The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

What to do next--overwhelmed by research!

wordygirlj

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 14th, 2011
So, I'm a regular reader and occasional poster on these forums--I 'know' most of you, but you don't know me! Right now, I've got a big...problem? Question? Let's just say, a situation that I think you might be able to help me with. I wasn't sure exactly where to put this because it's so broad, so hopefully this is the right place! Thanks for any help you may be able to offer :) And thanks for reading a long post!

Here's the deal: Right now, I live in my beautiful hometown and work at a job that, while sometimes fun, is not exactly fulfilling, and I'm tired of being stuck in the same place. I would love to live somewhere different for awhile--not just travel, but spend six months, a year, even more--an open-ended amount of time I guess--in someplace new and interesting. I spent 8 months in Germany last year, and realized what an enlightening experience it can be to experience daily life in a new place instead of just traveling.

I don't have a degree. I do plan on getting one eventually, but I don't know what in, and I don't want student loans to pay off unless I'm sure of what I'm studying. I know this would open up my possibilities, but right now, it's not on the table.

As for money, I barely make enough to pay my living expenses. I hope to be able to save about $1000 by December, and leave then (my work is tied to sports and our season slows down then, so it seems as good a time as any to leave). I'm not going to have a lot of money, so I can't just wander. I can buy a plane ticket, and that's pretty much it!

So once I'm in whatever place I decide to go to, I will need away to support myself. A job of some kind, or even a volunteer placement that pays for room and board in exchange for work (I've seen a few), whatever. I want to be able to see if I can build a life for myself somewhere else, though, not just stay in some program--though organizing the first few months before I go is not a bad idea!

I have done A LOT of research, so much that I'm overwhelmed. I went from, anything's possible, to, there are too many possibilities that I don't even know which ones are feasible!

I'll go anywhere in the world, and do just about anything, with the qualifier that I am not super outdoorsy and do not wish to live in a tent in the middle of nowhere for months on end. I'd prefer Latin America as I'd like to improve my Spanish, and more specifically, would LOVE an opportunity in Mexico City, but if you are able to point out something super cool in New Zealand or Uganda or Thailand, that certainly wouldn't be out of the question.

So I'm leaving it in your capable hands, bootsnallers: any ideas for a degree-less, broke girl to settle somewhere in the world for a few months or years?

Thank you!!

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

1. Apart from learning Spanish, what things interest you? What would you spend your time doing if you could?

2. Would you teach English?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

If you're looking at Central America working in a bar in Antigua or some other touristy place is about the only option.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

wordygirlj

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Mama-to-many wrote:1. Apart from learning Spanish, what things interest you? What would you spend your time doing if you could?

Photography! But as I'm no professional, that's just a hobby. I love working with kids, but wouldn't particularly want to be an au pair--would like more independence than living with a family and being tied to their lifestyle. Honestly I spend most of my time wandering & taking photos. I also like good vegetarian food. Which my hometown has plenty of & I'll miss! However eating is not a profession and I cannot cook :P But...I'd be a tour guide, love just seeing the sights, and meeting people from all over the world, it sounds pretty cool, but I have no idea how to go about that.

2. Would you teach English?

Yes! I would jump at a chance to teach English, but was under the impression that there aren't really jobs available for me as I don't have a degree.

busman7, I'm looking at all of Latin America as a preference and all of the world, anyway--I wouldn't mind working in a bar in some touristy place, though I don't know how easy it is to continuously make a living that way.

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

That is a chalenge to say the least. 1000$ will barely pay for airfare, and that in case you find a good sale. Even S America is not close enough. Unless you go to Australia or New Zealand, or some other countries with decent wages it may be tricky to suport yourself.
After a few reasons why you should stay home, let's focus on a positive outcome
Here are some sugestions, some more unrealistic than others:

- Try to find some cheap accomodation through these boards at a desired destination. Trade english lessons for accomodation for example.

-you can try to get a job in Australia, New Zealand. Likely you need a work visa and that is ussualy a pain. Just about every contry in the world does a good job a making things dificult.....

- Or a place like Thailand or some SE Asia country teaching English ( not sure how the lack of degree will fit in...)

-or you can try the " Green Card plan". If it works in the US it's got to work somewhere else......

-You can also try to start or support a business. With your passport you can travel much easier than others, and for that reason you could be quite helpful for some busineses trying to get into the US market for example. Import export busineses are quite common in South America, and they would need help in setting contacts in the US.

- A variation of the above would be to get a job into a place like Aguas Caliente, Cusco..., or any other touristic spot where businesesss need english speaking staff.

From your post I would say that you want to leave something behind rather than going for something specific. Are you relatively confident that you will enjoy your new adventurous lifestyle?

Good Luck !

wordygirlj

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Traveler_2007 wrote:That is a chalenge to say the least. 1000$ will barely pay for airfare, and that in case you find a good sale. Even S America is not close enough. Unless you go to Australia or New Zealand, or some other countries with decent wages it may be tricky to suport yourself.
After a few reasons why you should stay home, let's focus on a positive outcome
Here are some sugestions, some more unrealistic than others:

Well, I know it's a challenge, but it's what I've got :) Or will have, rather. Unless we work some awesome tournaments at the end of the year in which case I'll have a bit more. But, yeah, that's what I've got, and less than that has gotten me airfare to Europe before so I'm thinking Central/South America shouldn't be totally out of the question!

- Try to find some cheap accomodation through these boards at a desired destination. Trade english lessons for accomodation for example.

What route exactly would you suggest for seeking this kind of arrangement? These boards don't seem exactly full of this sort of thing seeing as we're all travelers here and thus our homes are more likely to be the US, Canada, W. Europe, etc....and I was thinking of going someplace more along the lines of Mexico, Guatemala, Chile.....

-you can try to get a job in Australia, New Zealand. Likely you need a work visa and that is ussualy a pain. Just about every contry in the world does a good job a making things dificult.....

- Or a place like Thailand or some SE Asia country teaching English ( not sure how the lack of degree will fit in...)

-or you can try the " Green Card plan". If it works in the US it's got to work somewhere else......

My worry with Australia/New Zealand is that a high cost of living means I wouldn't be able to support myself if I couldn't get a job quickly.

English teaching jobs don't seem to be very attainable for people without a degree.

A green card gets you in....but what to do once there is a whole other question...

-You can also try to start or support a business. With your passport you can travel much easier than others, and for that reason you could be quite helpful for some busineses trying to get into the US market for example. Import export busineses are quite common in South America, and they would need help in setting contacts in the US.

While I don't have the money to start my own business, I'd do pretty much any kind of work (barring the unsavory kinds, you know what I mean), so if you have any further information about how to find a business job like this, I'd love the help!

- A variation of the above would be to get a job into a place like Aguas Caliente, Cusco..., or any other touristic spot where businesesss need english speaking staff.

My impression was that these jobs go to locals with varying levels of English before native English speakers from other countries, but if you have any information to the contrary, I'd love to hear it!

From your post I would say that you want to leave something behind rather than going for something specific. Are you relatively confident that you will enjoy your new adventurous lifestyle?

Pretty sure, yes. Here, I am not moving forward. I recently hired for 4 new positions at my job (a responsibility that seems like it should involve me getting paid more! but it's a very small company), and received almost 100 applications, many of which were from people far more qualified than I. Seeing this, I don't think I'm likely to find a better job here, and honestly, I don't want a better job here--I just want something new. I want something new and different and I want to get to know a new place, and I want to feel like I'm moving forward, experiencing new things in my life, regaining perspective.

Good Luck !

Thank you!

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 15th, 2011
If you could do some delayed gratification.......you could........spend your money on a TEFL certificate, work a bit longer to save the airfare to SEAsia, get a job teaching English......

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

English teaching jobs don't seem to be very attainable for people without a degree.

There's two kinds of English teaching jobs: high paying ones (Korea, Japan, Taiwan etc) that require degrees, and low paying ones (Bolivia, Mongolia, Nepal etc) that don't. In a lot of countries, simply having a native English speaker on staff can give a school a major reputation boost. While the pay in low-paying once is nothing by western standards, it's usually enough to live quite well locally.

So it's possible, but the low paying jobs are also harder to find - these are not the jobs you get hired through an international agency for - and there's no guarantees that you'll find one fast enough. $1000 isn't much to travel on anywhere.

Alternatively, there's a trade in fake degrees for visa purposes. I used to work with a girl who used a fake degree to teach in Taiwan for several years. Actually she's back in Taiwan now, so I imagine that's still working for her. You'll probably need more money, though, since you'll have to buy the degree first.

My impression was that these jobs go to locals with varying levels of English before native English speakers from other countries, but if you have any information to the contrary, I'd love to hear it!

Sort of true. A lot of places that cater to high end tourists would prefer to have a westerner (if they can find one cheap enough), since their customers prefer to be insulated from cultural gaps as well as linguistic ones.

Some people do leave home with nothing but a plane ticket and a few hundred bucks. And they often do fine. Sometimes they'll run out of money the first week and have to go home, though.

Best suggestion, I think, is to find a second job and work your ass off until it's time to leave. Even if it's only $100/week or so, if you put it all into savings, that's almost $4k, effectively quintupling your savings fund. It'll be tiring, but having an extra cash cushion to get you started will give you a much higher chance of success.
Last edited by 2wanderers on February 15th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

zhinnn

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I'll quote Rolf Potts from his book "Vagabonding" on this one.

"After all... anyone else could work for eight months as a toilet cleaner and have enough money to ride a motorcycle across China. Even if they didn't yet have their own motorcycle, another couple months of scrubbing toilets would earn them enough to buy one when they got to China."

If you don't mind hanging around your current town for a few more months than December, why not grab a job in something like fast food that, while not glamorous, could give you more money for future living expenses. That way you can head somewhere cheap and live fairly well without having to worry about work. I know you said you wanted more to live somewhere than to travel. So why not save up the money and live without being tied down to a job?

Best wishes for whatever you do!
"And so I too- for how many years- drawn by a cloud wisp wind, have been unable to stop thoughts of rambling." - Matsuo Basho

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I just bought a one way ticket from Chicago to Colombia for $215-and that's including taxes from http://www.spirit.com/Default.aspx. So the flight thing should be no problem.

From my understanding, you can take the TEFL course without a degree. You can't get the working visa without the degree. So if you can get a job teaching English and find a way to play with the tourist visa restrictions, by all means, go for it.

With the WHV for Australia and New Zealand, I'm pretty sure you need proof of funds that you can sustain yourself in the case you don't find a job. Have you considered WWOOFing? You could attain new job skills doing that, making yourself more employable elsewhere.

Some hostels offer work in exchange for a bed.

Have you checked out http://www.couchsurfing.org/? There's free accommodation, and the locals you're staying with will know the job market and what's going on in the area.

And I third (or fourth) the getting a second job idea.

Best of luck!
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I don't have a degree but do have a TEFL & I'm heading to Cambodia to teach in May or June. Seems like the place where wages are the most livable & lots of jobs.

Found a flight on Aero Svit from Toronto & NYC Tto Bangkok $638 it's a cheap bus trip from there to Phnom Penh.

Check out http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

What route exactly would you suggest for seeking this kind of arrangement? These boards don't seem exactly full of this sort of thing seeing as we're all travelers here and thus our homes are more likely to be the US, Canada, W. Europe, etc....and I was thinking of going someplace more along the lines of Mexico, Guatemala, Chile.....

See a posting in this thread regarding the above arrangement. The other option is to try to search craiglist and other alike forums...

...- Or a place like Thailand or some SE Asia country teaching English ( not sure how the lack of degree will fit in...)

There some advice already posted on the subject as well

-or you can try the " Green Card plan". If it works in the US it's got to work somewhere else...... [/quote]...this means to marry somene in a country you select... a bit radical I admit ..but if that country is Columbia I can see some pros to this option...JOKING
A green card gets you in....but what to do once there is a whole other question...

Once at destination, try networking. In the US try reaching out to the expat community from the country you're trying to get to.....Just a couple of ideas. There is no recipe for any of this, just ideas that you can explore.

While I don't have the money to start my own business, I'd do pretty much any kind of work (barring the unsavory kinds, you know what I mean), so if you have any further information about how to find a business job like this, I'd love the help!

Pretty sure, yes. Here, I am not moving forward. I recently hired for 4 new positions at my job (a responsibility that seems like it should involve me getting paid more! but it's a very small company), and received almost 100 applications, many of which were from people far more qualified than I. Seeing this, I don't think I'm likely to find a better job here, and honestly, I don't want a better job here--I just want something new. I want something new and different and I want to get to know a new place, and I want to feel like I'm moving forward, experiencing new things in my life, regaining perspective.

As you can see in 24hours there have been quite a few ideas generated. There is no question if you start traveling you will get lost of new experiences. Lots of them

From your post and comments about school, I can only assume that you are quite young. While both school and travel are extremely usefull you may want to strive for some balance between the two. Just travel with no school, that will be prety hard. School , better job, more money, better travel oportunities.....and so on, you get the idea. Travel will open you mind to new perspectives, as you correctly point out, and likely help you with many jobs as well.

Good Luck !

Thank you![/quote]

wordygirlj

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I am trying to find a second job but no luck--there are no jobs here--to give you an idea of the situation, a local grocery store recently had an open position for a bag boy. They posted online saying any interested applicants should show up at a certain time to the store and hand in their application in person.

200 people showed up, many of them very much overqualified for a job bagging groceries.

So I think I'm stuck with what I've got. But perhaps I can save up enough money to also take some kind of TEFL course and get a job after that.....I'll have to do some research about what course to take, where, how much it will cost, etc., but maybe it'll work. There are places I know you can get a working visa without a degree and teach English. Mexico seems to be a good possibility, and if I intend to work only in Mexico for the time being, I could save a lot of money by taking a local course there that isn't a brand-name like CELTA or something, and it would help me find jobs in Mexico. So that's what I'm thinking right now....But who knows what will change in the next year!

Thanks for the ideas and advice, everyone!

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum