Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

What travel habits would you change if you could afford to?

koreth

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 27th, 2012
If you were to come into a moderate sum of money somehow, what would you change about how you do your long-term travel? I'm not talking "private jets and penthouse suites" rich or anything, more like, say, "sold a house" kinds of money.

My impression is that many of the common aspects of long-term travelers' travel styles are kind of a matter of budget rather than of unconstrained choice, and I'm curious what people would do to make their vagabonding even more rewarding or fun or pleasant if money weren't the limiting factor (within reason).
One-way ticket to Finland, leaving July 16. Winging it after that.

asailorshort

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 27th, 2012
In no particular order, I'd:
- get private hostel rooms more often
- stay in a real hotel occasionally (like 2-3 days a month maybe)
- go to some (but not all) of high ticket price adventures/destinations (ie Galapagos)
- more afternoon beers (alcohol is a separate budget item for me so I 'save' them up)
- get lazy and take taxis more often

And although this isn't one of my things, as I have a steady monthly income even while traveling, I'm guessing the most popular answer you'll get from BnA'ers is TRAVEL LONGER!

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2012
Better accommodation and
Taxis instead of using local buses which take forever sometimes and
Guided city tours instead of walking so much, my old feet are not what they used to be.
Business class air travel would be a real treat especially on long haul flights, it would be lovely to lay down.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

I would like to do an extended RTW without ever using an airplane but would like hot air balloon tours of interesting places. 8-)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

More taxis and adrenaline activities, skiing and scuba diving in particular I think. :)

I'd still stay in hostels though, but spring for the private rooms more often. You'd just never meet people in a fancy hotel when traveling solo.

Mama-to-many

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

frequency....I'd be gone more!

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 8th, 2012
A decent-sized inheritance or something of the like would basically let me travel long-term the same way I travel short term:
- upgrades to first class busses/trains (but still couldn't justify the cost of 1st class air seats...they're outrageous for a few hours of comfort)
- selection of accommodation based solely on how nice the place sounds. I dislike big corporate hotels, so it's not like I'd just book into the Sheraton in every city, but when I travel short term, I don't balk at a B&B or boutique hotel in the $130/night range, and I'd like to not have to think about that when I go for longer, either.
- stop saying no to adventures. Ballooning in Cappadoccia, paragliding, more scuba, a full week cruise in the Galapagos instead of cutting short to 4 days to save money. That kind of thing.
- sign on to more tours. Not the whole trip, and not the big bus tours that ferry you from museum to shopping to art gallery to shopping... But I've looked into small group (8-12 person) adventure tours, and lots of them sound like loads of fun, enhancing rather than overpowering the experience, but I've always balked at the price, which usually run somewhere around 5 times the cost of going independently.

travel droppings

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2012
Hotels instead of hostels. As I get older I prefer my personal space free of judgement. Or at the least, I would only consider private rooms, ensuite.
Eat at nicer restaurants.
Take more showers. Much easier since I have my own room.
Go to more places.
Buy more gifts for friends and family.
I would travel overland as much as possible, taking repo cruises to get across the oceans and trains to get over land.

Wow, if I could be so lucky to have those things, I would be forever a happy guy...
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2012
I think my previous trip to Iceland is probably best representative of what I'd do differently.

- Would not have spent ages going through every car rental company possible. Just would have booked the first company I came across. Additionally, I would have gotten a larger car size and picked the car up at the airport instead of in the city centre

- Would have definitely added a homestays or two for accommodation on the drive around

- Instead of eating just one really good yet expensive meal in a restaurant would have done it quite a bit more often. The food in Iceland is excellent

- Would have stayed in a hotel room closer to the town centre. Transport on Sundays is a pain in Reyk.

Anyway, that's the general idea. Essentially, would use the extra money to buy back time and also increase the opportunities to have more experiences that otherwise might be cost prohibitive.

lilpigs2001

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 17th, 2012
1.) I would visit countries with higher cost of living and exotic locations. Northern European countries, Tahiti, Western Europe...
2.) I would like to travel with no luggage. I can buy a couple of essentials as I travel. And when I'm done with it, donate it. If I travel to countries with different climate, I can avoid carrying around thick clothing that will weigh me down.
Part time nomad: Travel blog for like minded moms. http://parttimenomad.blogspot.com/

Maestra LE

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 9th, 2012
1) Private hostel rooms.
2) Adventure activities, like surfing, sailing, pony-trekking, etc.
3) Visiting places which are prohibitively expensive given my current means, like Scandinavia and the South Pacific.
4) More nice restaurant meals.
5) The occasional business class seat on long-haul flights.
6) And finally, I'd travel LONGER!

b_xandari

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 31st, 2012
As a travel newbie, I think I'd still want a few things previously mentioned.
1. More activities. I know I won't be able to afford all the awesome things there are to do and see.
2. Private rooms. I'm a private person and dorms with strangers still scares me a bit, but I'm sure getting out of your comfort zone is the point.
3. More travel. The little I've traveled here in the US has me hungering for more. Can't wait for my next trip.
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller.

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel