Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

What's your best photo tip?

Eowyn218

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 12th, 2005
I would agree w/ morning and late afternoon shots; having said that, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that some of the best shots (in my opinion) I took in Santorini happened to be very close to noon/1pm. I think the important thing is to always be mindful of the location of the sun, and adjust your photos accordingly; or show up at the right time of day, for the angle you want.

Also, I tend to like to layer my shots, with interest in the foreground (i.e. a flower), w/ something in the middle, and then the background. But maybe that's just me. And it's not always the way to go; depends on what you want to accomplish.

And as someone else said earlier, creative, unexpected angles -- not just straight on; perhaps squat down and look up at the subject.

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 28th, 2005
Also...don't think too much. If something looks interesting, take the pic. I can't tell you how many awesome pictures I have snapped on the fly/with very little set up, and how many I have ruined by overthinking my shot.

Luminous Visions

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 18th, 2005
1) Fill the frame!
2) F8 is great!
Steve

Luminous Visions
Centerpiece Photography for Every Room
http://www.luminousvisions.com

Bounty Hunter

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 6th, 2005
As a professional photographer, I see one of the biggest problems is what I call face shadows. Lots of folks wear hats, and when the contrast between the shadow of the face and the skylight, etc. is great, the detail in the shadows will typically be lost, especially if you are using the camera on "auto" or "program" mode. Therefore, use flash to fill in the shadow areas so you'll be able to actually see whom you are photograhing.

silvertoes

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 22nd, 2005
Use a Lomo LC-A Minitar camera - it's small, needs no flash day or night, and makes everything look magical. (Written by a lomographer, of course ;->Wink. Plus, when you join the Lomo community, you've got a whole new group of friends all over the world who can show you places you didn't know existed when you visit their countries.

http://www.lomohomes.com/silvertoes
www.lomohomes.com/silvertoes

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

OK, so you made me research just what you were talking about.

After reading all about these odd little cameras and their ranks of devoted enthusiasts, I must commend you!

WarrenR

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

When travelling, always carry a camera. You never know when that great photo opportunity pops up in front of you. Sometimes, I cycle around with a small camera in my hand (already turned on). I also hold the handle bar with the same hand, so the camera is not so conspicuous.

The bicycle is particularly useful if you spot a person or some other moving object that you want to shoot on film. The bike allows you to move ahead and get a better angle.

cactus_boy

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 29th, 2005
As for the shooting at sunrise/sunset, I tend to take this with a grain of salt. The warm light during these times looks nice, but in certain places (ie the Colorado Plateau in Utah/Arazon) where I do alot of photography, it has some drawbacks. The redish hue of the light sometimes washes out the brighter colors in the rock. Canyons are also hard to photograph when the sun is not shining into them. One side will always be very dark. That being said, play around with it. Don't be afraid to experiment. Use a polarizing filter. We do it cause its fun.

-c_b

Ballie

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 10th, 2005
This is the most important tip I ever got - Remember all of the rules you read and hear and then forgot them.

For instance only take photos at or around sunrise and sunset and you will have striking photos. But they will look like everyone else's photos who read that same rule. They'll also come out looking jaundiced and yellow but most people seem to like thatSmile

Experimentation is the key to great photography. The day a photographer stops experimenting is the day he puts down his camera and becomes a writer.

Eric63

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 4th, 2006
Include a person/people in your photographs to provide your primary subject a sense of scale. Example: If you're taking a picture of the biggest tree/smallest car you've ever seen, put a friend next to it so we can see just how big/small this tree/car really is...

-Eric

http://www.ericlian.com
www.liandigitalmedia.com

jeninparadise

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2006
wow, such great suggestions!! thanks!
sorry in advance if i repeat anyone's, but this is what i've learned:

* if using a digital camera and the lighting is not quite right, focus first on something that has better lighting, then holding the button, go back and frame what you want to focus on and take the picture. this works well towards the end of the day when theres seemingly not enough light.

* i agree that taking multiple shots of the same thing is a great idea! one of them will be the perfect (if not close).

* with a digital camera, avoid zooming in too much for the shot - it takes away from the quality of the picture. you can always crop it later.

* people in their natural moment is best, but yes, aksing to photograph is not always fun. my experience with indigenous people is mostly getting 'no.' however, in india, the friendlier people love getting their photos taken, even entire families!

* notice the small and subtle details in your surroundings...some of them can be amazing shots!
http://flickr.com/photos/esperanzajenn/

buckerooni

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2006
not my tips, but one good, one baffling (remebered from this lonely planet 'travellers tips' book I got for free):

good tip: capture moments, not history

WTF? tip: for your next trip, consider leaving the camera at home an take a sketch pad instead.

surely SURELY that was a joke...

Highcountry

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2006
Keep your camera with you all the time.Smile

It is a certainty that a photo op will be missed if you are sans cam when op presents itself.
"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
President John F. Kennedy

"Some see things as they are and ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and say, 'Why not?'" Robert F. Kennedy

Rob Culp

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2006
creating and editing are two entirely different processes. dont try to edit yourself while shooting. get lost in it. let the creative juices flow and experiment, shoot at every angle, bracket your exposures, go thru a shit load of film! dont worry about the exta cost, itll be worth it when your going thru your prints and start coming across your "happy accidents"

SimonUribeConvers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2006
I know sometimes you have to, but DON´T give the camera to someone else. Not because it´s gonna get stolen (it can happen as well) but in my own expirience, most of the times you get an awful picture, more if the one how´s taking the pic is a farmer or country men. But if you have to, well...
Simon
"...la experiencia ajena es ciencia ficción."

Just strolling around…

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums