Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

What's your worst travel experience till now?

Samantha Nolan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 25th, 2010
Hey all!

What's your worst travel experience till now?

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 25th, 2010
I think I just had it! Took a 4 hour shuttle van in Guatemala, packed with far too many people, two drunks sitting next to the driver, pitch dark out, rain pouring down, going through twisty mountain roads. I don't think I've ever been so happy to arrive safely somewhere!
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 26th, 2010
I went on the infamous siem reap to bangkok bus route.. (read the Lonely Planet Thailand article or look up bangkok siem reap "ride from hell" or somethin)

Booked bus from siem reap to bangkok through The Siem Reap Hostel (which is a great hostel.. just dont book this bus route through them). Bus company is an hour late because instead of having minibus shuttles or tuktuks bring you to a central bus station.. they drive this big huge ass bus through the narrow streets of siem reap stopping to pickup travellers at each hotel.

Even though it was an hour late, we were actually one of the first ppl to get picked up at 9am. We didnt even finish picking up ppl and head out of siem reap until after 11:30am!! hhaha. Being the first ones on the bus, our bags went to the bottom of the pile. This prevented us from getting off the bus later and booking alternative transportation. Travellers were definitely getting a bit annoyed already. They kept picking up so many ppl other travellers were yelling at the back of the bus "There's no more room!" as the bus crew kept trying to pickup more ppl and restack all the luggage. There was luggage in the aisles all up and down the bus.

So about 30mins outside siem reap, the aircon "broke". [Insert conspiracy theory here] Then 30 mins later we hit our first snack stop... you know the type, where the bus drops everyone off at some overpriced lunch stop with no other ammenities for miles around. This is pretty common in asia, and I'm sure the bus companies setup that station just for tourists to get stuck at. Oh and since there was so much luggage in the aisles, you had to step on the seats or on people's bags to get out of the bus. It was like a jungle gym, haunched over climbing from seat to seat trying not to fall on other people or leave a shoeprint on their stuff..

Then an hour later we came to the 2nd lunch stop... people were yelling that nobody was hungry. The guy a few seats in front of me got in a straight up fight with the bus driver trying to tell him nobody wanted to get off the bus and we should keep driving. That only pissed the bus driver off more and made him take a full hour long lunch out of spite hhaha..

Finally we arrived at the border and took minibuses the rest of the way into thailand. There was a bit of pain there too but nothing compared to that initial leg from siem reap to the border...

jackberry

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2010
My worst experience is an adventure, but am totally annoyed with my backpack that I buy it as brand new and then it suddenly broken when I was climbing a tree to get through to the mountain rocks. The strap of my backpack has been teared on to two parts and then it falls down the mountain. Well, the worst thing there, is when I try to go down and get there my things and food. I just see my bag without all of my things and foods.

Fluffy_bunny

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2010
I was murdered once. That totally sucked :(
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

karen121

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 14th, 2010
Back in the day, before online booking a friend bought tickets for me and 4 other friends we were traveling with. The travel agent misheard her and booked us flights to Budapest in Hungary when we wanted to go to Bucharest in Rominia! Ah well in the end we had a very interesting train journey after our flight.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 14th, 2010
China!! :roll:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2011
busman7 wrote:China!! :roll:

hhahah "China --all of it!" too funny.. I could write a ton of posts on bad experiences in china

still cant decide if it's them or me tho. maybe it's a personal flaw that I cant enjoy myself within their culture. I guess I gotta go back a few more times and subject myself to "chinese travel torture" before I can know for sure.

MrPlow42

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2011
Hitched a ride on a 40' sailboat from Naples, Florida to Key West. When we came out of the lee of Florida a 4' high, steep, short interval, Atlantic swell hit us right on the beam. We rolled 60 degrees back and forth for 3 hours. It was dark, so there was no horizon to focus on to help combat motion sickness. I've been sailing since I was 10 and had only puked once. This time I wished I'd been able to puke because being close to puking is worse than the puking.

NOn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2011
As I left on this journey, i jumped down a step on the way out the door... but must've landed a little bit awkwardly because over the next 27 hours my ankle started swelling up to the size of a balloon (sprained)... Unfortunately those 27 hours involved lugging a heavy rucksack with camping gear onto an overnight train across Slovenia to Venice, waiting for a delayed flight in Venice airport most of the day, arriving in Barcelona too late to catch the bus I was booked on and so having to negotiate my way across the city on foot/subway to get another one (i hate missing connection, really stresses me out). The bus I eventually got on (/had to fight my way onto) was really really cramped and hot and I couldn't move my leg at all for 5 hours so my whole leg was throbbing with the pain... I eventually arrived at my destination at 1am in the morning and had to set up the tent before I could do anything about getting off the ankle. Probably my worst journey ever, I was close to tears pretty much the whole of the last 18 hours for one reason or another...

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2011
well, I LOVED China!!! In Ethiopia, a bridge we were about to drive over completely collapsed and it took many hours for us to decide that the only thing to do was to cross the remains of the bridge (while holding on to some local people and not looking down) and get picked up on the other side.... That was scary!!! But it still wasn't what I would call a "BAD" experience---just one that I don't want to repeat.... My "worse" travel experiences have actually been in my own country (USA) ;-)

Cheers,
Renee

RyuKamagata

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2011
EMH wrote:I think I just had it! Took a 4 hour shuttle van in Guatemala, packed with far too many people, two drunks sitting next to the driver, pitch dark out, rain pouring down, going through twisty mountain roads. I don't think I've ever been so happy to arrive safely somewhere!

I think I've got you beat... Twin-engine Cessna falling out of the sky in central Africa, slamming into the water, the fuselage snapping in half, and the plane as a whole coming to a stop a few meters from shore... Then spending the next 5 minutes frantically carrying wounded people to shore.

rhythm_blues

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2011
Wow, the Africa plane description is more intense than anything that's happened to me, thank goodness! But what I may lack in quality, I make up for in quantity:

- train derailment in Malaysia
- rerouting and long delay coming back to the U.S. on 9/11
- "fender bender" on a plane in U.S. (our plane was on the ground, headed out to the runway, when it clipped wings with another plane on the ground headed to the gate)
- overheated engine on a plane in Hong Kong, causing the cabin to fill up with smoke and set off alarms
- flash flood in Japan, washing away the one mountain road - we were all evacuated a day later by helicopter

I still love to travel, though!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2011
Gee my OZ Greyhound driver nodding off & just missing a parked pickup, pales in comparison.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2011
I'd have to say ANY journey with "Estrella Blanca" bus company in Mexico. One in particular comes to mind - Manzanillo to Acapulco. Should be 7-8 hours apparently, turned into over 24. Bus #1 died JUST after dark somewhere in rural Mexico. Tried to get some sleep. Barely escaped asphyxiation from fumes leaking into bus. Bus #2 rolls past about 05:00, picks everybody up. It was already full. Still nauseous from the asphyxiation fumes, I finally ended up smashed up against a window in the sun just in front of the neglected bus toilet on a bus filled to capacity TWICE with neither air conditioning nor operable windows and an obese woman who smelled like sausage burps slowly absorbing me into the folds of her ever so ample cellulite. That bus stopped at every village, hut, shack, and goat path to pick people up the whole way there. Worst. Trip. Ever.

Next

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets