think that On The Road was written almost 60 years ago, although it wasn't published till 1957. Kerouac's masterpiece seems as fresh as ever and its energy still reaches young people today. Best read between listening to bursts of Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie.
USA by Rail travel guide http://www.usa-by-rail.com

As We Travel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 21st, 2010
The last book I read, "Yoga For Those Who Can't Be Bothered To Do It" by Geoff Dyer inspired me to return to SE Asia, it's such a great book, and Dyer is spot on with many of his descriptions!

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2011
The book that inspired me the most to travel was the old A People's Guide to Mexico, circa 1975. It helped to set off ten years of travel throughout much of Mexico, mostly in the south of the country.

LisaLu

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2011
I second Darjeling Limited!
Another great movie is 180 degrees South

I've read a handful of travel books, but I think I enjoyed reading Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner the most!
Our Blog: http://wallagrams.wordpress.com/
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"
-anonymous-

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2011
Since I am planning another trip to Argentina, I'll tell you what inspired me then and now:

• Paul Theroux's The Old Patagonian Express
  • Bruce Chatwin's In Patagonia
  • Lucas Bridge's The Uttermost Part of the Earth (OOP but worth looking for)
  • Charles Darwin's The Voyage of the Beagle
  • George Gaylord Simpson's Attending Marvels

Previous

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies