Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

What's your best photo tip?

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 29th, 2006
My tip? The light is the most important.

Take your photos in the early morning or the late afternoon. Forget about those 'middle-of-the-day' photos.

gringo_mike

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 30th, 2006
Forget everything you have learned. Dont ask permissiom, be unobtrusive. Shoot into the light. Dont use a lens hood. Dont focus. Loosen up...
My often updated photo blog:
http://www.msimonphoto.com/southamerica/

nina9702

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 11th, 2006
If you're using a digital camera that has the option to change the white balance setting, experiment with it instead of just leaving it at auto. You'll be surprised at the difference if you use custom or other preset settings.
Don't mind me, I'm just wandering.

BeadWillow

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 22nd, 2006
The professionals here might find me a little nuts. BUT, when I am walking around with my digital point n shoot camera, and I need a polarized filter for a shot, I just take off my shades and put one of the lenses over the lens of the camera. Of course, this only works if my glasses are clean Smile

SputnikLee

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 24th, 2006
The best camera is the one you have with you. Always have an ultraportable with you.
A life well lived must accept some risk.

Alana E.

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 11th, 2006
Under expose by about half a stop in bright light. It will make your colours more vibrant!
Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 28th, 2006
make sure ur batteries are fresh, and your film is motivated.
Josh has taken his much needed vacation and will be going on another Christmas to New Years 2011/2012. However, before he does read about his past trips http://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

semicolon

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 25th, 2006
Buy a small pocket tripod to carry with you (mine fits in my leeetle camera bag). I'm trying to find one that has a velcro strap with it so I can attach it to tree limbs, canal bridge railings....etc.
Self-determining karma wannabe....

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 30th, 2006
Keep a steady hand, and your subject in the middle.

Have a nice day, Whistler.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

ivybell

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2007
The subject in the middle? Rule of thirds, please. Yes, sometimes you can make the subject in the middle work, but rarely.

My tip: take lots of photos and don't over-edit. You don't know what you'll find later that is great that you earlier thought wasn't.

stomps

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2007
When taking pictures, I generally try to frame the picture well and I definitely use the rule of thirds. Other than that, I just take loads of pictures and hope some of them come out the way I want.

The main point of this post was to reply to semicolon's comment about velcro for a tripod. I just found an awesome tripod at Best Buy called the "Gorillapod." It's pretty much a bendy tripod--each leg has a bunch of linked spheres that can be rotated any way you like, so you can wrap it around railings or tree branches or set it up like a normal tripod. Plus, it's small. I was skeptical at first, but it was incredibly useful when I took pictures of fireworks and Christmas lights on New Year's Eve from a hotel balcony. Plus, it makes my camera look like it's just stepped out of War of the Worlds.

- Kristin

LolaVT312

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 8th, 2007
That gorillapod thing is so cool! I have never wanted to take a tripod with me as I don't like the bulk (plus I am very adept at losing things) but this thing looks very practical and just kind of fun. Looks like it allows for all kinds of angles which would be great to try out.
-------------------------------------
There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror. ~Orson Welles

http://lolawanders.blogspot.com/

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2007
My Tip...leave the camera behind once in a while. Don't shoot constantly...see the world other than through a lens.

Also if you trust a fellow traveler..exchange your camera...ask them to take some candid shots of you instead of posing. Most of my "posed" photos are as a result of somebody asking me to take their pic and after I have done that they automatically take my camera and say your turn now.I just smile...its good to have some of those too...
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

chris b

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 22nd, 2007
Keep your camera out and your lens cap OFF! Don't be shy about using it, and keep your finger on the shutter. If you can see a shot, point, compose, autofocus and press the shutter in less than a second or two, you will really be able to capture some moments. Of course, it helps to have a camera with a fast autofocus...

Elvie

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2007
When shooting in low light, use the timer rather than pushing the shutter release. Most often in low light where a slow shutter speed is used, camera shake often comes from the depressing of the button. Let the camera do it for you.

Forgive me if someone has already posted this tip - didn't have time to read them all

elv
Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on....

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums